General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Rant) Dealership Hours

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts
Default (Rant) Dealership Hours

There are seven H-D dealerships in the greater Houston area and not one of them is open on Sunday or Monday. I know Sunday is a day of rest and I'm aware that many states have "Blue Laws" that prohibit the sale of certain items, i.e. cars, alcohol, sex toys (certain counties in Florida) and, yes, even motorcycles, but Texas has no restrictions on motorcycle dealerships being open on Sundays. You would think at least one dealer would be open on Sunday. I mean, they're in the business of selling motorcycles, parts and gear, so why would they be closed on a day when a vast majority of their customers are not working and many of them (including me) wouldn't mind giving them some business. Close on Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday, but not on Sunday!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 AM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same way here in OK, these people need time off too though. No one likes working 7 days a week.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

First world problems.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:59 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogBiker
Same way here in OK, these people need time off too though. No one likes working 7 days a week.
That's why I suggested closing on other days of the week. Then, there are flexible schedules where some employees can be off on certain days, Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday. And, there are dealers that are open seven days a week, so it's not unheard of to be open on Sunday. We're talking about the fourth largest city in the country!

Originally Posted by albertasaurus
First world problems.
I have no idea what that means and I've seen it posted hundreds of times. Is it something you dreamed up? If not, at least post something original.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-18-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDogBiker
Being open more than five days per week does not require anybody to work that much. What it requires is that the dealership is doing enough business to hire more staff, so that they can stay open the days that they want, and nobody has to work more than five days.

The local dealership, Hells Canyon H-D in Lewiston, ID, is an SRL, or Satellite Retail Location, under Lone Wolf H-D in Spokane, WA. Hells Canyon is closed Sunday-Monday, but Lone Wolf is open seven days a week.

But, Lone Wolf is the #3 highest volume H-D dealer in the US, the place is like a small city inside, the service department is enormous, and I have no clue how many staff they have, but it's a lot. Nobody works seven days a week.

GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,749 Likes on 6,194 Posts

That's because you don't have Winter. Around here, they are open on Sunday because the riding season is prime time.

GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:02 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

3 Dealership open on Sunday in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. It is nice when you have that option

GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:04 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm surprised that at least one Houston dealer is not open on Sunday. Maybe because there are so many dealers, none of them have enough business to justify staying open Sundays and Mondays.
There are a lot of dealers, especially along the interstates, that do stay open 7 days a week - at least along my routes through the south and up the east coast.

GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Usually when you start a thread asking for opinions,you get opinions. You start a thread with-[rant] you'll get opinions on that. You really,seriously,don't know what "first world problems" means...?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:11 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

i know a couple dealerships that are open on Sunday's around my way but only 1 that I know of has the Service department open. They do it for "Travelers" basically people who are passing thru etc. that need help which is pretty cool

GalvTexGuy (07-18-2016)

Quick Reply: (Rant) Dealership Hours