General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discolored Parts After Clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Louie-lou
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discolored Parts After Clean

Hi everyone! So I went on a long camping trip on the new Dyna and I came home to wash it and used some degreaser and apparently this stuff can't be used on Aluminum. Attached are some pics of what the parts look like now. Is there anyway to polish these out with some kind of aluminum polish? The cleaner was not on there for very long. Thank you all for the help!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Read the instructions on the can/bottle, and look at what it contains.

Quite a few of these products are highly corrosive to aluminum.

The following users liked this post:
Louie-lou (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Never Dull to polish the aluminum. Available at Whamart and auto parts stores.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Louie-lou
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Read the instructions on the can/bottle, and look at what it contains.

Quite a few of these products are highly corrosive to aluminum.
Its not corroded just like discolored and looks like water spots.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

What the heck brand of degreaser did you use? I've been using GUNK for 40 years and it never did that. Only stuff I've seen do that is cleaner for rough cast aluminum wheels. It has an acid in it. Used to use that on my Shovel cases and heads.

If that aluminum is clear coated then the finish is toast. If not the the spots should polish out with some Flitz or any quality metal polish made for use on aluminum.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-19-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by juiced03
Try Never Dull to polish the aluminum. Available at Whamart and auto parts stores.
I would try Nevr-Dull too. If it doesn't work, I would try a Magic Eraser. If that doesn't work, try Bon Ami.

Simple Green makes a degreaser for Aluminum. I have never used it, but they say it is safe for aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-...re-bullets-btf

Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie-lou
... Is there anyway to polish these out with some kind of aluminum polish?...
If the forum didn't exist, what would you do? Try and clean it with something... water, Windex, vinegar, metal cleaners for use on aluminum, metal polishes for use on aluminum, etc.

What's the worst thing that will happen? It won't look better. What's the best thing that will happen? It'll look like new. Just try something. Walmart or local auto parts stores have a myriad of products to try.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:33 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Here's my educated guess. The "degreaser" ate into some type of clear coat that is factory applied to the bike. Since you are lacking in knowledge regarding what to use or don't use to keep your new bike shiny, I would turn this over to a professional detailer. Almost all HD dealers have someone knowledgeable on cleaning up aluminum since it is a fairly significant problem with Harley lowers.

Ask the detailer at the dealership what he will do to clean it up. Probably he will buff off the remaining clear coat and either re-apply some or leave it for future maintenance.

Go to the Honda dealer and buy some aerosol spray called "Original" spray cleaner and polish or "Honda" spray cleaner and polish. For about 30 yrs I only used "Lemon Pledge" to clean up my bikes, but the Honda stuff is better, and I believe Lemon Pledge is now a different formula. NEVER use anything corrosive.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:25 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Honda spray cleaner and wax is not the same formulation it used to be. Suzuki and Original Bike Spirits are the old formulation.
Simple Green is known to stain Aluminum. Unless you get the Aircraft one I posted earlier.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

Blue Magic polish is good too. Goes on light blue and turns the rag black.
That clear-coating wasn't going to last anyway. I just polish mine..after about three sessions, the aluminum looks like chrome. Hit it lightly about once a month (if you don't get caught in the rain), and it will stay that way.

Quick Reply: Discolored Parts After Clean