General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding safely and protecting yourself: Tips, stories, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts
Default Riding safely and protecting yourself: Tips, stories, etc.

I am hoping that by starting a separate thread we can diffuse the arguing and heated discussions on the Larry Weaver thread and leave it as a thread where we express our sadness and our respect for a fallen brother.

Please use this thread to share your personal stories, philosophies and tips so that we all may learn from this extremely sad situation and ride safely in honor of Larry Weaver.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sarah93003:
critter85 (07-05-2016), Papa G (07-06-2016), pie plate (07-04-2016), Redlegvzv (07-05-2016)

Top Answer

07-03-2016, 07:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I started riding in March of 1956. Have never dropped a bike and one accident in almost 500K lifetime total miles when an elderly lady not only ran a stop sign but turned into me as I just cleared the intersection.

I was trained in defensive driving while in law enforcement and was a safety committee member and OSHA compliance officer in several organizations.

Total focus on the road ahead to the horizon/vanishing point. Always act as if just around the blind corner is a stopped car or hazard. I played a game while patrolling in the 60's. While watching the horizon ahead I would try to spot marijuana plants at 180 degrees to my right and left. That was in a rural county in the midwest where hemp was grown for rope for military use during WWII. So there was an abundant supply of wild growth in the ditch lines. It was good practice to stay looking ahead but seeing every thing in your peripheral vision.

I developed a attitude that I wasn't invisible like some think but that every vehicle saw me and intended to hit me. To that end if there is a car approaching a stop intersection I slow and prepare to take evasive action. As a result I have avoided up to two dozen events each year where the other driver did turn left in front of me, ran the stop sign or changed lanes. Since I ride from over 30 to 40K+ each year I run into those more often than a typical rider. I have even had a state trooper run a sign and I was ready.

I am religious in proper following distance. I stay at least three to four seconds behind any vehicle. Sure some will pull into that space so I just fall back. Another point is anger never get mad at the other driver just keep calm and do what I call drive for others.

I ride all through the winter to keep my skills current. Winter riding mandates even greater focus on speed in corners, following distance and alertness to surface conditions. If one can ride all winter then summer riding is a piece of cake.

Equipment is another safety issue. I do all of my own maintenance and know what my tires pressure and condition is. I did fail that once with a winter bike that the rear tire started showing the belts. The mileage was well below what the tire should have typically gotten. That mistake did not cause a problem but had value in waking me up that I could miss a critical detail.

The crowd that believes skills are doing figure 8's in a parking lot just don't understand that that skill has never saved anyone's bacon. I was riding with a MSF instructor who every morning did that showboating before we headed out. Before the weekend was over he went down into a guardrail trying to make a curve at speed.

The two essential skills are emergency braking and object avoidance. They should be practiced at least once a month. Emergency braking is the skill to immediately but softly get to the brakes and then get the front compressed while increasing the brake pressure on the front but less aggressive on the rear. Object avoidance is when something is in the road counter steer abruptly then again to return to the line that you were traveling in.

One comment on tires. Trust them very few of you really know the limit on turning when you realize you are going to hot into a corner. Over half of all motorcycle accidents are new riders but over half of the fatalities are experienced riders. The biggest number of deaths are from entering a corner too fast stabbing the rear brake then make an absolutely straight black market across the road into the ditch, abutment or tree. The fact is at what ever speed they were going the only option was to counter steer immediately and hang on. Trail brake if you know how but turn. Most would have made it. Sadly they didn't even try.

I have went ocean to ocean, Key West to the Arctic Circle, 49 States and much of Canada without any mechanical issues which I credit to equipment maintenance.

At 75 yoa it is more important than ever not to bounce onto the ground or into another vehicle.

I took the safe riding tips as the principle matter to protect oneself on the road on the bike. The incident with the sad case is so rare that it has little bearing on a motorcyclist's safety on trips. Carrying may not work as any other weapon. It is all situational circumstances. It could be taken from you and used against you. Of 6,000 motorcycle deaths last year I would venture that less than 1 to three homicides on innocent riders were perpetrated.

Stay alert and ride safe.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

What kind of stories, etc.? Not sure what you're looking for.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

I do not currently have a firearm but have every intention to save up for one when I can. I grew up with rifles and shotguns, but have little experience with handguns. I bought a .44 Magnum revolver once but the kick really hurt my hand and arm so I gave it to a relative. With the world in the state that it currently is, my sister and I have decided to buy a handgun, take shooting lessons and get a CCW. I'm considering the Colt Defender.

