General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My coldest ride yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 PM
KingDevil13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My coldest ride yet

So previously I had only ridden rockets and anything really under say like 55 degrees just wasn't too fun in my opinion. Going face first at the cold air just isn't appealing really. But this week I had recently purchased my new(used) 2004 Sportster 883 and here in Chicago we've been having some lovely cold *** weather and snow, but today it hit a high of about 40 where I am, so I decided it was the day to ride my Harley home from where it was being stored which was 30 miles away. By the time I got to the bike and was ready to ride it was 32 degrees out so with the wind(which there was a **** ton of wind today) about 20 degrees, I packed on quite a bit of layers and a scarf over my face and I must say tho, I had an absolute blast! Not only was it my first time truly taking my new bike out, I was actually rather comfortable and warm with the layers. I don't know if I would brave anything much colder as to how my hands were quite a bit cold but it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. I cannot wait for the upcoming season and go really ride the **** outta this Harley

Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

grate on the new bike

My wife got me a pair of cold weather gloves for v-day as I had been using the same gloves I use in the summer and freezing my fingers. Great gift.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Heated grips make all the difference.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 PM
KingDevil13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them but had trouble getting them to actually kick on is have to press the button a good 20 times before they'll turn on. Think there's a short somewhere

Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,602 Posts

Cold weather sucks! I bought a Super Glide back in 2002 in the middle of winter. The day I picked it up the temperature was a bone chilling 12 degrees. The guy at the dealership asked me if I wanted them to deliver the bike and I said "no just deliver the keys to me". I rode that bike home from the dealership, about 30 miles away. I have never been so cold in my life even after several layers of clothes, gloves and scarfs. But it was still a great ride. My wife thought I was crazy, maybe she's right.
These days I'm not so willing to ride in weather like that, as a matter of fact I don't like to ride if the temperature dips below about 35-40. It just isn't as much fun when you get a little older. I also worry about hitting ice or salt/cinders on the road.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

We had a couple of days in the 60's last week and I had to actually wear a sweatshirt instead of my normal sleeveless t-shirt!!!! Burrrrrrr.........

Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 AM
BOBLAND
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some people who won't ride unless the temperature is at least their age. I wouldn't get much in these days! The coldest we ever rode was on a trip to Idaho several years ago. We woke up in Butte Montana to 25 degrees after heavy rain the night before. The bikes were literally frozen. Pushed them in the sun and when it got up to 32 we rode. When we got over the last mountain pass into Idaho it was like someone flipped a switch. went from 30's to the 80's in about 10 miles.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

it was 21 when I left this morning.. new gloves definitely helped.. took a while for my knees to thaw out though haha

Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

I once rode a Patriot Guard Mission at 15 degrees.
I'll never do that again, it was just dangerous.

My lower limit now is 40 degrees for PG Missions and above 50 for fun runs.
Over the past 3 years I've managed to ride at least an hour every month.

Yesterday it was 66 degrees and I got in a 2 hour ride.
I don't understand why anyone puts their bike up for the winter.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I once rode in 30° to Dallas for 70 miles and after 20, my fingers were numb. So I got some heated glove inserts in December '14. Sadly, I've only used them twice. It's hasn't been cold enough to use them...and when it has been I haven't ridden.

Quick Reply: My coldest ride yet