General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer for towing FLHXXX & FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 PM
peramus
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer for towing FLHXXX & FLHX?

Ok, without going down the rabbit hole of "why don't you just ride it there" I am looking to get a trailer to haul the wife's FLHXXX and my SG. Not gonna say money isn't an object but I'd rather pay for 1 trailer than settle for something. I will be towing it with a 2014 ram 1500 that's rated for about 8600# (for now... after the lease on this one is up I'm thinking of getting a 2500 diesel). What I don't want is a trailer I will be "playing tetris" with. Don't want to have to push the trike up the ramp backwards or have to pull the bike in and lift and move it (bad backs may have something to do with the need for a trailer in the first place). It would be REALLY nice if I could squeeze another bike in there (or 2?) once in a while if I have to.

So with that out of the way... I'm leaning toward an 8.5x20 and thinking this is the best way to go for what I need. But looking for some input on A) Towing a trailer that big with a 1/2 ton truck (not gonna be an every weekend thing... most of the time we just ride em) and B) fitting multiple motorcycles around "the **** star's" big ol' trike booty (get it FLH"XXX"... yes that's what she named it!)

It would be awesome if anyone had a pic of a trike in an 8.5' trailer... especially with other bikes... seems like most of the pics I've found either involve the trike by itself (I'm put hers in a 6x12 and used every dang inch of that thing) or of someone trying to stack 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

You didn't mention the terrain you will be towing on the majority of time. On flat ground I believe the Ram will do fine. If your intention is to tow in the mountains you can give the Dodge a better chance by installing a large transmission cooler, along with a weight distribution hitch. E rated tires would also be a smart upgrade.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I tow a 7 * 12 TA with a Tundra. Plenty of power but the MPG is pretty bad. My next truck will be a diesel. If you are looking at the ram 2500, consider the 3500.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:34 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,201 Likes on 5,397 Posts

I had an 8.5x20 v-nose...hauled 3 bikes all the time..can't see a trike and 1 bike being a problem. Weight distribution hitch and brake controller are a must. Dropped my MPG from 17 to 9...didn't matter if the trailer was overloaded or empty...was like pulling a parachute. With a 1/2 ton you need to really look at trailer weight, some trailers weigh more than others, the lighter ones are more expensive.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Dodge is now offering a half ton truck with a small diesel in it that gets great fuel economy and makes a lot of torque.

As for as a trailer, Cargo Craft has some great options. It might be worth getting one of those that has a small sleeping compartment if you are going to be doing a lot of trailering.

I have a 6' X 13' single axle vnose to haul my bike in. A dual axle 26' would accommodate what you are looking for. Mine is a Vector trailer which is one of Cargo Craft's line. I only haul my bike in it when I need to get it to a mechanic shop.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

If all you are going to do is tow a TriGlide and a SG, you may want to consider a 7x18 tandem axle enclosed aluminum motorcycle trailer with a v-nose. It has enough width and length and they are usually just over 2000#.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:42 AM
peramus
Cruiser

Ok, I live in eastern NC (flat as hell...) But generally the trailer won't be for around town (besides breakdowns and using it as a trail vehicle for group rides). I'm thinking some trips to PA and some trips to the western part of NC (Yeah mountains) and maybe heading south once in a while. I don't expect to use it every time i travel so if it doesn't get the best of mileage oh well. Like I said the 1500 I already own and I've got buddies with the new diesel and have some mixed feelings there (in my opinion it's just not a mini cummins). But I'm less interested in discussing the next truck purchase (I got the plan there). But I should also mention that the truck has an electric brake controller and the full towing kit (class V etc)

On the trailer side with a 7x18 V-nose (which is my other thought besides the 8.5x20). what would the "layout" be for the two or three bikes? Is there enough room in there for the trike and 2 SG/EG's? I know with the 8.5x20 I can park the trike in the v-nose, be able to dance around it and still have plenty of room for two dressers side by side behind it. I also know that parking that thing in a 6' wide trailer made me have to climb over it to get out. Basically the two parts of the question is does the 7x18 have enough room for everything AND is the difference between towing a 7x18 and an 8.5x20 THAT significant that I shouldn't just go for the big boy?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 AM
peramus
Cruiser

Oh... one more thought for the masses... would it be worthwhile to drop a foot in height (most 8.5x20's are 6'6" tall I figure 5'6" would make the trailer both lighter and less wind resistant I'm 6'1" but the bikes aren't ;-)

Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dry unloaded weight for an 8.5 x20 isn't to bad, about 3700 give or take, for the truck you have. You will feel it back there, but easily towable. With a trike and dresser, that's only a couple thousand more, so figure 6k total weight. Still easy enough for the truck you have.

in a 8.5 wide trailer you should be able to fit a trike which is about 4.5 feet wide and a dresser side by side with ease. That being said, I think 20' feet is way to long. If it were me, I would go with an 8.5x14 with the bikes side by side. A 20 foot trailer is 24' long with the tongue. Makes parking and getting around more challenging.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...trailer-2.html

On page two there is a picture of a trike and RK in a 8x20 trailer, again with an 8.5 they should fit side by side no problem.

Quick Reply: Trailer for towing FLHXXX & FLHX?