General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like the livewire is going into production

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,635 Likes on 4,629 Posts
Default Looks like the livewire is going into production

Black Widow already has one, and it sounds like you’ll be able to ride an electric “Hog” soon.
Harley-Davidson Senior Vice President of Global Demand Sean Cummings tells the Milwaukee Business Journal that the company will have a battery-powered bike on sale within five years.
The decision comes two years after Harley-Davidson unveiled the Livewire electric motorcycle concept, which was powered by a 74 hp and 52 lb-ft motor that was good for a sprint to 60 mph in less than four seconds, and a range of 53 miles per charge. It’s since been used by Scarlet Johansson’s character in the “Avengers” films.
Forty Livewires were built and brought on a tour of Harley-Davidson dealerships, where test rides were offered and feedback gathered from current and potential customers. Price and specifications for the production bike have not been revealed, but Cummins says it will have at least double the range of the Livewire.
It will need it to be competitive. Harley-Davidson rival Victory Motorcycles put its electric Empulse TT on sale late last year with a range of over 130 miles per charge for $19,999.
----------
Harley-Davidson Livewire revealed:

More from Fox News

At least it will go farther now

Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 1,162 Posts

I think Harley would have a better chance selling speed boats then the Livewire .
It's just not what we're look for yet. Maybe in another 20 yrs.
If I was on the Harley board I'd be putting the company's money into building a reverse trike , two front wheels and the V Rod motor on it.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,196 Likes on 11,116 Posts

I think Zero motorcycles has the electric bike market all plugged in. Expect Tesla to jump in too.
I am guessing there is a political motive behind MOCO's decision to produce the bike. Clean, green energy is politically correct and it may allow HD to use up some gas powered bike pollution credits through the Cap and Trade .

The following users liked this post:
Antonio Balls (07-22-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I think Zero motorcycles has the electric bike market all plugged in. Expect Tesla to jump in too.
I am guessing there is a political motive behind MOCO's decision to produce the bike. Clean, green energy is politically correct and it may allow HD to use up some gas powered bike pollution credits through the Cap and Trade .

Question's been asked a few times during our bi annual Q&A with Elon and there's not a peep anywhere in the rumor mill so safe bet it isn't on the table as yet, too much else going right now.

Far as the LiveWire goes unless they get the range up to 120 miles or so per charge it'll be a worse lame duck than the streets were. 53 miles is a joke.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Of course, an electric vehicle is only as "green" as the electricity that charges it. If that electricity is generated by fossil fuel, have we gained anything?

The following users liked this post:
load97 (07-23-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,635 Likes on 4,629 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Question's been asked a few times during our bi annual Q&A with Elon and there's not a peep anywhere in the rumor mill so safe bet it isn't on the table as yet, too much else going right now.

Far as the LiveWire goes unless they get the range up to 120 miles or so per charge it'll be a worse lame duck than the streets were. 53 miles is a joke.
they say its now 130 range

Old 06-14-2016, 06:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
they say its now 130 range
I wonder which mode it's in getting that, has to be the economy setting which seriously throttles back response & performance from the tech specs I read somewhere.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:51 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I sat on an Empulse at a local mega dealership... wow, for practically 20 grand I would want a LOT more than that thing offers.

It's a small bike. The Livewire is a small bike. Limited baggage options, limited range, and a ride feel that's totally different from the harley norm. I just don't see this making huge inroads into either the sport bike crowd or the harley crowd.

The other companies are trying to entice the sport bike crowd by showing off performances at the isle of man and pikes peak but the kid who wants to wheelie on the highway or cut up some country twists as fast as possible isn't going to want to spend 20 grand on a bike that has a range measured with mundane performance used to make the figure as long as possible.

Sure, it'll be popular with the kind of urban folks that are buying the teslas but the price point is a bit too high.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Unless the live wire is significantly better than what is currently on the market nobody that wants an electric motorcycle will wait around for Harley to make one.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I think if the price was in the five to seven thousand dollar range, it would be viable, but at twenty thousand dollars, look at how much more bike you can get with that kind of money. That is more than just about all the other bikes Harley makes besides CVO, trikes, and touring models. It is right on par with the S model pricing. It's almost four grand more than a Heritage.

I guess I am getting old. Even in the early nineties, a new Sportster was only five thousand dollars.

Quick Reply: Looks like the livewire is going into production