General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bicyclists! #$@&%*!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Rogillio
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
There is a big problem with bicycle ***** around the Boise area. I gotta admit I smile a little every time I hear about one getting hit. They think they own the road and don't pay taxes on them. As was said earlier they rarely adhere to traffic rules and run red lights, etc.

Wow. There might be some serious karma you have to pay for that.

What makes you think cyclists don't pay taxes? I have a couple of bicycles and I pay more than my fair share of taxes. I always follow the rules of the road on my bicycle and my motorcycle and my truck as do most people.

As I posted earlier, I was hit by a car. A lady had a stop sign and was starting to brake as I could see her slowing down, then at the last minute before the intersection she floors it to get across the intersection before the car that was behind me.....she never even saw me until I bounced off her windshield.

The idea of someone 'smiling' about someone being hit by a car just turns my stomach and speaks volumes about you.

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
Take a leisurely ride through San Luis Obispo or any other biking based California city. That'll make you want to shoot every single bicyclist out there.

California even made a law that says you have to clear a cyclist by 3 feet at any time you are in contact with them.

Which is why more and more cyclists ride with Go-pro on their bikes or helmets. Who 'owns the road'? In my opinion (which is worth what you paid for it)

1. Pedestrians. You hit one, you're wrong.

2. Bicyclist - pretty much the same as pedestrian. In the police report from my accident they didn't have a check box for bicyclist so they checked pedestrian. Which is pretty much how the courts view them also.

3. Motorcyclist

4. Cars

5. Semi-trucks

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

It only takes a few jerks on bicycles to spoil the bunch. Thursday, we had a number of bicycles in the middle of the lane even with very clean road edges and shoulders. They ignored cars behind them and even stayed there when we passed. A car would have had to wait for miles. In Washington, we use the 3' rule, but some bicycle riders make that very difficult.

Also, while I agree we need to share the road, at most times bicycles are way under the speed limit. A few seem to resent anyone going the speed limit.

So what frustrates me is: 1) Bicycles that shoot through intersections with a quick glance, ignoring traffic signals. I see it weekday. 2) Bicycles that have been difficult to pass safely, zooming past everyone at a light, now forcing a line of vehicles to once again attempt a safe passing. 3) Two or three abreast who refuse to move to single file. (Same feeling about truck trailers who attempt to pass and cannot, effectively blocking two lanes for miles and miles. I figure in both cases they are doing it on purpose as they are angry small minded people. 4) Bikes that exceed the speed limit (downhill) even through there are many drives with vehicles entering and exiting parking lots. The one T-bone I saw was totally the bicyclist fault and I told the police that I would testify in court for the lady who was t-boned. Even though the bicyclist was hospitalized, it was 100% his own fault. I think he should have been required to carry liability insurance for smashing into a car. He was speeding and passing traffic in a curb side bicycle lane, but was 15 mph faster than the speed limit and traffic flow. He had no lights, flashing or otherwise. He came over the hill into a line of site of a car legally pulling out across traffic to the lane on the opposite side. Had he been going the speed limit, he would have had ample time to stop.

Now that said, except for the few ******** last Thursday, we passed many bicyclists, maybe 40 or 50, waved to a few and for the most part, were happy to see them enjoying the same mountain roads we were riding. In fact, the number of ******** on bicycles is probably proportional to the number of ******** on motorcycles. Further on, we were passed by a sport bike, going into a 25 mph corner, road condition filled with swells and bloats, we were scrapping pegs and he passed use at twice our speed. All I can say is we were very happy that there was not a vehicle coming up hill at the same time. He would have been DEAD. Instantly. At least he waved.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 07-25-2016 at 12:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
ChromeSpark (08-18-2016), Cousy (07-25-2016), tar_snake (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
It only takes a few jerks on bicycles to spoil the bunch. Thursday, we had a number of bicycles in the middle of the lane even with very clean road edges and shoulders. They ignored cars behind them and even stayed there when we passed. A car would have had to wait for miles. In Washington, we use the 3' rule, but some bicycle riders make that very difficult.

Also, while I agree we need to share the road, at most times bicycles are way under the speed limit. A few seem to resent anyone going the speed limit.

