General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts
Default Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler

The discussion of oil coolers arises periodically. I have been researching them for some time but did not commit to any particular one until three months ago.

Most threads related to oil coolers are about the Jagg, Ultracool or HD oil coolers. Personally, I just do not like the look of any of them, although they all get very good reviews. They all left something to be desired. I don’t want the look of a billboard attached to the frame’s downtubes. I recently installed the Wimmer twin tube billet oil cooler. I’m posting this as a separate thread for future individuals who search for Wimmer oil coolers.

This is the one I chose: https://www.wimmercustomcycle.com/Oil-Cooler-Dual.php

When I did a Google search for HDforum threads of the Wimmer twin tube oil cooler, there weren’t many to be found. Those that existed did not provide the information or the detail I was looking for. I chose the show chrome oil cooler. When I decided to purchase the cooler, I called and spoke with Ryan Wimmer. He was very courteous and informative. He advised me that I should expect around a 20 degree drop in oil temperature with the twin tube cooler. When I advised him which cooler I wanted, he checked to make sure it was in stock and I had it in my hands 3 days later.

Here is my parts list:
1. Offset oil filter adapter
I chose a Feuling adapter in chrome through Amazon. It does not have a thermostat. Here in central Texas, I don’t ride in temperatures cold enough to mandate a thermostat.

2. 1/8” NPT to 3/8” hose fittings with single barb for the offset adapter
I used straight chrome fittings from Gardner-Westcott.

3. Offset filter adapter anti-rotation device
I purchased this from Jagg but did not use it. It came with chrome 1” screws and black 1.25” screws. I needed the longer screws but did not want to install black ones so I decided not to use it. It can be installed at a later time during an oil change when I purchase longer chrome screws.

4. Oil cooler
I believe this must be purchased directly through Wimmer. I advised Ryan of my frame diameter and it included the four chrome clamps for the coolers. At the time I ordered the twin tube oil cooler, about 3 months ago, I paid almost twice the price ($350) currently listed on their website ($165). I have no complaints. I feel like I paid a reasonable price for what I received.

5. Oil cooler hoses
I purchased the oil lines through Wimmer as well. I chose the braided SS lines. They are Russell Pro System oil lines. Wimmer recommended an 8” and two 10” lines. They come with a low profile open end wrench that fit the oil lines. I ended up using two 10” and a 13” oil line. I purchased the 13” line separately after realizing one of the hoses was too short.

The oil cooler tubes are well made. They are 1” in diameter and 10” long. This gives each cooler a volume of 7.85 cu in = 128.6 cc = 4.3 fl. oz. The oil cooler tubes come with brass 3/8” single barb hose fittings on each end. All of the oil lines use compression fittings.

I only recently installed the oil cooler. The only change I would consider would be to use a 90° NPT fitting on the egress side of the filter adapter. I purchased a chrome 90° NPT fitting after I completed the install. I can always use it at a later time if I choose. It would have allowed me to use a shorter oil line. Because of the engine guard, I had to mount the coolers towards the outside of the downtubes (which is preferable) so the 8” oil line I planned to use at the top was too short. I used one of the 10” lines I had instead. I don't know if I will need the anti-rotation device. I will see how much the offset adapter rotates when I remove the oil filter at the next oil change. I can install it at any time.

After the install, I filled the system with oil and fired up the bike. No leaks. With the oil coolers and oil lines, I use approximately 9 additional fluid ounces of oil or almost 1/3 of a quart. I went on a 30 mile ride through town and on the highway. My oil pressure was 2-3 psi higher than it normally ran. It was maintained between 36-39 psi at speed and 22-24 psi idling. When I returned, my oil temperature was 234°F which is approximately 22° lower than I typically have in the Texas summer heat. This is right in line with the expected results. I let the bike cool and rechecked the compression fittings for loosening.

Overall, the oil cooler did its job and, in my opinion, looks much better than other alternatives. I would suggest considering Wimmer oil coolers. Here are a few pictures:

* I apologize for the fingerprints *

Last edited by Bone Doc; 07-14-2016 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MIKEHD#1 (05-11-2020)
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 AM
djorgensen3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the look of that much better than the typical heat exchangers.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure these coolers work. However, I'm not sure if you've achieved your original objective: I'm guessing your goal is to add the ability to cool the oil while making your bike look clean. The chrome cooler and the bright shielded hoses actually make that front part of your bike look extremely busy.

I'm not dissing your idea or effort. I'm just not sure the end result is necessarily better than the big billboard you chose to avoid.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,831 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Default Very nice

Those coolers do look good. If the whole set- up was black, it would disappear .
Never the less, great job.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:00 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Looks good. It also should fit with lowers, right? Of all I've seen this setup looks the cleanest.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I love my Wimmer. I used a different one on my Sportster. It's a single cooler shorter length and larger dia. I chose the natural aluminum finish with black fins.

Attached Thumbnails Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-20160710_190355.jpg   Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-20160710_190117.jpg   Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-20160710_190305.jpg   Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-20160710_190254.jpg   Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-20160710_190155.jpg  

Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler-10inch-stboc-bp.png  

Last edited by motohaid; 07-14-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

What temp differential are you seeing?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I already had an oil dipstick temp gauge. Mine runs about ten degrees cooler on ninety five degree days when I'm on the road. Not sure if it helps any in stop and go traffic.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Nice job, Doc.
The only thing I would change would be to 90* AN fittings where possible. That's a nice temp drop as well.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

I appreciate everyone's comments.

I wasn't looking for the coolers to be invisible, I was just never a fan of the Jagg style coolers. I think the close-up pictures from the low vantage point make it look busier than it appears from a typical viewing distance. Soft lowers shouldn't affect air flow to the coolers.

At my next oil change, I will replace the straight egress AN fitting with a 90° fitting. I should be able to put a shorter hose on as well. Thanks for the recommendation, QC.

I guess another con is I have more chrome to clean now.

The following users liked this post:
MIKEHD#1 (05-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Wimmer Twin Tube Billet Oil Cooler