Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Scratching with engine guards instead of pegs (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1114596-scratching-with-engine-guards-instead-of-pegs.html)

psrb191921 05-07-2016 10:10 AM

Scratching with engine guards instead of pegs

Hi, I've got 49004-00A and a forward controls on my fatboy'15. When I lean my bike I scratch with guards not with pegs, is it normal? One buddy'o'mine said that this can lead to an accident, cause scratching with guards takes the bike's weight off the front wheel. Is it true? Should I take off the guards? Thanks

hdgzr 05-07-2016 11:32 AM

I wouldn't think this would be an issue under normal circumstances, but may occur with aggressive riding, road conditions or modification of the motorcycle in question. The guards are designed to prevent engine damage in the event of a tip-over. I had the same guard on my Heritage SofTail, and never touched the engine guard while riding. But I did scrape the footboards on occasion. You just have to be aware of your surroundings, and ride accordingly.
:icon_beerchug:

IdahoHacker 05-07-2016 11:35 AM

This is extremely dangerous. Engine guards don't fold up, so every single pound of downforce your engine guard exerts against the pavement when it touches is a pound of downforce that is no longer keeping your tires on the pavement.

I would suggest slowing down until you can have an experienced rider ride behind you and give you some advice regarding your body posture.

Really, seriously, dragging an engine guard is a crash waiting to happen.

Tommy C 05-07-2016 12:17 PM

Another aspect of scraping in turns is how the rider reacts to it. Lots of riders crash in turns because when they scrape they freak out & stand the bike up & then take the turn too wide & end up leaving the road or heading into oncoming traffic.

Bopple Hill Rd 05-07-2016 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker (Post 15121504)
This is extremely dangerous. Engine guards don't fold up, so every single pound of downforce your engine guard exerts against the pavement when it touches is a pound of downforce that is no longer keeping your tires on the pavement.

I would suggest slowing down until you can have an experienced rider ride behind you and give you some advice regarding your body posture.

Really, seriously, dragging an engine guard is a crash waiting to happen.

+1. OP, your post made me cringe. I'd suggest getting rid of the guard if you ride that aggressively, and perhaps consider a different bike, (Dyna), with better lean angles.

psrb191921 05-07-2016 02:48 PM

This is just a rare case :) I'm not scratching every corner :) but sometimes...

GTK 05-07-2016 03:42 PM

I would listen to your buddy.Bike wasn't designed for aggressive cornering.Go out and get a crotch rocket and carve the corners with it.

Mickey Shane 05-07-2016 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by psrb191921 (Post 15122044)
This is just a rare case :) I'm not scratching every corner :) but sometimes...

Thanks for the picture. When the wide rear tire goes to it's corner, it raises the rear of the bike more than a skinny tire would. Rear up, front down, guard touches. I'd just do it at night when in a group.

Vernal 05-07-2016 05:29 PM

If your dragging your engine guard and haven't wrecked go buy a lottery ticket, right after you take the guard off.

upflying 05-07-2016 05:55 PM

Dragging boards is fine, dragging crash bars is not.