Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bad biker manners (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1121554-bad-biker-manners.html)

skid_pimp 06-16-2016 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by vizcarmb (Post 15244313)
Well it is acceptable here in CA so when I saw the video, I saw nothing wrong because this happens frequently since I ride a slow ass Harley. A friendly wave for letting him pass makes it even better.

I would rather have a happy biker be on its way then blocking them not letting them pass.

Just read the California law, as I couldn't fathom that being legal. Oh it's not! Lane splitting is legal up to 50mph (crazy I think) and at no faster than 15mph faster than traffic being split...

sailmotion 06-16-2016 01:09 PM

The pattern I see developing is that Californians [where lane splitting is legal] see what happened to the OP as OK, whereas mostly everyone else thinks it was not. Perhaps that's the difference.

Ron750 06-16-2016 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO (Post 15243603)
Just so I don't have to dig back through thousands of post to correlate the names of members who have proclaimed how safe it is to split Lanes, you all know who you are.

Now explain to me the difference between what this guy did that is any different than lane splitting? oh wait, never mind, I see the difference, he did it to a motorcycle and not a cage.

Interesting indeed

And don't waste our time defining that legality or the state in which this was done, we are all aware it was not Cali.

Lane Splitting is always promoted as safe, if restricted to speeds under 30. When I was in California , they were doing it at 75. So yeah, there's no difference, they're all nut jobs.

crazytown 06-16-2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by guitarfish (Post 15241826)
That's why I post here. I commuted 110 miles on my Harley today...I can handle some constructive criticism. :icon_bricks:I don't post stuff like this to be patted on the back.

FWIW, the trip home was uneventful, but I was working those mirrors. ;)

Keep on truckin' brother.

FWIW I usually take 5 min or so after I end a segment or ride, and mentally replay through a few key moments, both good and bad. Helps me think of things I should have done better, and remember things I did well so I can do them again. It took a month or so of 'forcing' myself to do it, now it's just habit.

LoneBone 06-16-2016 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jakenok (Post 15244352)
The only way to be someone's brother is to earn it, and doing what you advocate aint it. So, no I'm not your ****ing brother.

I've never ever "liked" a post on this forum, but this was almost my first one.

Almost....:icon_lolsign:

xwhyz1959 06-16-2016 05:56 PM

Dick move for sure. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so I don't know if someone else has mentioned it. But I know you weren't going to execute a lane change just by your mirrors alone. Can you say "head check"? And I don't mean looking over into the other lane, at the spot you are going to get run over in. I mean a honest to goodness, look over your shoulder.

rjo3491 06-16-2016 06:00 PM

...he did wave.

nevada72 06-16-2016 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by LoneBone (Post 15245133)
I've never ever "liked" a post on this forum, but this was almost my first one.

Almost....:icon_lolsign:

Damn.......

Now I have a new challenge - get a "thanks" from LoneBone. What's it gonna take? PM me your shipping address. :D

kuri77 06-16-2016 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by sailmotion (Post 15244511)
The pattern I see developing is that Californians [where lane splitting is legal] see what happened to the OP as OK, whereas mostly everyone else thinks it was not. Perhaps that's the difference.

Kind of true Sailmotion about here in CA. People do pass others in the same lane all the time and often after getting waved on because the front guy was using his mirrors. I look at it as my fault if a guy passes on my left without me noticing and I hold no grudge because that is accepted here. However, passing on the right like that is very rare in my personal experience, mostly I think because most bikers are more caring of their personal safety. I think the guy was a jerk too even if he considers that legal lane splitting. When i'm on twisty roads like Ortega Hwy, I really check my mirrors because some of the racer guys pass so quickly and loudly that I practically jump off my bike.
As dumb as what that guy did was, the dumbest thing I ever saw along these lines was coming back from Sturgis in 90 I was riding behind two baggers going side by side and a Hells Angel passed in between them down the center with inches to spare while going at least 20 mph faster than them. They both almost jumped off their bikes.

LoneBone 06-16-2016 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by nevada72 (Post 15245378)
Damn.......

Now I have a new challenge - get a "thanks" from LoneBone. What's it gonna take? PM me your shipping address. :D

That just might get you a thanks Bawb.

Maybe....:D