General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine tuning my carb mixture

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fine tuning my carb mixture

06 Road King running like crap. Pulled carb and intake and replaced the intake manifold seals and the carb seal. Cleaned up carb and jets. In doing that I found that the mixture screw was out about 3 3/4 turns! Guess previous owner making up for intake leaks (?). Found that the jets were 45 idle jet and a 180 main. Bike has always seemed to be running rich at idle. Fills up the garage with fuel smell while warming up.

Buttoned everything back up and went ahead and set mixture screw at 3 1/2 turns out. Bike runs so much better. But seems to running rich at idle. So, where is a good starting point for the mixture screw? I'm going to readjust it and start from there.

TIA for you help!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,749 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Put in bigger cams. Seems like more work, but it should be just right then.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54
06 Road King running like crap. Pulled carb and intake and replaced the intake manifold seals and the carb seal. Cleaned up carb and jets. In doing that I found that the mixture screw was out about 3 3/4 turns! Guess previous owner making up for intake leaks (?). Found that the jets were 45 idle jet and a 180 main. Bike has always seemed to be running rich at idle. Fills up the garage with fuel smell while warming up.

Buttoned everything back up and went ahead and set mixture screw at 3 1/2 turns out. Bike runs so much better. But seems to running rich at idle. So, where is a good starting point for the mixture screw? I'm going to readjust it and start from there.

TIA for you help!
It's been a long time since I touched a Harley carb but generally, with a warm engine, turn the mixture screw in until the engine starts to miss, then back it out 3/4 turn. Now you'll have to adjust for off-idle acceleration by blipping the throttle and ensuring the the engine doesn't miss or stumble when the engine is revved off-idle. You'll need to adjust this with the idle mixture screw, if the carb is jetted properly. I recommended the jet kit in an earlier post so that you'd know that the carb is correctly jetted.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54

TIA for you help!
Your jets sound reasonable, depending on intake and exhaust and cam and head work and all that.

Mixture screw sounds like it's a bit farther out than it wants to be. Try 2.5 or 3 turns and see how it responds.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Here's what's in my 02 FXD carb. #45 idle jet, 190 main, two #40 brass washers under the needle and mixture screw out about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns. Google Joe Minton carb tuning. IMHO sounds like someone may have put a Dyno kit in the carb. If that's the case, put your carb all back to stock, and start over. Back when carbs were the norm there was a lot of chatter about the Dyno kits, more negative than positive.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My mixture screw was set to 3 1/2 turns too and it ran rich (32 mpg). Someone had put a Dyno needle in it . I put a stock style needle in, 48/175 jets, and I am getting 44-48 mpg with the mixture screw set to 2 1/2 turns. I would almost bet that someone has messed with your mid-range needle. Your current jets should work fine. Also, check the vacuum diaphragm on top of your carb for a pin-hole or split which would cause a vacuum leak. I had all kinds of runnability issues including jerking/surging under light throttle at around 20-30 mph, rich spark plugs, and of course poor fuel mileage. My bike runs absolutely perfect now.

Last edited by 89FLHTC; 05-23-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe #45 is the stock pilot jet and running lean has always been the problem with these unless you have an air filter problem. So, first, check your air filter for clean and clear, get the engine Hot first, then adjust your air screw for the fastest idle speed. The adjustment is done with the engine running. keep your idle speed adjusted down until you find the sweet spot. then set the idle speed where you want it. There is no set it 3 turns and your dead on, all bikes are different. If you find your air screw is like 6 turns out, go up on the pilot jet, most run a #48 and start over. With the correct jet installed, you should be within the 1- 4 turns out range
I would stay away from the Dyna jet kits, they do cure the lean condition but you will be getting low mpg. Good Luck!

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 05-25-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:28 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

put a S&S E shorty on it ! bullet proof and wil run so much better.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:51 AM
FLASH1970
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I figured I'd add my 2 pennies... I have an 01, just put in SE204's, intake Exhaust. Everyone's bike is different so a set "turn this, put this jet in" doesn't always work. It might get you close, but for me to feel good about carb tweaking, I put a Wideband O2 sensor in to tune the carb. I don't know how many turns out I am on my idle needle. I do know that when my bike is cold with the choke out I idle at around 11.5:1 and when warm the bike idles around 14.5:1 so I'm happy. I put a couple washers in and ended up with a 46 pilot jet. Being new to carbs, this video helped understand a lot about how they work.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...72&FORM=VRDGAR

Quick Reply: Fine tuning my carb mixture