General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh motorcycle jackets??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:55 PM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mesh motorcycle jackets??

Last year I purchased a Harley-Davidson hi-vis mesh jacket. I wore it twice and even though it came with body armor, I felt that the majority of the selling price was based on the HD bar and shield. I also had the impression that 1) mesh jackets are not really accepted in the Harley culture. 2) hi viz is not the same as motoring in a black t-shirt. 3) equal or better protection is possible from other manufacturers at a lower price without the iconic "Bar and Shield". It seems that vests, denim or leather is about all that is worn during the summer for "protection". Any thoughts?

Last edited by V-Twin; 07-08-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 PM
thefitzvh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a mesh jacket from time to time. Not as breezy as a t-shirt obviously, but I've wrecked in one many moons ago and was glad I had it.

Yes, you can get better or equal protection for less without the logo. But, that said, I overpaid for an H-D branded wallet today. It's all relative, right?

Mine isn't hi viz, but it is white. So it catches the eye.

I'm the weirdo on the Softail with a jacket, riding boots, gloves, full face helmet, etc. I even wear armored overpants sometimes.

The other day a guy was showing off his road rash scars, and then told me I looked silly in all my gear.

Personal preference... but I did mention that his scars looked pretty goofy, too

The following users liked this post:
Fozworth (07-11-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:05 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'm a Harley rider. No, wait...I'm not. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. Not the same thing, at all. (Btw, it's my 5th Harley.)

I have been humorously accused of looking like a BMW rider that stole a Harley.

On the other hand, and this is the absolute truth, the farther away I get from "traditional" Harley riding "apparel", the more comfortable I am when it's cold, the more comfortable I am when it's hot, the more confident I am that I'm dressing as safely as I can while still being able to thoroughly enjoy the ride, and...wait for it...the more often I ride and the longer I ride.

My current helmet is a full coverage Shoei Neotec in brilliant yellow, a high viz Tourmaster mesh jacket in neon lime green and black, and, for summer, mesh pants with knee armor and hip padding. The mesh flows so much air it's like riding in swimming trunks. Actually, since all I've got on under them is my boxers, it's more like riding in my underwear. 'cause I am. Textile jacket in bright yellow and bright white for colder weather, full armor, and windproof, waterproof, and quilted liners for really cold. Armored textile pants that fit over my jeans. And heated jacket liner and gloves for REALLY cold.

And real boots, with toe, heel, ankle, and shin protection, and breathable, waterproof liner for rain.

To each his own. The only comments I've received from "real bikers" have either been in jest, or "nice jacket".

Oops, sorry, forget these two questions:

Originally Posted by V-Twin
...I felt that the majority of the selling price was based on the HD bar and shield. I also had the impression that 1) mesh jackets are not really accepted in the Harley culture. 2) hi viz is not the same as motoring in a black t-shirt. 3) equal or better protection is possible from other manufacturers at a lower price without the iconic "Bar and Shield". Any thoughts?
Hell, yes.
Hell, no.
Hell, no.
Hell, yes.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-08-2016 at 10:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
Doozie (08-13-2016), thefitzvh (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 PM
C2DJ
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have black Joe Rocket mesh jackets for both my wife and myself. We mostly just wear them on Interstate riding, but they are comfortable and flow plenty of air. I picked them up for about $75 each of EBay and they were like new and I fell they are worthy investments.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:29 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I use my black mesh (yes HD) jacket when it is hot. Just a $100 holder the the armour. Keeps the sun from burning you too. Was looking at other brands. Not all were cheaper. The dark custom theme of mine looked the best to me. Its a quality jacket, actually. No regrets.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM
thefitzvh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
My current helmet is a full coverage Shoei Neotec in brilliant yellow

Thread jack... I think a Neotec will be my next helmet. I'm a big fan of modular, and it seems to be the best available.

I was curious if you could speak to it's ventilation and shape? I'm closer to a long oval in the Arai stuff... I get hotspots on my forehead in my Bell Revolver.

THanks

Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by thefitzvh
Thread jack... I think a Neotec will be my next helmet. I'm a big fan of modular, and it seems to be the best available.

I was curious if you could speak to it's ventilation and shape? I'm closer to a long oval in the Arai stuff... I get hotspots on my forehead in my Bell Revolver.

THanks
The majority of helmets I tried on seem to fit me pretty well, so I'm guessing I'm a typical oval. I've worn an Arai and it fit me well.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

For those of you considering a mesh jacket, the main thing that keeps you so much cooler isn't necessarily the air flow, although that's awesome. It's the simple fact that you're in the shade.

Instead of the sun beating down on your tan skin, it's hitting the jacket. And, if the jacket is hi viz, then it's not mainly black, and that's even better. Then, when you're riding without a jacket, the air flow dries your perspiration so fast you get no cooling at all, but with a mesh jacket, it wicks perspiration into the mesh, and then the air flow cools you down.

And the sun never hits your skin. There's a reason so many farm workers in the fields wear loose-fitting, long sleeved white shirts.

The following users liked this post:
WildBill_50 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:56 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I'm a Harley rider. No, wait...I'm not. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. Not the same thing, at all. (Btw, it's my 5th Harley.)

I have been humorously accused of looking like a BMW rider that stole a Harley.

On the other hand, and this is the absolute truth, the farther away I get from "traditional" Harley riding "apparel", the more comfortable I am when it's cold, the more comfortable I am when it's hot, the more confident I am that I'm dressing as safely as I can while still being able to thoroughly enjoy the ride, and...wait for it...the more often I ride and the longer I ride.

My current helmet is a full coverage Shoei Neotec in brilliant yellow, a high viz Tourmaster mesh jacket in neon lime green and black, and, for summer, mesh pants with knee armor and hip padding. The mesh flows so much air it's like riding in swimming trunks. Actually, since all I've got on under them is my boxers, it's more like riding in my underwear. 'cause I am. Textile jacket in bright yellow and bright white for colder weather, full armor, and windproof, waterproof, and quilted liners for really cold. Armored textile pants that fit over my jeans. And heated jacket liner and gloves for REALLY cold.

And real boots, with toe, heel, ankle, and shin protection, and breathable, waterproof liner for rain.

To each his own. The only comments I've received from "real bikers" have either been in jest, or "nice jacket".

Oops, sorry, forget these two questions:

Hell, yes.
Hell, no.
Hell, no.
Hell, yes.
You're smart.. i agree with you completely here
specially since I refuse to wear any branded anything,, or things with skulls and such..
I would be interested in what brands you have and care about

Last edited by amkaos; 07-08-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i'm a fan of long sleeves. i'm not a fan of sunburn.

I picked up a hd mesh jacket a few years back in high vis. for the price, it was a worthwhile purchase. and I thought that the price was right in line with other mesh offerings, and actually had a couple of features that the others didn't, such as zip off sleeves (can use jacket as a vest), and reflective.

Quick Reply: Mesh motorcycle jackets??