General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up your bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Picking up your bike...

I have been taught years ago how to correctly lift a heavy bike like a Goldwing our an Ultra Classic when it is on it's crash bars (engine guards).

I was watching different videos on the subject and ran across this.

When you get on your bike and you straighten the bike upright, sometimes it is a struggle, depending on the angle of the ground and of course the weight of the bike.

In this video, at the time of 1:20 through 2:10, this lady shows how to get on your bike and straighten it upright without a struggle.

I tried this yesterday with my Ultra Limited and I was amazed at how easy this was to do. It is like there is no weight to the bike when you do it this way.

I wish I would have known about this years ago.

When you get a chance try this and you will be amazed at how easy it is to straighten up your bike.

Ride Safe

Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

WOW thats about the coolest thing I have learned in a while. Been riding all my life and never ran across that, I had to walk out to the garage and give it a try LOL

I am 6'7" 270 lbs and dont really have an issue getting on my bike and getting it upright and off the jiffy stand. I walked out to the garage and gave this a try and I will be damn it was night and day difference with the wheel turned to the right.

I will be showing this to some friends that I know could benefit from this technique

Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,402 Likes on 21,386 Posts

On a nice flat surface is fairly easy.
I got run off the road by a"Triker" during the rally here last year and had to take the shoulder which abruptly ran out to which I was on the dirt. The bike flooded out and would not start. I held up my glide @ a severe angle as 30 bikes or more passed me by.
Finally 2 guys stopped and barely could me get righted back up.
It messed up my back for some time but my bike did not get any damage.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:39 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

If the footboard or footpegs were buried in the asphalt.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

A few months ago, I was at a demo ride and the bikes were lined up in an alley next to the building with a gutter running down the middle of the alley and the asphalt was sloped really steap. I was getting on a Road King and it was leaning way over to the left and I tried a couple of times and could not get the bike upright. I finally gave it everything I had and it came up.
If I would have know about this, I may have not had to struggle with it.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

It's a bit harder from the other side because you have to put the kickstand down when you get the bike half way up. You also have to be careful not to get it up so far that it goes over the other way. I've seen videos of this method with a girl barely 5' tall and about 95 pounds. It works well.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'm confused. The title is about getting on your bike but the post/video is about picking it up.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Its a 2 part'r.
Picking up a dropped bike off the engine guards, and as the OP is directing us to, standing the bike up off the jiffy once seated. Turn bars to right, hand against tank and nudge.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm confused about the whole post. Standing up a bike while in/on the seat has never been an issue for myself, or anyone I know. Am I missing something here??

Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I'm confused about the whole post. Standing up a bike while in/on the seat has never been an issue for myself, or anyone I know. Am I missing something here??

It might be an issue for a person with a heavy bike/short legs? Especially if there is a lean/not level parking surface?

Quick Reply: Picking up your bike...