General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpleasant surprise (stator)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 AM
LRS
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Unpleasant surprise (stator)

I'm simply posting this to possibly help someone in the future...
I left out this past Sunday morning for a 200 mile day ride to my hunting land on my 06 ultra with 26k miles on it. I made it about 50 miles and the battery and check engine light came on. The voltage was down to 10v. I turned around and took it back home and took out my other bike for the day. Then when I got home, pulled the seat off and looked at the battery. It was 7 years old, so I went and got a new battery. Put it in and voltage never went up over 13 (normally 14+). Drove it 10 miles, voltage started dropping and battery/ check engine light comes on. I then assumed, since the voltage never went up to 14+ to start with and my first battery was 7 years old that possible I got a bad new battery, so I took it back and got another one. Reinstalled it, and the same thing. Voltage started at 13 and within 15 miles, the diagnostic lights came on and voltage dropped. So, I called my local independent engine guy that has always shot me straight and he told me how to check everything with a volt meter and the stator tested bad. He also advised me to remove the primary inspection cover and if, the primary oil had a very foul odor and looked burnt, that would confirm a fried stator. So, I put on my gloves and dug into it. Pulled inspection comer and smoke came rolling out and the odor took my breath,

burnt stator no doubt, and worn primary shoe. My local guy recommended replacing the stator and the voltage regulator because in his experience, if a stator frys, that possibly the voltage regulator is damaged and will follow soon. I'm planning to leave for Sturgis from Ga in two weeks, so I'm going to replace both components and recharge the battery. My local guy is going to order the parts for me from a company called "Cycle electric" (I think is the name). He said they give a 2 year warranty on their parts and HD has no warranty on electrical parts.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Bummer.

Still, to my way of thinking, you got really lucky. That stuff could have held on for a couple more weeks and then failed on the road to Sturgis.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 2,505 Posts

If your 7yr old battery got you home 50 miles out that was a damn good battery, I was 20 miles out and it left me stranded and had to call a buddy.

rk classic

Old 07-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You have a good Indy, good advice. Have a great time in Sturgis.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 AM
LRS
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes, he's a good one. I normally do all my own stuff unless I'm on a time crunch or its over my level of ability/ tools. He's always treated me fair and he knows I check his work.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,727 Likes on 6,186 Posts

You got good advice. Mine went after a simple oil & filter change by Chuck's Dluxe. They unplugged the stator when they changed the filter. I noticed it about 5 miles down the road, and plugged it back in, but the damage was already done. One of the leads had arced and didn't provide a good connection. I put a small hose clamp over the plug to hold it in place, and got from Wyoming to Chicago, but it was thoroughly fried when I pulled into the driveway. Battery, stator, voltage regulator, and new primary oil and gaskets. Chuck told me tough beans when I contacted him. That on-the-road oil change ended up costing me about $450.
Eat **** and die, Chuck.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 843 Likes on 411 Posts

Bad news but good luck. A number of years ago, I had that happen three times on one bike, and the closest to home it ever happened was 500 miles. Your indy's advice on Cycle Electric is also good. Their reputation is great.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,112 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Good to get it done now..gently, before it gets you stuck on a long ride.
The 2006 years (at least the FX models...ask me how I know)...had a poor initial design on the stator. Stopped tack welding the mounting bolts behind it, so the bolts would back out slowly..and start interfering with the stator..causing copper pasta to get all over your primary.
Recommend you use an '07 or newer stator type instead..when it's replaced.
Here's a pic of mine, from my '06 FXDBI

Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Bummer. Still, to my way of thinking, you got really lucky. That stuff could have held on for a couple more weeks and then failed on the road to Sturgis.
Amen to that! Reminds me of my trip from CA to the Grand Canyon riding my old FXR years ago. During the return, at the last gas stop before hitting home bike wouldn't start so had to push start it. Arrived home in the Bay Area two hours later, then discovered the next morning the charging system (stator/rotor) had shorted out. Pro'bly means the bike had been running purely on batt juice for at least two hours the day before. BTW, it was an HD batt.

So OP, sorry to hear of your inconvenience, but be glad it happened close to home as stated by Omaha and others!
~

Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 PM
rotorh60
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same thing happen to me. Replaced everything new from HD. 1,500 miles later, Stator shorted out again. Insulation cracked right next Sator and arced across. Dealer said tough luck. Took along time to get over that incident....

Quick Reply: Unpleasant surprise (stator)