So what frustrates me is: 1) Bicycles that shoot through intersections with a quick glance, ignoring traffic signals. I see it weekday. 2) Bicycles that have been difficult to pass safely, zooming past everyone at a light, now forcing a line of vehicles to once again attempt a safe passing. 3) Two or three abreast who refuse to move to single file. (Same feeling about truck trailers who attempt to pass and cannot, effectively blocking two lanes for miles and miles. I figure in both cases they are doing it on purpose as they are angry small minded people. 4) Bikes that exceed the speed limit (downhill) even through there are many drives with vehicles entering and exiting parking lots. The one T-bone I saw was totally the bicyclist fault and I told the police that I would testify in court for the lady who was t-boned. Even though the bicyclist was hospitalized, it was 100% his own fault. I think he should have been required to carry liability insurance for smashing into a car. He was speeding and passing traffic in a curb side bicycle lane, but was 15 mph faster than the speed limit and traffic flow. He had no lights, flashing or otherwise. He came over the hill into a line of site of a car legally pulling out across traffic to the lane on the opposite side. Had he been going the speed limit, he would have had ample time to stop.

Now that said, except for the few ******** last Thursday, we passed many bicyclists, maybe 40 or 50, waved to a few and for the most part, were happy to see them enjoying the same mountain roads we were riding. In fact, the number of ******** on bicycles is probably proportional to the number of ******** on motorcycles. Further on, we were passed by a sport bike, going into a 25 mph corner, road condition filled with swells and bloats, we were scrapping pegs and he passed use at twice our speed. All I can say is we were very happy that there was not a vehicle coming up hill at the same time. He would have been DEAD. Instantly. At least he waved.

Agreed that it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch - but the same can be said with motorcyclists - here is an example from just the past weekend here in Denver - what it doesn't show is them stopping traffic in the middle of Rt 25 to do tricks, doughnuts, etc...
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...?autoplay=true

Last edited by JMC22; 07-25-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:41 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,234 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I didn't see anyone in that video doing anything wrong besides the douchebag in the pickup truck.
Every bicyclist that he smoked out was riding on the shoulder, well out of the way.

Guy in the pickup was an idiot, as are pretty much all of the morons that like to "smoke people out" with their diesel pickups.
That`s one of many reasons I no longer ride on the roads. I didn`t ride in a group either, because of what`s already been said. These bicyclists give us all a bad name when they don`t follow the rules or use common sense. They`re also breaking the law. Most states require them to ride single file on two lane roads. I`m fine with setting my bicycle up in my living room on a trainer and wearing the headphones.

Originally Posted by lloyd123
They belong on a sidewalk or riding trail. If there is none they are fair game
Wrong! They would be a danger to pedestrians if they did that. If they obey the law and use common sense there isn`t any problem. Most bicycle riding trails have been taken over by pedestrians also.....

Originally Posted by Schex3x
And they never wave back, lawd that pisses me off!

joking aside,

I was surprised to see so many cyclist on top of the highest peaks in the Rocky Mtns a couple weeks ago, had no a problems with them, plenty road to share.

To be up there on a bicycle, they must be the real cyclist, bad *****.
That`s right. They are in top physical shape, so it wouldn`t be wise to mess with one of them.....

Take a leisurely ride through San Luis Obispo or any other biking based California city. That'll make you want to shoot every single bicyclist out there.

California even made a law that says you have to clear a cyclist by 3 feet at any time you are in contact with them.
That`s pretty much the law anywhere else. You shouldn`t try to pass them if they`re single file and obeying the law, if you don`t have enough room to do so. They`re working their *** off pedaling, especially uphill, so a little patience would go a long way on your part.....

Originally Posted by Rogillio

What makes you think cyclists don't pay taxes? I have a couple of bicycles and I pay more than my fair share of taxes. I always follow the rules of the road on my bicycle and my motorcycle and my truck as do most people.

As I posted earlier, I was hit by a car. A lady had a stop sign and was starting to brake as I could see her slowing down, then at the last minute before the intersection she floors it to get across the intersection before the car that was behind me.....she never even saw me until I bounced off her windshield.

The idea of someone 'smiling' about someone being hit by a car just turns my stomach and speaks volumes about you.
, but man would he scream if a cage did that to him on his motorcycle.....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Agreed that it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch - but the same can be said with motorcyclists - here is an example from just the past weekend here in Denver - what it doesn't show is them stopping traffic in the middle of Rt 25 to do tricks, doughnuts, etc...
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...?autoplay=true
That's a VERY small representation of motorcyclists compared to 99.9% of bicyclists that run stop signs. Yes, yes.....I know I made up that stat. But tell me I'm wrong. I'm absolutely stunned when I see a bicyclist actually stop at a stop sign or stop light. And most that do stop are kids who seem to know better than the entitled Lycra clad douche bag adults that whiz blithely through intersections without regard for the safety of others, as well as themselves. I see it daily in any metro area I'm in. I have been almost taken out by these f*cks as a pedestrian as well as on my motorcycle. I'll play internet hard guy now and swear that if I got clipped, and we both have to pick ourselves up off the ground, I'll beat them unconscious with their bicycle.

