General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(help please)was hit by a car on freeway totalled my bike sent me off in ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 PM
99 dyna fxd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (help please)was hit by a car on freeway totalled my bike sent me off in ambulance

cummuting home from work last month vehicle in middle lane makes unsafe lane change hits me high sides me off my bike as myself and bike hit rear fender area of car in the fast lane sent bike and myself end over end down the freeway bike is completly totalled my leg had several inturnal injuries i now have hospital bills,days of missed work, and a storage fee for my bike aprox.2000$ chp=primary vehicle at fault was car that hit me.
there insurance company says they are not responsible for storage and tow fees WTF?????
looking for any advice on this or how to handle ins company or how/where to obtain legal advice/representation

Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to tell your insurance company to do their part and fight for you. Glad you made it thru it? Why was your bike in storage for so long?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by jtarter
You need to tell your insurance company to do their part and fight for you. Glad you made it thru it? Why was your bike in storage for so long?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Your insurance is employed by you go work this out for you, this claim is complicated because of injuries, job loss, time off, rehab, value of your totalled bike. You might want to get an attorney especially if they claim you were lane splitting. Although legal, it could cause mitigating issues in the settlement.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Reddog01
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, are you familiar with punctuation marks?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Clayjenson
Tourer
Received 320 Likes on 128 Posts

Ya lost me at high sides me off my bike as myself.
Get legal help

Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

most certainly get an attorney and make sure you ask for legal costs. Most insurance companies will do an "automatic" NO, right off the bat, just to see if you'll go away. Medical insurance companies do it as well. Just because they say no, does not mean no permanently. They do it to save money. If you continue and get an attorney, they will move a lot quicker, than if you try to do it yourself. BTDT (Been there done this). It is all about saving money. I always wonder how many people actually give up after the first NO?
I think what the OP meant to say is " unsafe lane change and hits me, and it high sides me off my bike and myself and the bike hit rear fender area of car in the fast lane.
That being said I try to NEVER ride next to a cage if it is at all humanly possible. I will ride in between them, to give myself an escape route, JIC.

Last edited by Diverrick; 07-21-2016 at 10:07 PM.
interceptor_1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding a good attorney along with contacting your insurance company would be where you start. Do you have a copy of the police report stating the other driver was at fault?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 PM
99 dyna fxd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bike was completly totalled was dealing with my leg injuries dr appt etc at first never thought was going to be an issue since police report indicates primary vehicle at fault was car making unsafe lane change right into my right leg and i was spliting lanes was obeying CA.suggested laws/rules for doing so.if i do need legal rep. any suggestions on how to obtain this unfortunatly dont think i know of any of hand. pretty sure this gonna be get ugly but i sure hope not and my injuries are healing

Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Go through insurance and a good lawyer and good luck

Quick Reply: (help please)was hit by a car on freeway totalled my bike sent me off in ambulance