General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley at the Local Japanese Dealership

Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Harley at the Local Japanese Dealership

Stopped by the local big 4 Japanese/KTM dealership and there in the middle of the showroom were four used Harley's plus they said they had another one in the warehouse. It must be a tourer because he said it was pretty big to have to maneuver in their crowded showroom. Anyway one of them is a 2015 Low Rider with 300 miles with a backrest/rack and quick release shield. For anyone interested they're asking $13?K which is a little high but he confided they took $2,000 of the last Harley which would make it under $12K . Not bad for one that hasn't even had it's first service yet!

There's usually an interesting reason someone trades something in with that few miles so I asked for the story. The guy is a medical intern who came in last year and bought a new Yamaha SR400 which is a single cylinder retro street bike even has a kick starter. He decided it didn't have enough power and traded it in on this Low Rider. Then he decided the Low Rider was just too big so after 300 miles he rode it back to the Japanese dealership and asked if they'd take it on trade for something smaller which they said "sure" LOL. When he looked around the showroom and decided on a Honda Rebel 250 the salesman "you said you traded your SR400 on the Harley because it didn't have enough power, this Rebel 250 won't have any more power than your SR400 if as much?" The guy said that's alright I want this one. I have no idea how the deal went surely the dealership gave him money to boot along with the Rebel. Anyway the salesman said what was really weird is the guy told us don't bother putting gas in it just deliver it to my house because I may not have time this year to ride it.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Oldgreazer
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 61 Posts

Bought my Heritage from Honda dealer and it only had 3200 on it. An older gent bought it new , broke his left foot and couldn't shift gears . He traded in for a scooter so he could still ride . I got a great deal on mine

Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Man, that rebel is way less than half of what they're asking for that Low rider. That guy probably took a pretty big hit on that one!

Lots of interesting reasons indeed.
A couple years ago, my gal wanted to ride. So, I promised her that I would buy her a motorcycle if she went through the MSF course and got her license. She did, so I followed thru with a brand new Honda rebel. It had a low enough seat that she could put her feet down. She is short. Or to appease the PC crowd in here, "vertically challenged."
She was just too scared to ride the thing more than 20mph as it turned out. So, she just refused to ride it, even though I assured her that she could overcome her fears with practice. So, it sat. I sold it a few month later at a $2000 loss with just about 150 miles on it. The gal that bought it rode off with a big smile on her face.
A while later, when my gal said she wanted a cute little Yamaha Vino scooter, I told her "You're on your own for that." One expensive lesson was enough.

I also bought a 2002 Sportster from a private seller for pretty much that same reason. He bought for his wife, she was afraid of it. So, I bought that 10 year old bike with 1500 miles on it. Other than hard as a rock tires, it was in nearly new condition.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

A local multi-brand dealer has about twenty used Harleys in his showroom. A salesman said they get most of them out of the Miami, FL area.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

nice green. but that's not uncommon around delaware. they also have used metrics for sale at the harley dealership....went to OCC years ago, right down the road was a harley dealer that also had a honda ,kawasaki,yamaha and suzuki all connected in one strip. smart guys gets all the money. they're just bikes, who really cares right. buy what you like and be happy

Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Cool of you to post it's a great deal for the right person

Old 03-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Man, that rebel is way less than half of what they're asking for that Low rider. That guy probably took a pretty big hit on that one!
No doubt took a huge hit on the SR400 and the Harley!

Originally Posted by Freak Show
nice green. but that's not uncommon around delaware. they also have used metrics for sale at the harley dealership....
Yeah you're right in 2013 I bought 2012 BMW GSA with only 115 miles on it from the local Harley dealer.

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
Cool of you to post it's a great deal for the right person
It would make a great deal for someone heck I considered it myself. I imagine you'd have over $16K buying a new Low Rider in color with destination and the windshield, rack, probably has security as well.

Last edited by Ridewva; 03-25-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,104 Likes on 3,785 Posts

The guy who got rid of the LR should reconsider if riding is really for him. Going from a sweet HD LR to a Rebel? "Sir, the mopeds and scooters are over here if you would like to . . .."

Last edited by Ikelove; 03-25-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:12 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Dealers do not care what brand they sell as long as they make a sale.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 PM
tlminh
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

My 1st harley was an iron 883. The seller won on it at a raffle, but he already had a road glide, so he sold it to me for 6k and I was the first guy to respond to the Craigslist ad

I put 1000 miles on it, then the dealer gave me 8k for it 6 months later when I upgraded to my wide glide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley at the Local Japanese Dealership