General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wonder why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Ever wonder why?

When you go to a dealer, online or in the paper you see a brand new bike forsale and you wonder why it's being sold. I see them all the time with 2k or less mines on them. I bought my 2012 FB lo last september, it had only 750 miles on it. The guy told me he had a deluxe and traded it in for the LO, but soon after he lost interest. I thought to myself, who does that. My mind is always on my bike and riding, how could you lose interest. Now i know i see people who have a bike for 10 years and only put 10k or less on them, we all know that's someone who does the poker runs or rides back and fourth to the dealer to show off to his buddies. But don't you just want to know the back story of why they're getting rid of it. I'm guessing some have a baby on the way,or someone has passed away or really just couldn't afford it. Does anyone know of other stories of why they got such a good deal.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Who knows? I bought my Heritage from the dealer with 2118 miles on it and in immaculate condition. Perhaps after buying it the original owner decided he wanted a touring model instead.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought my Limited used from a dealer with 8700 miles on it, they told me the owner traded it in on a CVO Limited after he had it for a little over a year.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Some people have a Harley solely for the image that they think it brings.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

People Are Strange

Old 05-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I have only bought one bike that was used, 08 WG I picked up last July with just over 4K miles basically far less that 1K a year. I bought it from the original owner. He was in his early to mid 30s and basically bought the bike so that he could spend some time with his dad who also rode. A few years after he bought it he and his wife had their first of two kids and his spare time was then devoted more to wife and kids. He said over the last couple of years his rides amounted to maybe once a month with his dad for 50-100 miles. He finally reached the point he felt it was a waste to have such a beautiful bike just sitting under a cover in the garage 99% of the time and they wanted to put a pool in at their home. I got a smoking deal on a bike that looked like it had rolled out of the showroom. Picked it up with around 4K miles 8 months later its about to turn 13K

Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

A guy that has never ridden before buys a new bike, gets it home, and tries to ride it a few times. He realizes he's made a mistake and it's too big a bike for him to handle. He gets it home and it causes strife between husband and wife. It may scare the **** of the guy. Life gets in the way. Some will be sold fairly quickly but a lot of these bikes will sit for years without being touched. Either way it makes for an interesting used bike market, doesn't it?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
People Are Strange
And they're getting stranger everyday

Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Let me tell you a little story.

I bought my Street Glide Special for my wife the day after forgetting her birthday. She didn't like the seat on my RKC, so I traded motorcycles for her. That is how much I love my wife. It is also how low mileage, like new bikes end up back at the dealer, but luckily my wife has a sense of humor and I'm stubborn as hell.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Some guys just can't resist a shiny new toy, so they buy a Harley. Then they go on to the next shiny new toy.

For us, though, the ownership of a new or used Harley satisfies an inner need to feel the freedom of the road, a wanderlust maybe, an itch that needs to be scratched, or simply a sense of joy only a motorcycle can provide.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder why?