General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Old Is Too Old For A Tire

Old 02-27-2016, 06:47 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Times have changed and people are so much more timid when it comes to things of this nature. We are also a throw away society being wasteful is the American way being old school makes us so aware of this.

We used to go to junk yards take old weather cracked tires off cars and run them on our bikes never once thinking about tire failure only how long would the tread last.

Muscle car with 25 yr old tires a waste, guess whose name is on the title. We have driven our cars every year to car shows, cruise-ins, and pleasure. Heck our motorcycle tires are 10+ years old and we ride that bike as much as we have time for. Gave up on the smoky burnouts years ago thus the long wear. There are only so many days in our summer season we have always had a lot of things going on so it is what it is.

Throwing away a perfectly good tire will always be a waste to me. As hard as I driven some of my hot rods on old tires for the life of me cannot see what the big fuss is all about other than pure hear say.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 AM
rk1997
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She ask you to wrench on her bike so give her your recommendations. You might want her decision in writing if it turns out to be the wrong one. lol

Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
If you don't know the correct answer, then you shouldn't be working on her bike. Did you ever consider what could happen if her tire blew out on the road? I doubt it. Buy a new tire.
Well, I do all the work, except machining, on my Pans (same 65 Pan since October of '70), Shovels and Evos, so I do consider myself to be competent and a decent wrench. As I have said this is a first for me and my rule of thumb has always been 5-6 years max. And from the comments the responses seem to vary.

This is what Dunlop says on its site...

At what age is a tire no longer useable?

"Service life is dependent on many variables such as inflation pressure, storage, driving conditions, loads, general maintenance and abuse. Scientific or technical data indicate that a specific minimum or maximum service life cannot be objectively established. It is not appropriate to establish an arbitrary tire removal date based on chronological age due to the wide variety of factors affecting a tire’s service life".

This is from the Dunlop Warranty Tire and Maintenance Guide...

"It is not practical to try to predict the service life of any specific tire in chronological time since service conditions vary widely. The serviceability of a tire over time is a function of the storage and service conditions (inflation pressure, load, speed, road hazard injury, etc.) to which a tire is subjected. Consumers should not rely solely on the appearance of the tire but should be aware of any change in dynamic performance such as increased air loss, noise or vibration, which could be a sign to remove the tire. Therefore, it is essential to have tires, including spares, inspected regularly (at least monthly) for proper inflation pressure, damage and tread wear."

Also went to https://www.msf-usa.org and read the info from the Motor Industry Council regarding tires. Other general sites I looked at basically say if serviceable that 5 years is the max range; couple others indicated the max at 10 years...hence my reason for some input to my question.

And yes I know from personal experience about about a tire blow out but thanks for your assumption.

And to the others who have provided input, thank you.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-27-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,512 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Well, I do all the work on my Pans, Shovels and Evos (except machining), so I do consider myself to be competent and a decent wrench. As I have said this is a first for me and my rule of thumb has always been 5-6 years max. And from the comments the responses seem to vary.

And yes I know from personal experience about about a tire blow out but thanks for your assumptions and comments.
Anybody who pays attention on here, knows you are a good mechanic. Sedona must be cranky today.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,408 Posts

New tire time.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:18 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
New tire time.
Agreed, cheap piece of mind.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Michelin advises replacement at 8 years even if it still appears ok. If I had a tire 6 years old that looked good I'd leave it on use up the remaining tread (which doesn't take long).

Old 02-27-2016, 09:36 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Michelin advises replacement at 8 years even if it still appears ok. If I had a tire 6 years old that looked good I'd leave it on use up the remaining tread (which doesn't take long).
Hadn't checked their site, thanks. She averages less than 2K a year so I am thinking since I have already changed the front (10 years from her records and the tire date code), I will also do the rear (tire date code and records show 6 years and counting) and have some peace of mind.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-27-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,512 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Hadn't checked their site, thanks. She averages less than 2K a year so I am thinking since I have already changed the front (10 years from her records and the tire date code), I will also do the rear (tire date code and records show 6 years and counting) and have some peace of mind.
On a used bike, you don't know if the previous owner kept the tires inflated properly. I don't think there would necessarily be evidence of episodes of overheating, secondary to under inflation.

So that is why I replaced the 8 year old tires on my used bike, even though they appeared pristine. One man's timid, is another man's prudent.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

5 years is usually the rule of thumb but its just a rule. Its recommended but not required. If the lady doesn't ride much I would get cheap tires like shinkos or a cheap set of metz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Old Is Too Old For A Tire