General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Trailer Rentals Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 AM
carpusaf
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorcycle Trailer Rentals Ideas?

At the end of May and early June, I'm planning vacation and want to trailer my bike. So far, I'm leaning toward a U-Haul motorcycle open-type trailer. I would rather have an enclosed trailer, but I can't seem to find one suited for motorcycles. Calling on the forum to lend me your advice/experience for ideas/recommendations.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

We have a trailer dealer that sells all types of trailers that rent enclosed bike trailers of all sizes. Might check around with yours. Or check with bike shops if they have a list of guys renting theirs out. going to be hard to beat U haul unless you got a buddy.

The following users liked this post:
carpusaf (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Not sure if there are any options out there for an enclosed trailer that is suitable for motorcycles. I did a quick search and it showed this 6X12 from Uhaul with this in the description
These cargo trailers can double as an enclosed motorcycle trailer; no rain, snow or flying rocks to chip the paint with this trailer
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-...ler-Rental/RV/

I would assume by that it means there are tie down points in the trailer for a bike. It has a low deck height but does not mention if it comes with a ramp. May be something to look at

Old 04-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I checked at Uhaul for a enclosed trailer, they told me in order to haul a motorcycle that I would need to drain all fluids.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:28 AM
tvon
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robjr
I checked at Uhaul for a enclosed trailer, they told me in order to haul a motorcycle that I would need to drain all fluids.
If you get the UHaul enclosed trailer, do not tell them you are using it for a motorcycle. I've never tried this but many have told me they will not let you do it.

carpusaf (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by carpusaf
At the end of May and early June, I'm planning vacation and want to trailer my bike. So far, I'm leaning toward a U-Haul motorcycle open-type trailer. I would rather have an enclosed trailer, but I can't seem to find one suited for motorcycles. Calling on the forum to lend me your advice/experience for ideas/recommendations.
I've used the U-haul motorcycle trailer. They are excellent. They have a built in chock and sufficient tie-down points for a secure hold. Most importantly, there is an integrated ramp. Any other non-motorcycle trailer you will have to improvise a ramp and/or lift the bike into the trailer.

Something I hadn't considered is perhaps doing a "wanted" listing on Craig's List [or similar]. Frankly, I would be inclined to "rent" my Kendon M/C trailer to someone I deemed to be "responsible". Good luck.

Last edited by sailmotion; 04-19-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM
BornTexan
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be very careful with the U-Haul enclosed trailers. Most have "E" rail and/or wooden rails along the walls and NOT the floor. These are held to the side walls with very cheap small bolts/screws and will pull out the first time you make a turn. They are NOT intended to support the weight of a motorcycle. Speaking from a "very costly" experience.

8~\o

Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Check your local Craigslist. There are some that rent out their privately owned trailers

carpusaf (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

You can buy a nice enclosed trailer for $2,500 to $3,000 brand new and even less used. You will be able to use it anytime your bike needs repairs, need to haul furniture or major appliances, etc.

If you get in an argument with your wife, you can sleep in it.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 PM
carpusaf
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Not sure if there are any options out there for an enclosed trailer that is suitable for motorcycles. I did a quick search and it showed this 6X12 from Uhaul with this in the description

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-...ler-Rental/RV/

I would assume by that it means there are tie down points in the trailer for a bike. It has a low deck height but does not mention if it comes with a ramp. May be something to look at

This looks like a pretty good option. If the floor has wood planks (2" x 8"), I can put my own tie down rings in and fill the holes or replace the planks. Good recommendation...thanks brother!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Trailer Rentals Ideas?