Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Real harley's use carbs>?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1119658-real-harleys-use-carbs.html)

TroubleHead Fred 06-05-2016 06:35 AM

To each their own. I'll stick with a carb, lots less to go wrong. I have F.I. on my f150 and on my Lincoln, I'm not anti-technology but I just prefer the sound, feel, and simplicity of a carb on my bikes.

A while back I sold a carbed Ultra Evo and bought a F.I. Heritage twinkie. I was sick with buyers remorse within days. I sold it as soon as I got the title back in my name and never looked back.

If your carbed bike was spitting and popping when you started down the road then you probably never had it jetted or adjusted right to start with. I always let my bike warm up for a minute while I put on my gear and then it's good to go.

John Hyatt 06-05-2016 06:38 AM

I might be missing something here, But.... the steal and aluminum have to come up to operating temp Right ?

Even though the FI motor sounds and acts like its running well, damage is still happening If the motor is not warmed up. It takes Carb and FI the same amount of time to reach operating temp . So if a Man starts up the FI bike and immediately hammers it on a cold day that's a bad thing Right ? Damage from the rocker arms to cylinder rings that would not happen if the scoot was warmed up same with carbs as with FI.

I see guys here in Oklahoma do this all the time. Cold weather, start up, rev up, get on the road half throttle and higher off to the freeway with no warm up at all.

Just because it Sounds right doesn't mean it is Right, Right ?

J.

AJSHOVEL 06-05-2016 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred (Post 15209396)
To each their own. I'll stick with a carb, lots less to go wrong. I have F.I. on my f150 and on my Lincoln, I'm not anti-technology but I just prefer the sound, feel, and simplicity of a carb on my bikes..

Pretty much how I feel. Keep things simple.
Those of us who grew up (and still have) carbs, kickers, points etc...have, out of necessity, a knowledge and bond with the workings of our bikes. Doesn't really require a great deal of effort to keep our bikes in top running condition, but it does require attention....attention we love to give her.

hdbob2006 06-05-2016 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by RK4ME (Post 15208351)
My '78 XLCH had a Jap carb on it, and my '04 Road King has American Delphi EFI. OP should learn to spot BS when he sees it.

YUP!! All my carb'd Harleys had Jap carbs,except a few S&S's[which I consider garbage] Now I ride trouble free Delphi FI.

nitroturbo4u 06-05-2016 09:13 AM

Well thanks for all the replies...You all are a wealth of info...
Did notice the f.i. bikes i listen to dont have that distinctive rumble.
Think it's to do with bypassing a VOE's ..Guess it's some kinda sensor....
Also the warming up of the engine before taking off....
Guess the carbs win by looking at replies....Thank you all for the replies....
HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THIS FALL RALLY HERE IN MYRTLE BEACH..

Sept. 26 – Oct 2, 2016

hardheaded 06-05-2016 09:48 AM

i've seen alot of comments about the carbs and warming up the engine. i let my FI engines warm up also, it's not about the driveabilty of the bike, it's about keeping the gaskets and o-rings inside the engine. granted the FI engine doesn't miss a beat cold or hot, but the engine needs alittle time to warm before getting on it.

kngpn 06-05-2016 10:02 AM

its a silly shirt but whatever. It's their choice to chose to be ignorant.

Nothing wrong with either carb or FI..

Tommy C 06-05-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kngpn (Post 15210028)

Nothing wrong with either carb or FI..

Exactly. It's just two different ways of accomplishing the same thing.

NORTY FLATZ 06-05-2016 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by nitroturbo4u (Post 15208060)
Hi all...Danny M here in Myrtle Beach.....Saw a shirt today....
Say's "REAL HARLEY's USE CARBS...NOT JAP F.I."
Any input???

My Harley came equipped with a Mikuni carb as stock, back in 1994.

Was it a "real" Harley? Are the new bikes, "real" Harleys? Does a Harley have to have a kickstarter to be considered a "real" Harley?

Answer~ A "real" Harley is a bike that is marketed by the MOCO. Nothing more, nor less.

I sold my "real" Harley (with the "Jap" carb) for a new "real" Harley (with the "Jap F.I.) because of the carb issues with the ethanol laced gasoline. It wasn't the carb's fault that it eroded it's internal jets at a rapid rate. It's the EPA's fault for forcing the oil companies to lace their gasoline with an oxygenate. But, back to the carb vs. F. I.

Would it be better if Harley had used fuel injection from maybe an American Company like Hillborn? For marketing purposes? Maybe. Should Harley go back to using strictly American Companies to source their parts for their bikes? Yes, but only if the US Gov't allows them to...

TwiZted Biker 06-05-2016 11:18 AM

Real harley's use carbs>??

Dunno about "real" ones but my favorite harleys do :icon_mrgreen: