General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reda gas can

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Reda gas can

Anyone carry one of these in their saddlebag on trips?

What makes it worth $30?

Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

30 bucks that I'll never get back. Works fine if you never have to use it. I've been through two different versions of spouts and neither are any good. If you overfill the can or drip gas on the outside while pulling the spout out of the can you will never get rid of the gas smell. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

It's nice to know you have one gallon just in case. It came in handy out in Sturgis where you can get carried away in the Badlands and be screwed real quick like. I've also helped others who've run low. Can't beat it in my view.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:00 PM
nvbirdman
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you ever see me out of gas at the side of the road two miles from the nearest gas station it will be worth thirty bucks to me.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

I carry one when I know it will likely be a long way between stations, such as going across Nevada or Utah on back roads. Only actually needed it once, but that was enough! Having a sidecar takes a bite out of the fuel mileage, and when I pull my trailer too it sucks even more gas.

The factory spout on the Reda is a piece of crap though, never could get it NOT to leak, and the cap does not make a tight seal, I always have a gas odor in the saddlebag when I carry it.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

You guys might like these a lot better.
http://rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Packs/

Old 05-14-2016, 10:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I refuse to carry gasoline on a motorcycle!

I've been to all 50 states and FWIW, the longest distances between gas stations anywhere in the 50 U.S. states is 160 miles and that's in Nevada. (Never been there yet, but I plan to within a couple of years).

The best plan is to be aware of where gas is available (GPS are great devices) and keep a close watch on your fuel gage and never pass a gas station in rural areas if your gage is anywhere near 1/2.

My next tip(s) should always be followed:
Always keep several single dollar bills somewhere on your bike, AND a 6ft piece of light plastic/rubber hose. (we used to call this a "Hillbilly Credit Card"!
If you sittin' on the side of the road, out of gas, someone will stop and you will have the means to get some gas for your bike.

When we went to Alaska 16 years ago (may be different these days) premium fuel wasn't always available, but we always filled our tanks and bought premium whenever it was available.

The following users liked this post:
Cousy (05-14-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Thanks for the detailed response but I'm not asking about whether or not to carry gas, that's a different subject.
I'm asking what makes a 1 gal plastic gas can worth $30.

I figure that if I'm not on a long ride that I'd just keep it in my trunk.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy

I've been to all 50 states and FWIW, the longest distances between gas stations anywhere in the 50 U.S. states is 160 miles and that's in Nevada. (Never been there yet, but I plan to within a couple of years).

The best plan is to be aware of where gas is available (GPS are great devices) and keep a close watch on your fuel gage and never pass a gas station in rural areas if your gage is anywhere near 1/2.

My next tip(s) should always be followed:
Always keep several single dollar bills somewhere on your bike, AND a 6ft piece of light plastic/rubber hose. (we used to call this a "Hillbilly Credit Card"!
If you sittin' on the side of the road, out of gas, someone will stop and you will have the means to get some gas for your bike.

When we went to Alaska 16 years ago (may be different these days) premium fuel wasn't always available, but we always filled our tanks and bought premium whenever it was available.
10-4 on 2AMGuy's reply. I've ridden throughout the southwest and never had trouble finding fuel.

In regards to the price of the gas can in question, there are some things you simply don't want to "go cheap" when purchasing. (Parachutes and bullet-proof vests come to mind.) If I planned on carrying a potential fire-bomb in my saddlebags I'd want to get one that is designed to take abuse such as vehicular side impacts, or after sliding along the pavement for 100 feet. But that's just me.

If I felt that I wasn't going to be able to make it to the next gas station I might consider this rather foolish solution. Fill up your tank, then buy a jug of windshield washer fluid and pour it out. Rinse it with a shot of gas, then fill it up. Strap it to the bike, ride 40 miles, stop and pour it in the tank. Yeah, it's dangerous, but you're probably out in the middle of the desert where there is no traffic, so the odds of you getting hit or crashing is pretty slim in just 40 miles.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I guess it's the design that fetches the price. It fits perfectly in the bag and you hardly know it's there as opposed to other shaped containers. The spout is weird but once you break the code on it it's no problem. I don't store any clothing or items that need to be odor free from gas in the same saddlebag with the can. It's one of those items like the smart phone size battery jumper that I carry, it may feel like a lot of cash until your *** is all alone on the road in E.B.F then it feels like a good purchase.

Quick Reply: Reda gas can