General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF vs Riders Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 AM
azrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF vs Riders Edge?

I have been riding off and on (more off) for many years. I recently started riding again and I know I have some bad habits and would like to get a good course under my belt. With that said, how do these 2 courses compare, which would you recommend and why? Both are offered in my area.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MSF vs Riders Edge?

Back in 2003, I took the Rider's Edge course after a long period of inactivity. The bikes that you ride are larger than in the MSF courses in this area -- they use the Buell Blast. I think that the content is similar, although it's steered more toward Harley bikes. In Washington State, the RE course doesn't get you the endorsement -- you still have to take the test. Great experience, though. As with anything, it probably depends on the instructor corps.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Bluerose

Check with your insurance company...MSF can often get you a discount.
Not sure about Riders Edge.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The Riders Edge is run using only Buell Blasts, while the MSF course typically has whatever is donated/etc. I believe the RE class is a little longer too, if I recall there was another 4 hour session (classroom I think). Depending on the area, it probably costs more, although if you go through a sponsored dealer, they will usually give youa voucherback if you purchase a bike from them.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't taken either, but from what i've read on here they're pretty much the same except that the Rider's Edge has some HD product promotion thrown in.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,141 Likes on 5,592 Posts

Alot of states have the MSF course for free,I believe the RE is not.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 AM
grinner
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Riders Edge class uses MSF materials, exercises, and tests. It is the same class. Riders Edge takes more time because of shameless dealer product promotion. Like a pointless dealer tour and time after discussing riding clothing to take a break and go shopping in the motorclothes department, etc. On the plus side, the dealer provided cake on the last day and a coupon for products purchased at the dealer. Buell Blasts are a pretty nice learning bike, too.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 AM
azrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: grinner

Riders Edge class uses MSF materials, exercises, and tests. It is the same class. Riders Edge takes more time because of shameless dealer product promotion. Like a pointless dealer tour and time after discussing riding clothing to take a break and go shopping in the motorclothes department, etc. On the plus side, the dealer provided cake on the last day and a coupon for products purchased at the dealer. Buell Blasts are a pretty nice learning bike, too.
Wellthat explains why one ofthe dealers around here ishas it on their site that they do the Riders Edge course (and it does not say anything about the MSF course)butthey are listed on the MSF site as doing that trainingalso.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: azrider
Wellthat explains why one ofthe dealers around here ishas it on their site that they do the Riders Edge course (and it does not say anything about the MSF course)butthey are listed on the MSF site as doing that trainingalso.
Hey azrider, try the Team Arizona course. That was what I took back in 02. Chandler HD sponsored it, so when I completed the course, they gave me a $225 voucher (as I bought my first Blast from them) that I could use in the store. Also, it was/is an MSF endorsed course, so when you take the test on the last day, and pass it, you get a waiver to take to the DMV to get your M endorsement.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both courses are the same...

Riders Edge is about 4 hours longer so you have time to shop the dealer and buy more stuff.

Quick Reply: MSF vs Riders Edge?