We ride a lot and often fairly long distance including traveling around the US. I have stayed at campgrounds and hotels where the vibe was a bit unsettling. I always take great care in how I park our two bikes. My bike has a loud alarm system as well as a locking steering arm. If I am staying overnight, I will lock the steering and position the bike to make it very difficult to roll.

Currently my protection are knives. I've had knives since I was a child and know how to use them quite well. I've had a little additional training from a friend who is a mechanic for the Navy Seals on how to hold and strike during a fight.

I never leave the house without a knife in my purse or my riding jacket. If I am riding overnight then I always take one of my favorite fixed blades, either a Ka-Bar or the RH-36. They are very sharp and hold an edge well. I am 5'8" tall and of good old fashion farming stock. If someone were to mess with my bike I would likely take pictures with my cell phone and depending on how many there are I may or may not confront them. It occurs to me that pepper spray might also be a good idea to always pack when you travel. It would be difficult for the bad guys to fight when they can see.

My standard travel pack.

Originally Posted by Imold
What kind of stories, etc.? Not sure what you're looking for.
Well, if you ride cross country do you take any steps toward self protection? Would you confront someone trying to steal your bike and if so, how would you approach it? Have you had a similar situation and if so what did you do. Do you take certain precautions?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-04-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,624 Likes on 6,663 Posts

I would love to participate in your thread, Sarah, but I hesitate to tip my hand as if something bad did happen I wouldn't want a post on this forum to come back & kick my ***.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I would love to participate in your thread, Sarah, but I hesitate to tip my hand as if something bad did happen I wouldn't want a post on this forum to come back & kick my ***.
Just getting started at sarcasm school eh?

Sarah, this post was a thoughtful gesture but we really beat it up pretty good in the other one I think.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,624 Likes on 6,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Just getting started at sarcasm school eh?
Actually I was being serious. Anything you say can & will be used against you in a court of law.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tommy C:
Greg Di (07-06-2016), hvacgaspiping (07-06-2016), pie plate (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:51 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been licensed to carry for as many years as the State of Oklahoma has had the law in place. I do not travel without a sidearm, nor does my wife. Nonetheless, it does not take the place of proper situational awareness. I do not look for trouble and would likely go well out of my way to avert. I would hope to never find myself in a situation where I need to draw my pistol. And, if I ever do, I would hope that my training would allow me to do so with proper deliberation and process.

Sarah, it's my understanding that obtaining a CCW in California is no easy task. Good luck with your attempt. I hope you're successful. For me, I will generally not ride in those states that do have a reciprocity agreement with the State of Oklahoma. Fortunately, most states do. For those who do not, I either, 1) detour around said state, or 2) carry my firearm through that state locked and unloaded in accordance with federal transport requirements.

In Oklahoma we are not required to retreat in the face of a threat. We are protected by the state's "Stand Your Ground Law". That being said, as with most things, just because one has the legal right to do something, it does not necessarily follow that exercising that right would be the most prudent thing to do.

Steve

Old 07-03-2016, 07:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I started riding in March of 1956. Have never dropped a bike and one accident in almost 500K lifetime total miles when an elderly lady not only ran a stop sign but turned into me as I just cleared the intersection.

I was trained in defensive driving while in law enforcement and was a safety committee member and OSHA compliance officer in several organizations.

Total focus on the road ahead to the horizon/vanishing point. Always act as if just around the blind corner is a stopped car or hazard. I played a game while patrolling in the 60's. While watching the horizon ahead I would try to spot marijuana plants at 180 degrees to my right and left. That was in a rural county in the midwest where hemp was grown for rope for military use during WWII. So there was an abundant supply of wild growth in the ditch lines. It was good practice to stay looking ahead but seeing every thing in your peripheral vision.

I developed a attitude that I wasn't invisible like some think but that every vehicle saw me and intended to hit me. To that end if there is a car approaching a stop intersection I slow and prepare to take evasive action. As a result I have avoided up to two dozen events each year where the other driver did turn left in front of me, ran the stop sign or changed lanes. Since I ride from over 30 to 40K+ each year I run into those more often than a typical rider. I have even had a state trooper run a sign and I was ready.

I am religious in proper following distance. I stay at least three to four seconds behind any vehicle. Sure some will pull into that space so I just fall back. Another point is anger never get mad at the other driver just keep calm and do what I call drive for others.

