Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Stolen Parts (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1114691-stolen-parts.html)

oomchu 05-07-2016 09:09 PM

Stolen Parts

Hello,

I have an older model sportster (1989 883) which isn't in stellar condition, but in the past 7 months I have had the battery cover stolen and just recently the horn. It's not happening at my place of residence so I can only assume it has happened when parking around town. My main question is how common is this especially for an older bike? How much money could someone possible get off a horn even if it is original? Also, I've seen some disc brake locks with alarms for sale, does anyone have advice on which alarm I should buy. I've been in a bit of a financial pinch for awhile and this is currently my only vehicle so I'd like to prevent any more parts, or the bike itself, from being stolen. Thanks for any insight. Also, I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Ride my Seesaw 05-07-2016 09:29 PM

Can't help you with your questions but I would definitely mark every unboltable part with your drivers license number using an ultraviolet pen. Keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, local rags, etc. for locals selling the same 'missing' parts. You never know, and chances are high that you'll spot your stuff.

rjjj629 05-07-2016 09:49 PM

damn! sorry to hear that

I've had parts stolen off a bicycle that I chained poorly (like the seat and post and even a wheel when I didn't put the chain thru it) but I've never had a part stolen off my motorcycle.

Ron750 05-07-2016 09:56 PM

That sucks. Salt Lake City must be going downhill. I don't hear much about people messing with bikes in Wisconsin. Even when I had soft saddle bags, that anybody could get into, nobody messed with my bike.

I think if we were allowed to shoot thieves, the crime rate would go down significantly.

oomchu 05-07-2016 10:21 PM

The weird thing is they aren't parts that are hard to replace, but since it has happened twice, I'm a little worried I'm going to find my seat or fuel tank missing. Initially, I thought it might be someone I've known getting back at me, but there are easier things to swipe that would be a bigger annoyance. The fuel cap and spark plug wires come to mind. I may have to check out craigslist. I like the idea of marking things with a UV marker.

E8USMCRET 05-07-2016 10:27 PM

My first bike and HD was a brand new 1989, 883 Sportster. I can't imagine any part being hard to find or rare on one of those. Probably just a douche bag punk pulling a prank.

TriGeezer 05-07-2016 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ron750 (Post 15123159)
I think if we were allowed to shoot thieves, the crime rate would go down significantly.

Oh...we're not allowed to? Oops!

im 05-07-2016 10:35 PM

Any chance those items are loose and falling off?
If not it almost would make someone think about placing an item covered in gentian violet powder near their kick stand on a dry day.

E8USMCRET 05-07-2016 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by im (Post 15123291)
If not it almost would make someone think about placing an item covered in gentian violet powder near their kick stand on a dry day.

My horn cover vibrated off and my entire tail light vibrated off both never to be found. I recall that my 89 Evo Sportster wasn't exactly a smooth rider.

2AMGuy 05-07-2016 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by im (Post 15123291)

This was my first thought also.

Then it's possible that someone has a Sporty and liked his parts!