General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running an auto clutch setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:12 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Anyone running an auto clutch setup?

About a month ago my left hand went to sleep and didn't wake back up! Some 30 years ago I shattered that elbow and the Ulna joint and a few inches of bone were surgically removed and 6 weeks later that bone had grown back and tried to reform the joint. Flash forward to now and the ulnar nerve has been nearly cut in two by getting pinched inside that joint that shouldn't even be there. I had surgery (Ulnar nerve transposition) last Tues but the prognoses is bleak of much if any recovery in the use of my hand because of the severity of the nerve damage. I still have decent use of my forefinger and middle finger but no guarantee they will continue to work. No way I am letting this stop me from riding! If you run one of these clutches how well does it work and what manufacturer. I know there are at least a couple of these out there but know little more.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,837 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Look up Gypsylady in here , she will be your go to for advice on riding one handed and the auto clutch.

The following users liked this post:
tnriverluver (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:18 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Hoping I don't have to do this but trying to research just in case! Riding is just way to big a part of my life!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

I've heard a lot of good things about the rekluse auto clutch. installation looks to be very simple, and they do offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

The following users liked this post:
tnriverluver (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah I've seen the Rekluse mentioned before. Hoping someone actually running one will chime in. Even if it's on a trike. This happened to me so fast it caught me off guard. Never expected to deal with something like this!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Look up Gypsylady in here , she will be your go to for advice on riding one handed and the auto clutch.
Indeed. I run an EFM Autoclutch. Here's the site. http://efmautoclutch.com/
They'll cut you bit of a price break if you NEED it. It's been a few years but a gentleman named Gary Buzzeli helped me. If he's still there, tell him Gypsy sent you.

I lost my left arm 9 years ago in a bike wreck. A dear friend built the firebreather I ride now & I couldn't love 'r more.

Here's my Pirate pic.

Seriously, if you need help, PM me your number & a good time to call & I'll help all I can.

Best of luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Gypsylady:
indiandave (07-16-2016), tnriverluver (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
They'll cut you bit of a price break if you NEED it. It's been a few years but a gentleman named Gary Buzzeli helped me. If he's still there, tell him Gypsy sent you.

I lost my left arm 9 years ago in a bike wreck. A dear friend built the firebreather I ride now & I couldn't love 'r more.

Here's my Pirate pic.

Seriously, if you need help, PM me your number & a good time to call & I'll help all I can.

Best of luck!
Awesome Thank You!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2016, 08:11 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
About a month ago my left hand went to sleep and didn't wake back up! Some 30 years ago I shattered that elbow and the Ulna joint and a few inches of bone were surgically removed and 6 weeks later that bone had grown back and tried to reform the joint. Flash forward to now and the ulnar nerve has been nearly cut in two by getting pinched inside that joint that shouldn't even be there. I had surgery (Ulnar nerve transposition) last Tues but the prognoses is bleak of much if any recovery in the use of my hand because of the severity of the nerve damage. I still have decent use of my forefinger and middle finger but no guarantee they will continue to work. No way I am letting this stop me from riding! If you run one of these clutches how well does it work and what manufacturer. I know there are at least a couple of these out there but know little more.
I had this surgery done last winter. I still don't have any feeling in my ring finger and little finger.

Have you considered a rocker(foot) clutch and hand shift? You could shift with your thumb/forefinger. Just a thought for another option.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady

Here's my Pirate pic.

Best of luck!
are you using your clutch when you shift ? it would be nice it all you had to do let off the throttle to shift.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I had this surgery done last winter. I still don't have any feeling in my ring finger and little finger.

Have you considered a rocker(foot) clutch and hand shift? You could shift with your thumb/forefinger. Just a thought for another option.
That is an option I've thought about but the auto clutch just seems it would be much more natural by simply letting off the throttle like normal and shifting. At least I think that's how they work. I'm currently still in a full cast so I have a long ways to go before I know what if any recovery I'll get out of this. If I can just get the muscle spasms on the outside edge of my hand to stop I'll be happy. I can learn to live and adapt to the rest of the issues. I took one last ride the day before having surgery since the doc had given about 40% odds of the hand being completely paralyzed after surgery. Thank God I beat those odds and as of today can still pull the clutch on the Harley and my wife's 600 Shadow. I cannot however pull it on my Vulcan 750 I've been trying to sell for some time but still enjoy riding on occasion .

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-16-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone running an auto clutch setup?