General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS are we getting stupier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Tell me about "braking error" when you're riding in fast traffic on a rain-slicked highway and a slower vehicle cuts in front of you or pulls out in front of you, and you need to stop or slow down NOW. The worst error you can make there is not having ABS.

Funny....I've never had a bike with ABS, I've been cut off many times and have never gone down because of it or hit the vehicle that cut me off.

So, where is the "error" in not having ABS?

Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Funny....I've never had a bike with ABS, I've been cut off many times and have never gone down because of it or hit the vehicle that cut me off.

So, where is the "error" in not having ABS?
Exactly.

What's more important?

- The skill and situational awareness of the rider.

- The absolute braking performance of the bike (non-ABS...I mean how strong are the brakes).

- The presence of ABS

I've ridden on bikes where the brakes were so bad they were absolutely dangerous. Remember back in the day when you were too cool to have a front brake and only a drum on the rear? Yep.

My current rides have so-so brakes. Dual disks on the front of my FLHTC, single disk on my FXR. Both are running the factory calipers. Pretty crap brakes by modern standards. I've improved them by adding some softer compound modern pads, but still, compared to a sport bike, they suck ***.

So what.

Know your bike. Know your stopping distance requirements. Know your surroundings. There are a bunch of us who have decades of riding experience and have never had ABS and have also never run into something for lack of stopping distance.

That's my beef with ABS. Its fine, but in the overall scheme of things, it only really matters after you have ****ed up royally and need a computer to bail you out of your mistake.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Rahjerz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Here's a riding tip for ya, Rahjerz: Get your braking done before you transition from asphalt to gravel.

I live on a gravel road.
Don't need a tip, did this 40 years ago and learned a valuable lesson. Thanks anyways.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Stupier? I guess so.
Good thing you never make mistakes..spelling or otherwise. Pretty lame of you to do that post.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

The data behind the safety of ABS versus not is staggering in motorcycles just like it is in cars. Think it may have already happened in Europe starting in 2016, can you even buy a new Bike there without ABS?

Like it or not....It's really just a matter of time until the government forces more safety features on us just like cars. Think the auto industry wants to pay to put in seat belts, ABS, airbags or crumple zones? They are forced to because we are too foolish as a society to buy the safe models if cheaper modes without seat belts, ABS, airbags or crumple zones are an option.

Same for seat belt or child restraint laws. It's really sad that we have to follow a damn law to protect our own children.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ew25950
The data behind the safety of ABS versus not is staggering in motorcycles just like it is in cars. Think it may have already happened in Europe starting in 2016, can you even buy a new Bike there without ABS?

Like it or not....It's really just a matter of time until the government forces more safety features on us just like cars. Think the auto industry wants to pay to put in seat belts, ABS, airbags or crumple zones? They are forced to because we are too foolish as a society to buy the safe models if cheaper modes without seat belts, ABS, airbags or crumple zones are an option.

Same for seat belt or child restraint laws. It's really sad that we have to follow a damn law to protect our own children.
Actually I think it is sad that some idiot pushing papers thinks that they need to tell me how to live my life and protect our children.

I spent my youth riding in the back of pick up trucks....back window of a ford galaxy 500....riding my bicycle/bike without a helmet....I can do on and on...but I think you get it....as far as I am concerned...the nanny bitches can suck it....lets go back to less interference from government and more of what it was back then....

Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
Actually I think it is sad that some idiot pushing papers thinks that they need to tell me how to live my life and protect our children.

I spent my youth riding in the back of pick up trucks....back window of a Chrysler 300....riding my bicycle/bike without a helmet....I can do on and on...but I think you get it....as far as I am concerned...the nanny bitches can suck it....lets go back to less interference from government and more of what it was back then....
Yeah, we did too (but a bunch of us aren't here anymore either.)

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

Although the U.S. population has been growing steadily since 1975, the rate of motor vehicle crash deaths per 100,000 population has declined by more than half. During the 39 years in which national fatal crash data have been collected, the death rate per 100,000 population for passenger vehicle occupants in 2013 was at an all-time low.

Number of deaths, crashes and motor vehicles in fatal crashes, 1975 vs 2013

Year Deaths Crashes Motor vehicles

1975 44,525 39,161 55,534

2013 32,719 30,057 44,868

(With numbers this significant, I'm pretty sure that the 'nanny state' is here to stay.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 02-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Must be a psychological thing. If I don't want something I don't buy it. What is there to discuss? Your money, your life, and nobody really cares anyway.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:38 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I am the kind of person that says, that why not have something to help you keep it up and not on its side and your hurt? Why wouldn't you want that extra help?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Hate to say it but FAR too many people who operate motorcycles never learned how to properly and aggressively use the front brake. I recommend to anybody who will listen to learn on the dirt trying to go fast. I learned it racing MX at a competitive level and on my Harley today I still apply those lessons. TBH on the street on my big heavy Breakout I pretty much just use the front brake all the time, since its so heavy from what I'm used to I also use the rear just to prevent premature wear on the front pads LOL.

Yeah my bike has ABS also which is fine by me, in a panic stop it will come in handy, really don't see a down side to it. More than anything the ABS helps you to be able to continue to steer in a panic stop....locked up wheels don't steer.

Last edited by HenryT; 02-09-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS are we getting stupier?