In mountains, I am in awe of the cyclists that do that - as long as they let me by. Got stuck in a 2 mile long traffic jam out east on Hwy 50 going through some mountains. RAAM idiots had follow cars pacing them up a steep grade at 5 MPH. No regard for the 2 miles of people stuck behind them. As we managed to get closer and pass, we could see that everyone that passed was raining whatever they had not bolted down in their vehicles on those idiots. Some passengers were hanging out the windows freaking out on the riders. We were surprised someone didn't beat some ***. We didn't have anything to throw so we just flipped them off. Self absorbed mother f*ckers.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I should clarify: I don't have a problem with bicycles when they are riding single file near the shoulder. I live very close to the Natchez Trace Parkway which is also popular for bicycles. Most of them are considerate of the motorists, but the Trace is mostly straight with very gentle curves. What I saw a few weeks ago in the mountains was just flat out dangerous and stupid.

tar_snake (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
That's a VERY small representation of motorcyclists compared to 99.9% of bicyclists that run stop signs. Yes, yes.....I know I made up that stat. But tell me I'm wrong. I'm absolutely stunned when I see a bicyclist actually stop at a stop sign or stop light. And most that do stop are kids who seem to know better than the entitled Lycra clad douche bag adults that whiz blithely through intersections without regard for the safety of others, as well as themselves. I see it daily in any metro area I'm in. I have been almost taken out by these f*cks as a pedestrian as well as on my motorcycle. I'll play internet hard guy now and swear that if I got clipped, and we both have to pick ourselves up off the ground, I'll beat them unconscious with their bicycle.

In mountains, I am in awe of the cyclists that do that - as long as they let me by. Got stuck in a 2 mile long traffic jam out east on Hwy 50 going through some mountains. RAAM idiots had follow cars pacing them up a steep grade at 5 MPH. No regard for the 2 miles of people stuck behind them. As we managed to get closer and pass, we could see that everyone that passed was raining whatever they had not bolted down in their vehicles on those idiots. Some passengers were hanging out the windows freaking out on the riders. We were surprised someone didn't beat some ***. We didn't have anything to throw so we just flipped them off. Self absorbed mother f*ckers.

Just because you had to slow downdoes not give you the right to be di)ckhead. You throw something at me and I would either shoot your chickenchit as)sor I would run you down beat you half todeath.

I've been a cyclist for long time and the vast majorityof bikers are very conscientious and courteous to motorists. The laws protect the cyclist. If you don'twant to share the road with them have the laws changed or find a differentroad.

Your post perpetuates the stereotypes that bikers are courseand vulgar as)holes.

See, the thing about being an internet tough guy is you just never know who you will rile up with your tough guy talk.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:31 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

There is a tax on fuel that goes towards road maintenance and repairs. I don't know how much gas and/or diesel you use on your bicycle...?

There doesn't seem to be any incentive besides maybe not getting hit to obey traffic laws on a bicycle. What are they going to do, suspend your bicycle license?

Blocking traffic by riding in the road and obviously not going the speed limit, running red lights, and the list goes on.

It sucks that you were hit and not doing anything wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if that person would've hit you if you were in a car.

There's idiots on bicycles who get killed around here because they try and "force" a cage over to the other side of the road. That's a losing battle. The mayor here wants us to be #1 for bicycle friendly cities. Some stop lights downtown area now set up so bicyclists get up front. Many bicyclists here think that's great. Do you want up front when a light turns green? What might you think will happen then?

My comment was for the idiots on bicycles who think they own the road. If it turns your stomach so be it.

As far as Karma goes I'm not Buddhist so....

The following 2 users liked this post by BigDogIdaho:
JimmyDee (07-25-2016), tar_snake (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
... I gotta admit I smile a little every time I hear about one getting hit.
......... that's sick

........ same in Colorado ..... it's a little inconvenient (depending on the stretch of road yer on) , but nothing worth hitting them & going to jail over

Last edited by groupw; 07-25-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Keep in mind, I've been known to ride my bicycle with 9 mm in my jersey. I know several cyclists who do. But this is Alabama and we have a lot of rednecks like me.

ETA I only carried it with me a few times. I got buzzed by someone who thought that was funny. Some cyclists will affix an stiff metal wire to their left handlebar that sticks out about 2 feet. If they got buzzed, the motorist would end up with a nice scratch down the length of their car. I was not so nice to let them off that easy. So after being buzzed I carried my 9 mm and would have emptied the magazine if I got buzzed again. Fortunately I never did. Finally got tired of packing all that extra weight on my ride so stopped carrying. But like I said, many do. If I had a small 32 I might have continued to carry.
With your shoot, shoot, shoot, attitude you should not even be allowed out in public much less on wheels of any type.

tar_snake (07-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Bicyclists! #$@&%*!