General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon not so nice guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

what happens if this ******* would have come up on a car ? no differance in coming up on another bike. ifyou have the ***** ,you can pass anytime you want. i'm an old guy myself but as far as the guy getting in you face, he needed a good old fashion punch in the eye. f--k people like him.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
When I ride on the dragon (have done roughly 8 times in past two months), I use 3 minutes method. If you see a bunch of cars or slow moving bikes in front of you, STOP on the shoulder wherever it is available and let them go. Within 3 minutes they will be far enough for you enjoy the curves at your own speed. If you meet them again, repeat the same.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by kingxirol
When I ride on the dragon (have done roughly 8 times in past two months), I use 3 minutes method. If you see a bunch of cars or slow moving bikes in front of you, STOP on the shoulder wherever it is available and let them go. Within 3 minutes they will be far enough for you enjoy the curves at your own speed. If you meet them again, repeat the same.
That.

I've done the same. No sense getting in a bother when you're supposed to be having fun.

On the supermoto comments - yes I've ridden them. I grew up riding the twisties on dirt bikes to get from trail to trail. Little difference except it's a little easier to break the back tire loose.

But none of that matters. There's no excuse for being an asshat even if your bike is a rocket. And rest assured, I have been stuck behind supermotos and sportbikes on my Harleys and BMWs. Not for any other reason than they were just enjoying the scenery at a slower rate than I wanted to go. I either do the 3 minute thing above, pass if available (FYI - you want to see someone become an instant ******* - pass them on their sportbike when you're on a Harley - Hoo boy! The dicks start a swingin) or just sit back and relax.

The following users liked this post:
Hraefn (06-18-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,409 Likes on 5,531 Posts

It's a mixed bag for me.
I firmly believe that if you are holding anyone up, regardless of speed, let them by.
It doesn't do anyone any good being a roadblock, and most likely both you and the one behind will get worked up about it.

About a year ago I noted here that when I taught my girls to drive I told them "If there is no one in front of you and in the mirror there is a line behind you, you are the problem, pull over and let them by."

Someone here took offense to that and told me his opinion was that "You either left too late or you didn't buy a big enough motor."

I stand by my thought, life is too short, let them through.
Most times I am NOT the hold-up, sometimes I am.
I won't fight about it, not worth it.

But that said, the other rider was a dick, he obviously didn't have enough cajones to do what he had to to pass a bike, it's not like it was a tractor-trailer.

I ride the Rockies with friends on bikes often, lot's of slow vehicles, one by one we pass, it may take miles, but it gets done.

Br125 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,503 Likes on 6,631 Posts

Originally Posted by RaSh
I firmly believe that if you are holding anyone up, regardless of speed, let them by.
It doesn't do anyone any good being a roadblock, and most likely both you and the one behind will get worked up about it.
I agree, I always move over & let a faster rider pass. It's not my job to be the mayor & make others comply with the speed limit.

Br125 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
It's not a matter of owing anything to anyone, it's a matter of respect and courtesy.

And it doesn't matter what you did for 22 years, it's not your job to make people conform to how you want them to ride.
But it's his job to pull over even though he is doing above the speed limit?

I can't believe the other guy was really in that big of a hurry if he took the time to stop and lecture you on your riding. Of course he was a punk as well giving the evidence that he wanted to pose like he was going to fight you.

RickLB (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Originally Posted by wilddave
I debated weather to post or not, but I am going to. I am a former supermoto rider, I have had several.

If you haven't owned one i'm not sure you can appreciate how much faster those bikes are on a road like the dragon than anything else. I don't care what kind of Harley or cruiser you re riding, the best rider riding any harley at 100% is going to be slow to a decent rider on a moto. On a road like the dragon a moto will eat superbikes for lunch, I have seen it.

If you and your friend would have made any kind of room, even just move to the side of your lane, the moto would have been gone. It sounds to me like you and your friend sped up and rode fast for you, and possibly put yourself in danger in order to keep up.

It sounds like the guy was a jerk, and should have handled himself a lot better, but supermotos are made for the Dragon. Give them the center half of the lane and let them go. They will be gone in no time, and you can enjoy the road at whatever speed you enjoy.

This, done safely at the proper spots.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Rode the Dragon twice. Once north and came back going south. Middle of the week so traffic was minimal. Compared to other roads in the area I found the scenery to be so so. Riding a fully loaded RG with my wife as well I found it difficult to take much interest in scenery. Watching the road in front and keeping an eye out for whatever in the mirror. Pretty much rode the speed limit. Several times riders/drivers that were much faster than me would come up from behind. I pulled to the right some and waved them by. I figure that way I can see the accident rather than be in one. Most who passed me were happy and waved as they went by. I held no one up. For the most part it was an uneventful ride. I did see a few would be racers behind cars that were at the speed limit or below that had no way to move or pull over. There was a shortage of manners in those cases. Anyway been there done that. Too many other roads with better scenery and way less problems to deal with.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
.Would have been cooler if he had taken out his pistol, turned around and taken a shot at him. Oh wait, it was another bike, not a dump truck. Never mind.
Beat me to it! I was going to say shot him and stuffed him in a dump truck somewhere.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 PM
rgb66
Club Member
Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

I've maintained a home in the area for over 20 years. Rode many different bikes as well as driven many a car down that stretch. Some purpose built for that only.

A couple things stand out in this bickering. This person was in so much of a hurry that he stopped at a pull over to whine? No, it sounds more like his tail was heat chapped and he needed a break because from early spring to late fall once he got passed a bike or a group of bikes he would have caught up with a car full of vacationers and they would have been harder to slip around.

Second, you never know what is coming at you. It could be almost anything including a TN state patrolman. (unless you have friends with radios scattered about to let you know.) I've had to sit many times while someone that didn't fare well was collected and taken elsewhere.

I thought at first this was probably a local that thought they owned the road but on second thought it was probably a visitor that was only going to get one chance. Oh well.

nevada72 (06-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Dragon not so nice guy