General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger down mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Default Bagger down mystery

Thursday afternoon commute, Vasco Road from Livermore to Brentwood Ca.

Long, windy single lane (mostly) each direction. Very heavy typical commute traffic northbound. I happened to be in my car this time, usually am on my Limited. You get to kinda "know" the other bikers on the route... see them every day. As I sat in my car at yet another endless light I saw William (as I came to find out) filtering up to the front of the line.... nothing special.

A few miles up the road...

Debris field starts... a little farther there he is laying flat out on the shoulder, 30 yards later the bike on it's side, been down hard on both sides. Road at this point is straight as an arrow.

I pull over with a couple of other cars already stopped, no one saw anything, speed at the time couldn't have been much given traffic, William, although alert had absolutely no memory of the event. He was pretty busted up, road rash, broken ankle, FF helmet chewed on pretty much everywhere. Sat there with him talking & holding his head/helmet still until the EMTs arrived, which took FOREVER it seemed. It's really in the middle of nowhere. Couple of other drivers found a blanket & stood providing shade.

A real mystery. Hopefully he'll regain some recollection of the event.

William, you have ***** of steel my friend. What you went through would have me squealing like a schoolgirl, you were a rock. Hope to see you back on the road soon.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

GWS William!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,613 Likes on 6,661 Posts

Maybe a wheel locked up or another case of "bagger wobble"? Best wishes to William for a quick recovery.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I've ridden that road many times. Must have been some kind of mechanical failure. Get well soon, William.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

If it was a bike without ABS, maybe the car in front of him slowed and he didn't see it and then slammed on the brakes and locked the front wheel. That could explain it.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:42 PM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Seven years ago I hit a deer and went down. I still have a black spot in my memory. I couldn't begin to tell you what happened between "oh sh*t" and my first conscious memory of feeling like I was in a dryer being rolled and tumbled as I did the rag doll down the road. I have no idea how I parted ways with the bike or whether I rode right over the deer thereby loosing contact between the wheels and the pavement or what??? The mind is an amazing thing.

Last edited by BLMC; 07-16-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

I travel that road quite often myself, it is pretty easy road to navigate at speed. In traffic and filtering it is a bit easier, unless he was nudged by a car inadvertently or unknowingly, perhaps a medical incident etc. It is a shame.

William, I hope you recover soon.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm guessing they'll do a workup on his brain. He might have blacked out for some unknown reason prior to the crash.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

William, although alert had absolutely no memory of the event.
Post-traumatic amnesia. Fairly common in these types of incidents. Hope he's alright and is back riding soon!

Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,115 Likes on 11,091 Posts

I've ridden Vasco hundreds of times. I'm guessing inattention, loss of consciousness, medical mystery, or DUI allowed the bike to drift into the shoulder. Debris field and dirt residue at POR indicates a shoulder ride.
How old is William? No recollection could be momentary epilepsy or a low blood sugar event. Could be heat exhaustion too since that area is 100 everyday.

Last edited by upflying; 07-16-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Bagger down mystery