General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike week bike shipping

Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bike week bike shipping

Those of you that have shipped your bikes to Biketoberfest from New England, New York or New Jersey, what shipping company do you use and what's the average round trip rate?

I have a friend that is weighing the options of shipping his bike or renting a bike for biketoberfest 2016.

Before the "Real bikers ride" crew start their preaching: 1. My friend can only take 4 days of vacation and 2. Those comments aren't helpful. So I respectfully ask that you keep your comments to yourself.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Scams

Please research your transportation choices carefully. Make sure you know who you are dealing with. If loading up into a truck take as many pictures you can of the persons & truck. I was in Sturgis (I believe) when the truck load of bikes disappeared with all bikes. Make sure your bike is insured for this, it is relatively cheap when documented correctly with a separate policy. Hope to see you there & good luck.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Do you have anything that can tow? What about a uHaul trailer.. those are pretty cheap.

probably wouldn't help with the timeline unless one of you can stay longer. I'm assuming you're flying down.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Seriously...he should rent...cheaper and best option (IMO).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

It would seem that time constraints might make things a bit challenging but it could be fun.
If they want to ride their own bikes, there is the option of Amtrak but with those time constraints the cost would be about even with a rental bike + airfair.
Although you would have no hotel or meal cost for the night in and the night out.
It would allow the person about 1.5 days total in Daytona proper.
Amtrak has the AUTO TRAIN that goes from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, Florida.
Train boarding in Lorton is about 4 to 5 hours from NY, NJ area.
Train boarding in Sanford is about 1 to 1.5 hours from Daytona.
They run overnight departing from 4pm and arriving at 9am.
As an alternative a cheap flight into an area of Florida that is a couple of hours away from Daytona and rent a bike for duration.
If they could get an extra day off then the train might work out better if they want to ride their own bike.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Fredh
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Ck 5 transport in Sanbornton NH. I used for for Sturgis in 2013, $850 round trip. My uncle uses them for Daytona every year. Check out their website.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

The problem with trucking your bike to an event is getting it there for the day you want it there, and being available to load it back on the day you want it to leave. Who receives it and who loads it? You also have to get to Daytona from wherever you're flying in from and return to the airport.

I would consider either flying to Orlando and renting a bike there (still need to figure logistics to dealership and back), or as somebody else mentioned take the train with the bikes from Lawton to Sanford. I have done the train and it's fun.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rent, its going to be the most economical and flexible.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,498 Likes on 6,629 Posts

I would rent. No risk of loss or damage to your motorcycle that way.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:23 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Put me down in the 'rent a bike' camp, too - as much as I'd love having one of my bikes there to enjoy, the logistics dictate renting - easier and probably cheaper. Plus it's fun to try a different bike sometimes.

Isn't that the old joke, why is a Harley better than a woman? A Harley doesn't get pissed off if you ride another Harley?

Last time I went to Daytona, we trailered from northern WV down, three bikes, two in the truck, one (mine) on the trailer. We threw an axle about 100 miles out of our hometown, left the broken trailer with a friend and I rode over 700 miles to Daytona through the cold and sleet. It was freaking miserable. And I was young then. Today? I'd fly down and rent.

But that's me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike week bike shipping