General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for a single rail motorcycle trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:56 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
1) I'm unclear why this thread has been resusitated. I'm fairly sure the OP has already decided what to do;
2) WTF! Can't "haul a bike that runs"? Since when? On what planet? If you work for the media, then that "false news" makes complete sense; otherwise, WTF!
Agreeing on both points.

I would love to know what NYS law prevents anybody from hauling a functioning vehicle...

excluding hauling for hire/commercially I cant see where that would be an issue.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 1,154 Posts
Default Cheap motorcycle trailer for a emergency

I like the $759.00 trailer at www.northerntool.com.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

The OP is looking for a single rail mostly for ease of storage which I understand some people may need. I think some on here though are putting to much emphasis on the pay more for good quality mentality. 5 years ago I bought a slightly used Texas Bragg tubed frame utility trailer, 6.5' x 10' for only $950, complete with wheel chocks and E Track rail system for tie downs. Every summer I'd haul two bikes 1600 miles round trip from NC to New England, add a bunch times hauling junk, helping friends move, moving myself and I've put about 10k miles on that trailer with no issues. The trailer pulls great.

A trailer is as basic as you can get. It's a frame and an axle. Unless you have to have an enclosed or a fold up, find a solid utility trailer with good welds and it'll last you many many years. You can buy a used 2 bike utility trailer for under a grand. For $300-$500 more you can get one new. A smaller single bike trailer you can get for quite a bit less.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:37 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

2) WTF! Can't "haul a bike that runs"? Since when? On what planet? If you work for the media, then that "false news" makes complete sense; otherwise, WTF!
the only thing i can think of is that the poster who mentioned this also mentioned that he made the trailer. maybe ny has some restriction on using homemade trailers on public roadways?

either that, or yh is just fos (as is often the case ;D)

The following 2 users liked this post by skratch:
BTLorys (06-21-2017), sailmotion (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Follow up report...

OP here and I just realized that I never followed up with the results of my search though I have posted a few pics on other threads showing my new {to me}, Kendon single.

I found mine on Craigslist for $1,450 in excellent shape. It is an older model but must have spent years sitting in someones garage. I had a set of new Maxxis tires from my last trailer and a brand new spare so it's got 3 new shoes. To make loading easier I added 2 X 12's - 2 bolted to the trailer and 2 that parallel the loading ramp so I have nice wide platform for my boots as I drive on/roll off.

Could not find a hinge that worked so I improvised by connecting the 2 X 12's with 2 eyes hooks screwed into the trailer mounted boards mated to 2 "J" hooks screwed into the ramp boards. Loading could not be simpler/easier. I secure the bike with two ratchet straps pulling down on the handlebars and two more pulling forward from the frame. Two would probably be enough but 4 makes me sleep better.

Name:  IMG_1616_zpsmewnwsba.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  224.3 KB

Here is a shot of the trailer stored up against the wall in my {very crowded - 2 cars, one Bike and trailer and a golf cart}, garage:

Name:  IMG_1352_zpsgbzorsfp.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  120.0 KB

I have logged 5,000+ miles towing with this rig behind our 24' Class C. Took this shot a week ago up at Big Lake in the White Mountains. An early Monsoon thunderstorm ripped through the campground with lots of lightning, heavy rain and even a serious dump of hail. I threw the purple towel over the bike to protect my Vivid Black paint but happily no damage:

Name:  IMG_1702_zpsgfm56ure.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  187.4 KB

Last edited by Capt Steve; 06-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:21 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

1) I'm unclear why this thread has been resusitated. I'm fairly sure the OP has already decided what to do;
I think you all are missing the point. My guess is that when the poster said "by law he can't haul a bike that runs" he was referring to his PERSONAL law--that he personally won't trailer a bike that he could ride. (Many feel that way.) I don't think he was saying that there was an actual state law. I think he was trying to be funny.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 06-21-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I think you all are missing the point. My guess is that when the poster said "by law he can't haul a bike that runs" he was referring to his PERSONAL law--that he personally won't trailer a bike that he could ride. (Many feel that way.) I don't think he was saying that there was an actual state law. I think he was trying to be funny.
I'll admit that does make more sense to me. If that is what he meant it just went over my head.

I hear a lot of crazy laws in other places (here too) and I was just curious how that would work. Remove one wire and it's no longer a bike that runs. Didn't see how something like that could be enforced.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
You may be right! Certain nuances simply don't come thru in written form. Your explanation makes way more sense.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:07 PM
birdguy45
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhotoFritz
We purchased the Stinger folding trailer for a couple reasons...storage space and function. During the winter it's kept in a corder at the front of our garage. When unfolded, it's a pretty simple process to load the bike and tether it for transport behind out 2017 Escape. With a total weight on 1000 pounds, the pull is effortless.

Stinger trailer pulled by Escape.
PhotoFritz: Your setup looks very similar to what mine will be ('18 FLSTC behind '16 Subaru Outback). My question is related to the hitch weight imposed by the trailer on the car. I have a 200# limit on the hitch (but have 3500# tow weight) and I am concerned that the 751# bike will place too much downforce given the distance of the trailer axle to the hitch. If you can pick the hitch up with the bike on the trailer, i'd guess it would be OK on my Outback (unless you're a professional weight lifter )

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Walt

Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I've never had near enough need for a bike trailerto pay two grand.for it. Several years ago I did have one of the Stinger trailers when they were called Trailer In A Bag. I had it for about five years and used it twice. Wish I had kept it because it worked great for what I needed.