General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Hanging 'Em Up" for Good - Third Try

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Hanging 'Em Up" for Good - Third Try

They say things come in threes, and today's my third swing at "Hanging 'Em Up". I've retired from riding twice before, both times I thought it was forever, but after riding for 45 years every Springtime I "get the urge" to do it again. This year was no different, but after my 4th rotator cuff surgery, and a painfully long rehab, I have to admit that the time has come.

Despite a fine surgeon, dedicated rehab teams, and lots of work on my part, I still have permanent "nerve impairment", "limited range of motion", and "low strength" in my right arm. Can't say I'm surprised after 4 surgeries on that arm alone.

So, sad to say, I just said "Good Bye" to my mount as the new owner rode it away. He and his wife are happy, and I'm happy for them, but I KNOW it will be a very long Summer, and a worse 2017 Spring.

In retrospect I have many great memories, and they will remain with me. A few thoughts looking back over 45 years of riding:

1) I remember many perfect days when I didn't ride - something else always came up. Working around the house, running family errands. Those things are important, but now that my riding days are past I kinda wish that I had taken some of those rides and left the chores for another time.

2) Constant training was my best investment. 45 years ago my wife (still the same woman after all these years!) made me a deal. "Hon, you can ride all you want, BUT I want you to take riding classes at least every two years to keep your skills up." In 45 years of riding that was the best advice I ever got. I've taken MSF basic and advanced classes over a dozen times, took high speed classes with the Keith Code Superbike School, and BikeSafe - a Police administered all day class given by my State DMV (NC). Each taught me something, and the ONE TIME in these years I went down, the damage to me and the bike were minimal. I never realized how important the training was. Without it I'm pretty sure that I'd have been seriously injured. The training alerted me to the problem before it happened, and I got slowed down and under control before the accident. It was automatic from all of my training, never even thought about it.

3) Good Gear is your friend. I won't rehash the helmet, no helmet debate, but I will say that when I went down I had on a Full Face helmet, Aerostich riding suit, BMW riding boots, and Lee Parks gloves. All of the gear absorbed the impact, allowing me to stand up and walk away. There is nothing in life that was more "exciting" than seeing the pavement two inches in front of my eyes as my helmet rubbed along 60 feet of highway. Without the gear I'm likely not here to write this. Even though the training helped minimize the impact, and even though I was "only" riding at 40 MPH, the damage to my gear amazed me. I hate to think about what would have happened if I didn't have the training and didn't wear the gear.

4) Riding is meant to be fun. I look back and recall times that I rode when I was angry, tired, or the weather was terrible and I wanted to get home. Sometimes it was unavoidable, but other times I think back to the rides I didn't take when the weather was perfect. As I said before, DON'T take riding for granted. There may come a time when you can no longer ride. The last thing you want to do is look back and say "if only".

5) Bikers are a community - enjoy it. I've owned many bikes, Harleys mostly, but also BMW, MV Agusta, Honda, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha, and others. Over 2 dozen in all. I've always "waved" whenever I could, tried not to judge other riders, and didn't criticize other riders for not doing things the way I would. I'm not saying that made a big difference, but I always felt that every rider I met was a person just like me. I made lots of friends that way, and often learned something new.

So, thanks to everyone on this forum. Over the years I've asked your advice, offered some in return, and enjoyed every minute of camaraderie on this forum. I've been a member of many forums - this is truly the best.

All the best, and Enjoy the Ride!

Last edited by lencap; 07-07-2016 at 08:08 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by lencap:
HardRider1 (07-08-2016), Montag (05-07-2018), MURPHCC1 (07-07-2016), Profrags1 (07-08-2016), SG_Jim (07-09-2016), Shdwcaster (07-08-2016), sunderhill (07-08-2016), Uncle Peepers (07-08-2016), Vernal (07-08-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

See ya! Take care and happy travels.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

It's obvious that you have done everything right.

Live close to water?
How about a boat?

Good luck in the future and there is no reason it can't be as good as the past.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Sorry to hear you're hanging it up. I understand though. My riding days are numbered as well.

Stick around the forums. Anybody with the experience you have is a valuable addition!

The following 2 users liked this post by Gypsylady:
elky72ss454 (07-07-2016), sunderhill (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 09:21 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

It takes a person with wisdom to make the choice of " when it's time."

Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Golf clubs? ( please say no ) Enjoy the next chapter!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Definitely a hard decision to make, but good on you to know when the time comes. Take care, enjoy life and keep to the positive side of things.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Lencap,

Loved reading your post. All I have to say is I'm glad you reach the end of the road. Alot of folks don't get the pleasure of getting old and enjoying a full life.

Good luck in your next passion.

The following users liked this post:
elky72ss454 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 PM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
Lencap,

Loved reading your post. All I have to say is I'm glad you reach the end of the road. Alot of folks don't get the pleasure of getting old and enjoying a full life.

Good luck in your next passion.
He's right about that. I am sure you have many great memories on 2 wheels to cherish. hate to hear you're hanging it up but you have to do what you have to do...Good luck, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,615 Likes on 4,622 Posts

motorcycle riding is always a diminishing skill. and it is important that we are aware of that diminishing event. I applaud you for being aware, and vigilant, and unselfish enough to know when it is time. Mens egos get in the way a lot!! good for you, I wish you all the best. get yourself a cool car!! and stick around this place, You are still needed here for words of wisdom that only experience brings!

The following users liked this post:
elky72ss454 (07-07-2016)

Quick Reply: "Hanging 'Em Up" for Good - Third Try