General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's got to be a better way .....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 PM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
Default There's got to be a better way .....

.... and if so I don't know what it would be.

I found myself needing to route some wiring along the main harness under the gas tank and the first step was to .... obviously .... remove the gas tank.

I've never removed the tank before so I got out the shop manual and started following the instructions. First step .... empty the tank of all gasoline.

Step by step. Got my short length of 5/16 fuel line hose capped on one end. Clipped off the clamp on one side of the crossover line. Ready to pull the crossover line off. Pull off the crossover line.

Chaos ......

Now I got gas spewing from the crossover line and from the tank crossover connection. One thumb over the crossover line ... one thumb over the tank connection. I stare dumbly at the floor looking at the short length of capped fuel line. Well this is gonna get messy.

Luckily the wife was available and came out when I yelled and was able to quickly attach the capped line to the tank so at least I had one hand free now.

Now I had to drain the rest of the gas out of the tank through the crossover line which is short. Drain ... empty small container into bigger container ... repeat until empty.

Needless to say when the tank was empty I had a gasoline mess.

I stood looking and said ... ok. That could have gone better.

So .... How the hell do I do that next time without creating a fuel spill incident in my garage and without turning it into a two man job?

Old 05-22-2016, 01:12 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

So .... How the hell do I do that next time without creating a fuel spill incident in my garage and without turning it into a two man job?
uh, take it the dealer?

Old 05-22-2016, 01:23 PM
ss313
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran mine until it was almost empty and siphoned most of the rest out. I made a little bit of a mess but not too bad.

The following users liked this post:
crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:37 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Although I personally have never used this it might work for you.

http://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.c...uctid=17873067

This thread might interest you:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...isconnect.html

crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I just did the exact same thing yesterday, and I agree, there must be a better way.
I will add, just when you think the tank is empty and can no longer puke any more fuel over the engine and on to the floor, it will do exactly that!

crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I've done it two ways. Siphoned it all out is one way, the other and what I think is the easiest is to put hose crimpers on each side of the crossover tube, cut the tube in the center, then lift the tank off and remove the crimp off one of the hoses and drain the fuel. Only fuel you spill is the little bit in the hose. Then when it's time to put the tank back on just replace the hose. Fuel hose is cheap enough that it's pretty much disposable.

crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Clamps? like 2 vise grips,,,

crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:44 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

fat baby pampers come in handy. Stuff them all around the area you are working. I do all the other stuff too- ride the bike until it's on fumes, siphon out as much as I can, etc. after all that, there is still enough gas left to make a ten by ten puddle on the floor. So I stuff diapers all around the area and work as fast as I can. A small funnel attached to the drain hose helps so you don't need precision aligning to get it under the tank- close enough gets the gas flowing in the right direction.

crabio (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,229 Likes on 5,990 Posts

I like the clamp and cut method..... haven't done that but sounds doable

Ironmike13 (12-06-2021)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:28 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
I've done it two ways. Siphoned it all out is one way, the other and what I think is the easiest is to put hose crimpers on each side of the crossover tube, cut the tube in the center, then lift the tank off and remove the crimp off one of the hoses and drain the fuel. Only fuel you spill is the little bit in the hose. Then when it's time to put the tank back on just replace the hose. Fuel hose is cheap enough that it's pretty much disposable.
The best and safest way to remove a tank with a cross over hose.

Quick Reply: There's got to be a better way .....