Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Extended warranty question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1100530-extended-warranty-question.html)

rick.crociata@gmail.com 02-22-2016 02:44 PM

Extended warranty question

Ok so I got steal on my 2013 street glide with 2,300 miles on it. Im interested in getting an extended warranty but not sure if I should go to the dealer or not. I know the extended warranties are third party but im looking for a little guidance or opinions. I just bought the bike and the previous owner obviously didn't ride it. I live in Texas Any info would help, also recommendations on warranty companies too. Thanks

Jackie Paper 02-22-2016 03:02 PM

I think your bike may qualify for Harley's warranty which would be ever Harley dealer. Remember to negotiate the price. It can very $100's of dollars. Also, it's insurance. You really need to put a lot of miles on your bike to come out ahead..but like some, you may blow it up in 6 months and get a new engine for 50-100$ If you can't work on it yourself and you have to budget your money it would be a good idea.

0maha 02-22-2016 03:13 PM

If you buy the extended warranty, you should buy the credit life insurance and the paint protection package to go with it.

dukdog 02-22-2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 14870244)
If you buy the extended warranty, you should buy the credit life insurance and the paint protection package to go with it.

Sarcasm?

Jackie Paper 02-22-2016 05:12 PM

Is there paint on a Harley?...:icon_laugh:

0maha 02-22-2016 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dukdog (Post 14870488)
Sarcasm?

Yes.

Unless you are a seriously high-miles rider (say 10k+ per year), any extended warranty plan has "hello, sucker" written all over it.

JMHO.

Not really an opinion, actually. Just basic math. It should be self-evident that the companies that sell these plans do so in order to make money. Which means that, on average, they know that they will collect more in premiums (even after paying very high sales commissions) than they will pay in repairs. Which therefore means that, on average, the customers lose out in the deal.

Those are not opinions. Those are irrefutable facts.

Unless you believe that your riding habits are such that you are significantly more likely than average to require major repairs, these things are a loser.

bdtaylor1979 02-22-2016 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by rick.crociata@gmail.com (Post 14870186)
Ok so I got steal on my 2013 street glide with 2,300 miles on it. Im interested in getting an extended warranty but not sure if I should go to the dealer or not. I know the extended warranties are third party but im looking for a little guidance or opinions. I just bought the bike and the previous owner obviously didn't ride it. I live in Texas Any info would help, also recommendations on warranty companies too. Thanks

I would contact Jim palmer who sells cornerstone warranties. They are cheaper than the harley warranty. I have had one on two bikes and never had a problem with them covering repairs. http://www.discountesp.com/#!enroll/cwdi

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 14871047)
Yes.

Unless you are a seriously high-miles rider (say 10k+ per year), any extended warranty plan has "hello, sucker" written all over it.

JMHO.

Not really an opinion, actually. Just basic math. It should be self-evident that the companies that sell these plans do so in order to make money. Which means that, on average, they know that they will collect more in premiums (even after paying very high sales commissions) than they will pay in repairs. Which therefore means that, on average, the customers lose out in the deal.

Unless you believe that your riding habits are such that you are significantly more likely than average to require major repairs, these things are a loser.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you are a weekend rider or a high mileage rider, you could have a major repair come up on a brand new vehicle or a high mileage vehicle.

emperor wurm 02-23-2016 02:00 PM

I have worked for a few large OEM's.....Extended warranty is the biggest scam that OE's have.

gotnspikes 02-23-2016 03:05 PM

Harley's Extended warranty covered the maintenance schedule. It was a three year unlimited mileage warranty. I happened to get the extended warranty when I got the bike and put enough miles on the bike to have maintenance done (on Harley's dime, once the amount I paid for the warranty was less than maintenance fees would have been), enough times that it more than paid for the cost of the warranty. Being a Harley warranty holder, also gave me preferential status (put me ahead in line, of non-warranty holders) on getting maintenance/repairs done at the dealership.

I will say I didn't renew the warranty because I'd decided to do my own maintenance, because it ends up being much cheaper still, than paying Harley or anyone else to do it, and at the same time lets me get even more time and familiarize with my bike.

dukdog 02-23-2016 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 14871047)
Yes.

JMHO.

I'm with ya. My reply was tongue in cheek.