I ride all through the winter to keep my skills current. Winter riding mandates even greater focus on speed in corners, following distance and alertness to surface conditions. If one can ride all winter then summer riding is a piece of cake.

Equipment is another safety issue. I do all of my own maintenance and know what my tires pressure and condition is. I did fail that once with a winter bike that the rear tire started showing the belts. The mileage was well below what the tire should have typically gotten. That mistake did not cause a problem but had value in waking me up that I could miss a critical detail.

The crowd that believes skills are doing figure 8's in a parking lot just don't understand that that skill has never saved anyone's bacon. I was riding with a MSF instructor who every morning did that showboating before we headed out. Before the weekend was over he went down into a guardrail trying to make a curve at speed.

The two essential skills are emergency braking and object avoidance. They should be practiced at least once a month. Emergency braking is the skill to immediately but softly get to the brakes and then get the front compressed while increasing the brake pressure on the front but less aggressive on the rear. Object avoidance is when something is in the road counter steer abruptly then again to return to the line that you were traveling in.

One comment on tires. Trust them very few of you really know the limit on turning when you realize you are going to hot into a corner. Over half of all motorcycle accidents are new riders but over half of the fatalities are experienced riders. The biggest number of deaths are from entering a corner too fast stabbing the rear brake then make an absolutely straight black market across the road into the ditch, abutment or tree. The fact is at what ever speed they were going the only option was to counter steer immediately and hang on. Trail brake if you know how but turn. Most would have made it. Sadly they didn't even try.

I have went ocean to ocean, Key West to the Arctic Circle, 49 States and much of Canada without any mechanical issues which I credit to equipment maintenance.

At 75 yoa it is more important than ever not to bounce onto the ground or into another vehicle.

I took the safe riding tips as the principle matter to protect oneself on the road on the bike. The incident with the sad case is so rare that it has little bearing on a motorcyclist's safety on trips. Carrying may not work as any other weapon. It is all situational circumstances. It could be taken from you and used against you. Of 6,000 motorcycle deaths last year I would venture that less than 1 to three homicides on innocent riders were perpetrated.

Stay alert and ride safe.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by lh4x4:
captbob (07-04-2016), GTK (07-05-2016), Jmaz (07-04-2016), JPS_Lotus98T (07-05-2016), kc5gxc (07-15-2016), nevada72 (07-04-2016), Orion-5 (07-03-2016), Papa G (07-06-2016), pie plate (07-04-2016), Scumbag_72 (07-11-2016), stellarpod (07-03-2016), Twospot (07-06-2016) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
Well, if you ride cross country do you take any steps toward self protection? Would you confront someone trying to steal your bike and if so, how would you approach it? Have you had a similar situation and if so what did you do. Do you take certain precautions?
In the Army, we called it situational awareness; observe and analyze everyone and everything around you. That's saved me a few times and that's what I rely on more than a weapon. Avoid trouble before it happens. I've seldom seen a woman really pay attention to what went on around her; please don't be that way, makes you easy prey - don't let your guard down when there are people around you don't know. I usually carry a knife on overnights, but only carried a gun on long off road rides - open, not concealed. Off road, it was for either animals or people - you're on your own miles out in the woods or desert, and when I did see people out there, I avoided them.

See someone stealing my bike, it would depend on the circumstances, but I'm not going to argue with someone armed over any bike. I don't use any special security measures with my bikes, but they're all old, nothing fancy, just riders set up for function over looks. I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving a bike like yours in a motel parking lot. If my Tour Glide had S&S decals instead of cast on the motor, I'd take them off. Worst comes to worst, I'll just hope the insurance settlement is fair.

The following 2 users liked this post by Imold:
kc5gxc (07-15-2016), Papa G (07-06-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 PM
KCinKy
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I am hoping that by starting a separate thread we can diffuse the arguing and heated discussions on the Larry Weaver thread and leave it as a thread where we express our sadness and our respect for a fallen brother.

Please use this thread to share your personal stories, philosophies and tips so that we all may learn from this extremely sad situation and ride safely in honor of Larry Weaver.
First of all, RIP Mr. Weave and condolences to his family and friends. It was a sad and terrible thing to have happened.

I'd be glad to participate in such a discussion for helpful reasons. I will not argue but I'll try to discuss things. That's a big reason I don't comment on a lot of things.

I'll check back later and see how it goes. Be safe out there.

Quick Reply: Riding safely and protecting yourself: Tips, stories, etc.