General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, getting ready to ride out in the pouring rain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Ugh, getting ready to ride out in the pouring rain.

I ride in the rain a lot, but there is just something about starting out in it. Plus I think about how filthy my bike will be. That's the problem with chrome it looks like carp when dirty. Don't get me wrong I have had several bikes I never washed even once...but the Softail ain't one.

To make matters worse, I am riding an hour to get a new tire on the rear so I will have to be ultra paranoid coming back for a few miles. And yes I know they don't put release agents on anymore but new rubber is still slick!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:25 AM
paul0311
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe since it looks like "carp" it'll help you a little in the water . Just kidding ride safe. Rain sucks!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

A new tire isn't worth your life or the bike. Something like that can wait for a better day in my view. Be safe.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
I ride in the rain a lot, but there is just something about starting out in it. Plus I think about how filthy my bike will be. That's the problem with chrome it looks like carp when dirty. Don't get me wrong I have had several bikes I never washed even once...but the Softail ain't one.

To make matters worse, I am riding an hour to get a new tire on the rear so I will have to be ultra paranoid coming back for a few miles. And yes I know they don't put release agents on anymore but new rubber is still slick!
I have ridden a lot of mile in the rain as I am sure most of us have, but like you I absolutely hate starting out in the rain. If there is any way to avoid it I will usually find it

Good luck be safe

Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, unfortunately this is the day. The dealer is over an hour away and I have to go this morning.

Riding in the rain just requires a little more diligence is all. But usually I am on another bike that I couldn't care less about getting filthy...but that's riding. Sometimes you get wet.

The biggest kick in the teeth is that it has been bone dry for weeks. And is forecast to be dry again. Every day except for today of course. Though I might be on the tail end and get to ride home without it.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:36 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

At least it's not hail

Old 04-22-2016, 08:08 AM
tankthebiker
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts

Good luck. Riding out in the rain sucks.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Yep, I hate getting ready to ride in the rain too! I don't mind the actually riding in the rain part at all (well not much). It's the putting on the rain suit and knowing just how filthy my bike will be afterwards.

Ride safe!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'll never go out riding when it's raining...never. But if I'm out and get caught in it, I just keep riding. It's just a natural part of having a bike, like dealing with the wind or the highs and lows in temperature.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I was gonna say that for rain riding, I use one of my BMWs, as they seem to be made for inclement weather. Of course, if the bike that needs the tire happens to be the Harley, not much else you can do.

Maybe it's just the tires I use (Dunlops) on the Harleys, but I'll take a BMW any day of the week if there's rain or slippery roads. And they are WAY easier to wash . . . just not as pretty when clean!

Quick Reply: Ugh, getting ready to ride out in the pouring rain.