General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to HD need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:06 AM
justjkit
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to HD need advice

Hi guys --

33 year old here. Been riding sport bikes for a long time. Just sold my Ducati due to my old bones and the wife no longer enjoying the rides.

It's time to dive into the harley world.

I need advice on which models I should be looking at. A couple things to note:

- I customize my toys -- I never like my stuff looking stock or like anyone elses.
- I live in Chicago
- My wife will ride with me 90% of the time (unless i'm commuting to work which she commutes with me half the time)
- I want to add bigger wheels (18/21" or 23")
- I'm 6'2", 200lbs. wife is 5'1", 105lbs
- I'm 33 years old

I was initially looking at the breakout however I'm concerned with the comfort. I want a comfortable ride .. mainly for her.

I like how the breakout, softail classics, fatboys and roadkings look when they're heavily customized with bigger wheel setups.

Mainly looking for suggestions on what will be most comfortable for my wife and I since I don't have experience riding harleys.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Most comfortable for her would be a road sofa: Electroglide or Roadglide with a tourpack, nice big poofy backrest and armrests as well.

carl

Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

If you like customizing and such, you'll be in (Hog) heaven. I doubt there is any bike brand that even comes close to available accessories, bling, performance, etc.... as HD.

Comfort is a relative term, go out and test ride- only you will know what is comfortable for you.

If your wife is like mine was, I don't know if there is a more comfortable seat for a passenger than the style on the Electra Glides- backrest etc......My wife took one look at the Limited and said- "That One". Bless her heart.........But you can add backrests and there are tons of alternate seats available.

Enjoy the quest, and welcome to the forums.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Most comfortable for her would be a road sofa: Electroglide or Roadglide with a tourpack, nice big poofy backrest and armrests as well.

carl
Lol,, truth.. Barcalounger on wheels. No offense meant

Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover

carl

Yup, anything in the FL lineup. it depends really on the combined weight of the two of you. Each bike has a "payload" look into it. If you both are big/tall then yes the FL is the way to go,

if you are both small/thin, a Dyna may work. Softail may be in there also.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

There are so many options and as a guy that like to customize your options are endless. Im a tall guy 6'7" and have always loved Wideglides because they seem to fit me the best. With a Mustang Touring seat my wife and I have done many 300-500 mile days with a long day of just shy of 800. With that said I am now in the market for a RoadGlide for that extra comfort it will give me.
Given the fact that your wife is going to be riding with you 90% of the time and her comfort is important as you indicated I would give strong consideration to one of the touring bikes with a Tour pack added she will be damn comfortable.

With that said your best bet is to test ride a variety with your wife and see what fits you guys the best

Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Based on your likes and her needs, the Road King would be a good middle ground. Touring suspension and still fits your eye.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:21 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I just had to change the seat and add a quick detach back rest and some passenger foot boards and my Mrs is plenty comfortable on the back of my fatboy lo

Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

I put a backrest and changed the seat to a Sundowner on my RKC, and the wife says that is very confortable, when she rides with me.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

"33 and 'old bones'???"

LOL! Wait until you're 64!

Quick Reply: new to HD need advice