General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting tour pack to match leather bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,172 Likes on 5,604 Posts
Default Painting tour pack to match leather bags

Hi everyone. I have a tour pack off of my old Electra Glide that I want to use for weekend trips with the ol lady. It will be going on an 09 Road King Classic as soon as I get the detachable 4 point docking hardware and install it. My problem is the bike is turquoise and white with black leather wrapped hard saddlebags but the tour pack is luxury blue.
I am thinking of just disassembling the tour pack and giving it a light scuffing then hitting it with some flat black paint from a rattle can to try to get it to look like the saddlebags. I know it wont be a perfect match but I think it would be close enough to pass considering the tour pack will only be used 4 or 5 times a year or whenever the little lady goes for a ride. When she's not with me the TP will not be on the bike.
What do you guys think of my idea? Is there something else that I could use that would work or look better? I'm looking for ideas.

PS. I am not a painter or body man but I have rattle canned a few helmets and other small items before, so my experience with paint is pretty limited.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,731 Likes on 3,500 Posts

Bite the bullet and get it color matched to the bike. It will help resale value and it won't look half as*ed.

Especially if you plan on keeping it awhile, heck sell your bags and pick up a set of hard bags.

Pretty good at spending your money eh? ;-)

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

At the very least, put one of those lid bras on it.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

There are some leather shops that can re-dye leather, you might check around and see if theres any in your area.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

The second you rattle can that tour pack, you've ruined it. Sell it outright and buy either a color matching trunk, or the proper leather covered Road King tour pack. EBay and craigslist will be your buy/sell best friend. You might even make out without spending a dime.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I previously mentioned to re-dye the leather, do a search on the internet and you'll find more info on it such as this stuff http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...e_leather.html In addition to leather shops that might help, you might also check the upholstery shops in your area.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bubba Zanetti (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,184 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
The second you rattle can that tour pack, you've ruined it. Sell it outright and buy either a color matching trunk, or the proper leather covered Road King tour pack. EBay and craigslist will be your buy/sell best friend. You might even make out without spending a dime.
i don't think that it's necessarily ruined, but he won't be able to resell it for as much. course, if he sells his bike, he could lightly sand, and respray the tourpack in a new color.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

You could use plasti dip. If you decide you don't like it or want to sell it, you can just peel it off.

I plasti dipped my wheels on my truck and have gone through the western new york winter and numerous car washes and have pulled my wheels off a few times.. still all good. just had to touch up a couple spots when I put new tires on.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,731 Likes on 3,500 Posts

Sell it and the leather tour pack that belongs on your bike

Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,172 Likes on 5,604 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I previously mentioned to re-dye the leather, do a search on the internet and you'll find more info on it such as this stuff http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...e_leather.html In addition to leather shops that might help, you might also check the upholstery shops in your area.
Thanks but I am talking about the tour pack. Not the bags. The TP is hard plastic and painted blue. The bags are leather and I want the TP to match the bags

Quick Reply: Painting tour pack to match leather bags