General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reda gas can

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Thanks all.
I just got done mapping out my rides in Central Ark. where we are headed in three weeks and our longest ride is around 200 miles and there's gas along the way so I think we're good.

I really didn't think I needed one of these cans but I thought for $30 what the hell.
I paid much more for my Antigravity Micro Starter which I hope I'll never need.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 AM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Its worth $30 because its bulletproof and can be used as a parachute in an emergency

BigDogIdaho (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:04 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Aluminum fuel bottles. Forget the plastic junk.

BigDogIdaho (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:03 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I refuse to carry gasoline on a motorcycle!

I've been to all 50 states and FWIW, the longest distances between gas stations anywhere in the 50 U.S. states is 160 miles and that's in Nevada. (Never been there yet, but I plan to within a couple of years).
That's not correct.

It's 237 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse on the Dalton Hwy and there's no fuel in between. That's in one of those 50 states, Alaska Another thing to keep in mind is just because it's listed in the Milepost doesn't mean they have fuel or that they are open. When traveling in remote areas it's foolish not to have spare fuel, especially when you're not the tallest thing on the food chain.

BigDogIdaho (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:49 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

$6 TruFuel is the way to go but will only get you 8-10 miles.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13
Its worth $30 because its bulletproof and can be used as a parachute in an emergency
Plus it doubles as a survival knife, has a compass in the hilt, and has supplies for stitching your wounds.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,194 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
If I planned on carrying a potential fire-bomb in my saddlebags I'd want to get one that is designed to take abuse such as vehicular side impacts, or after sliding along the pavement for 100 feet. But that's just me.
I am always amused at people that freak out on having a gas can in a saddle bag...but don't seem to notice they have 5 gallons between their legs.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:36 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
10-4 on 2AMGuy's reply. I've ridden throughout the southwest and never had trouble finding fuel.

In regards to the price of the gas can in question, there are some things you simply don't want to "go cheap" when purchasing. (Parachutes and bullet-proof vests come to mind.) If I planned on carrying a potential fire-bomb in my saddlebags I'd want to get one that is designed to take abuse such as vehicular side impacts, or after sliding along the pavement for 100 feet. But that's just me.

If I felt that I wasn't going to be able to make it to the next gas station I might consider this rather foolish solution. Fill up your tank, then buy a jug of windshield washer fluid and pour it out. Rinse it with a shot of gas, then fill it up. Strap it to the bike, ride 40 miles, stop and pour it in the tank. Yeah, it's dangerous, but you're probably out in the middle of the desert where there is no traffic, so the odds of you getting hit or crashing is pretty slim in just 40 miles.

Never seen one of those....seen plenty of bullet RESISTANT though.

OP, I say if you have the room carry a different style gas can. I've got one of those metal ones that look like a water bottle. It only holds about a quart of gas but I figure that will (hopefully) be enough to get me somewhere.

I almost ran out of gas once. It passed up a gas station but there was supposed to be another not too long after. In fact, next 2 stations were similar to ghost towns. Hadn't had gas or pumps in years.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:38 PM
joes bar and grill
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I am always amused at people that freak out on having a gas can in a saddle bag...but don't seem to notice they have 5 gallons between their legs.
That is vented to the atmosphere

Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
That's not correct.

It's 237 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse on the Dalton Hwy and there's no fuel in between. That's in one of those 50 states, Alaska Another thing to keep in mind is just because it's listed in the Milepost doesn't mean they have fuel or that they are open. When traveling in remote areas it's foolish not to have spare fuel, especially when you're not the tallest thing on the food chain.
No no no....you are incorrect sir. 2 am is THE authority on all roads of the US. He is taller than a grizzly as well so he can use the squeezins as fuel.....

Campy Roadie (05-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Reda gas can