General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in charleston sc looking for some nice new places to ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:42 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Riding in charleston sc looking for some nice new places to ride

Moved 3 months ago here. Love the weather, beaches and surf fishing( new to me still got a lot to learn. put allot of miles on the bike since being here. But only have meant a couple of riders and seem more worried about how they look on there streetglides and who they know rather than just riding. ( now this is only my short term experience). been too one bike night down here and just had several people wanting me to tell them my life story. Just a bs time. There seemed like there were some cool people with cool bikes but couldn't get away from these 50 something's on streetglides that don't want anything to do with riding or bikes and it really sucks.( absolutely baffled by these conversation I actually just about pissed myself at the lengths they were going to get me to kiss there *** or be impressed by them. There stories I'll always have.) It hasn't been anything like back home or Fayetteville were there was always good people that enjoyed bikes and having a good time. really enjoy foley beach and the one little bar there I can park for free have a few beers and walk to the beach. Also there a real cool shop in summerville who I also saw at he smokeout in rockingham just a few weeks ago That was fun. Anyhow just looking for some suggestions on some cool thing to do on bikes around here. One of the main reason we moved here was do to my injuries from deployment and the good weather on the arthritis. But probally the only reason I agreed to sell my old house to get a new one was so I could ride my bike all year. Just passed 4800 miles since getting here and most of it putting around except a trip to Benning to see and old freind from Fayetteville and to the smokeout. But tonights ride i realized I need to get some suggestion on new routes.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:57 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

This time of year with 100 degree plus temps, I suggest head to the mountains where it's cooler. I usually ride in your part of the state in the cooler months.
I'm not much on riding to bars. Have you ridden in the Francis Marion NF? SC 45 will take you between Lakes Marion and Moultrie. Francis Marion's tomb is there.
Take 6 to Santee and eat at Lone Star BBQ on State Park Rd. Take a short cruise through the State Park. Get on 95 to cross the lake going north and get off at the first exit 102 and check out the Indian Mound.
Heading south of you check out the town of Bluffton. Then take the wildlife loop through the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.
That's a few starters. How's that?

Old 07-30-2016, 06:54 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The wife and I ride all over South Carolina. 176 will take you all the way to the mountains in Hendersonville, NC. Some towns and small cities but some beautiful and often deserted roads. I would suggest a ride to Hartsville to Sophia's Pizzaria. 176 to 15 into Hartsville. Have lunch. take 151 to Darlington and pick up 52 south. That will bring you all the way back to Charleston. That's a good all day ride. Lots to see.

But really, this time of year, temps are upper 90's to low 100's. We ride in the morning and evening. After 12 it's just too hot. I saw 105 last Saturday on the bike temp. Heat index would have been around 120. And keep an eye on the weather. We always keep raingear because you're liable to run into a storm at any time.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:07 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Be sure to ride over to Shems creek for seafood.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I was there in the service in the 70's. We use to like to ride Ashley River Road. Beautiful ride back then. Not that long though.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gus4440
This time of year with 100 degree plus temps, I suggest head to the mountains where it's cooler. I usually ride in your part of the state in the cooler months.
I'm not much on riding to bars. Have you ridden in the Francis Marion NF? SC 45 will take you between Lakes Marion and Moultrie. Francis Marion's tomb is there.
Take 6 to Santee and eat at Lone Star BBQ on State Park Rd. Take a short cruise through the State Park. Get on 95 to cross the lake going north and get off at the first exit 102 and check out the Indian Mound.
Heading south of you check out the town of Bluffton. Then take the wildlife loop through the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.
That's a few starters. How's that?
Thanks been through monocks corner ( recall on jeep last week) to and this side of lake moultrie. Rode through center of the forest there to Sullivan island nice ride. Will be doing your ride suggestion been eyeing up similaiar route on the map.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Don't do bars much hardly drink anymore do to mess but always enjoy bike nights mostly just enjoy looking at different bikes. Really enjoying seeing some of the homemade parts and older bikes. Big iron-head fan for some reason here the older the better.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by d-streetglidr
The wife and I ride all over South Carolina. 176 will take you all the way to the mountains in Hendersonville, NC. Some towns and small cities but some beautiful and often deserted roads. I would suggest a ride to Hartsville to Sophia's Pizzaria. 176 to 15 into Hartsville. Have lunch. take 151 to Darlington and pick up 52 south. That will bring you all the way back to Charleston. That's a good all day ride. Lots to see.

But really, this time of year, temps are upper 90's to low 100's. We ride in the morning and evening. After 12 it's just too hot. I saw 105 last Saturday on the bike temp. Heat index would have been around 120. And keep an eye on the weather. We always keep raingear because you're liable to run into a storm at any time.
Sounds almost similaiar to the route I took to the smokeout was a great time. Used to go out that way when living in Fayetteville. ( reaford). I am just starting to figure out weather patterns but sometimes they seem to just popup and hover over me at times.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:55 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cocky
Be sure to ride over to Shems creek for seafood.
Been by there quite a few times haven't stopped yet neighbor has a boat and wants to take us there some times. Go to James islAnd every Sunday morning. Very cool place to ride.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grandslam
I was there in the service in the 70's. We use to like to ride Ashley River Road. Beautiful ride back then. Not that long though.
Ride that road a few times my favorite ride back to knightsville and it's a very nice ride. Want to stop at the plantations soon as I get ahead of the bills from moving.

Quick Reply: Riding in charleston sc looking for some nice new places to ride