General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this still the preferred rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Frogg Toggs vs. H-D HiViz. We both stayed equally dry; however, my wife has to consciously pay attention to not touching the hot pipes. There is not a prayer her suit would survive even the briefest of touching the pipes without melting. Mine, on the other hand, have heat shields on the lower legs. Of course, I paid for the upgraded quality.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Harley makes good rain gear but it's way overpriced. Unless you're stuck on H-D branded gear, check out Tourmaster, Dry Rider or Frog Togg. You almost can buy two of these suits for the price of one H-D suit.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM
LowcountryRK
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Seeing as the thread has resurrected itself:

Long term impressions on Army Gore Tex clothing:
Perfect. Works great, costs nothing. There's a reason they give it to the troops - because it is tough and waterproof.

Mid term impressions on very expensive, very high end Rocker Revolution jeans.
Perfect. Work great, costs an arm and a leg, but they are superb, totally waterproof, abrasion resistant, armoured jeans that actually look like regular jeans. There's a reason they don't issue these to the troops - because they are so ridiculously expensive. And are jeans.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been through 2 sets of leaky Frogg Toggs and a Pacific one-pieve from Rev-It (trying to take the thrifty route) before buying a HD Hi-Vis suit. Glad I finally saw the light.

It's comfortable and kept me bone dry through a NC monsoon just a few days ago. Just one tip - if you're wearing a half helmet, don't forget to use the hood.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Bought a Harley Rain Suit many (as in many, many) years ago. Have put it to excellent use on more occasions than I care to remember. I've stayed 100% dry all day (and all night as well) when wearing it. I've been extremely pleased with it.

It was originally called: “Men’s Overpass II Grey Nylon Rain Suit” Harley’s description read: “Keeps you as dry as an overpass - without the shame of being stuck under one. The jacket is constructed of 100% waterproof nylon with mesh lining. Zipper front with hook-and-loop storm flap. Seam sealed. Elastic cuffs with hook-and-loop closure. Removable zip-off helmet-friendly hood. Hand-warmer pockets and right chest pocket. 3M Scotchlite Reflective Material piping and graphics. Pants are seam sealed and feature a heat-resistant shield on the inner legs. Full leg side zipper and stirrups. 3M Scotchlite Reflective Material piping.”

The Part Number on the one I have is 98059-11VM. The original price was $150.00. If I had to replace it? I’d be on eBay tomorrow trying to find another just like it. Use the Part Number and Google will pull up all sorts of information and pictures on this Rain Suit.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by junior07
This is THE preferred rain gear:

Someone should tell him that you're supposed to wear shoes that cover your ankles!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,747 Likes on 6,894 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
After doing a couple of searches, it looks like this is the preferred rain suit:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hi-vis-rain-suit

But all the threads were a few years old. So before I spring for this one, I would appreciate any up to date info.

Thanks,
Brad
It's the best in my book. We bought HD rain gear in 2008 and really got our money's worth out of it. Mine finally developed a leak last year and the wife upgraded us to the new HD high viz. we got to test it a few weekends back on a trip to Tennessee. Well worth the money, fits great, comfortable and people can easily see you.

I have had friends tell me they would not spend that much money and they buy a cheaper suit every other year trying to find the right one.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
It's the best in my book. We bought HD rain gear in 2008 and really got our money's worth out of it. Mine finally developed a leak last year and the wife upgraded us to the new HD high viz. we got to test it a few weekends back on a trip to Tennessee. Well worth the money, fits great, comfortable and people can easily see you.

I have had friends tell me they would not spend that much money and they buy a cheaper suit every other year trying to find the right one.
After your friends spend $50 on a complete POS, then $75 on a set of Frogg Toggs, then $110 on an inferior product, then finally spring for whatever the HiViz is going for ($250?) - ask them how they liked paying a gross sum of $485 for something they should have sprung for in the first place.

I recognize that most of us are in denial when it comes to a rain suit, and I wholly agree that the vast majority of H-D products are 25-50% overpriced because of their "badge", but my HiViz is one product I am glad I went for right from the start.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Bought the Olympia New Horizon rain gear and had to use it this weekend. Worked great. now I just need some better gloves for rain lol.

Quick Reply: Is this still the preferred rain gear?