General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Goggles That Don't Dry Eyes Out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:43 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Riding Goggles That Don't Dry Eyes Out?

I currently have two pairs- one is Wiley X and the other, Bobster. I prefer the low-profile type goggle vs the large, ski-type goggle. Anyway, my eyes dry out(contact lenses) as soon as I'm up to any decent amount of speed. I end up uncomfortable, blinking, etc. I don't have or want want a windshield on this particular bike. Maybe what I want, doesn't exist, just thought I'd ask if anyone has had the same experience and has found an alternative goggle.
Thanks, Dave

Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Granted I haven't worn contacts in 15 years since I had eye surgery, but I discovered that I far prefer sunglasses with foam seals over goggles. They tend to be far more comfortable, they allow enough air to keep from fogging or over drying, and lastly they are far easier to put on in the cold or wet when you are wearing layers...

Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used 7Eye (Panoptx) for years. The frame and foam create a minor restriction of peripheral vision, but that's why God invented our mirrors.....

Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

That shouldn't be happening just because they're "goggles",, my guess is when you put them on your stretching your face/skin and that's interfering with your eyelids ability to blink normally. The strap might be adding to this complication too.
Try closing your eyes/squinting hard when you put'm on, really,, it might help having the skin relaxed instead of stretched under the goggles.
I prefer sport style glasses instead of "goggles", the wrap style bows keep them on your face and you don't need the strap.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 AM
bhaxton
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used the wiley X airrage for several years. They fit my face. I've also got a set of cheapo, ugly goggles that I use for wet and cold riding. They cover more of my face.

The trick to curing dry eyes for me is to make sure I can't see light from inside the glasses around my nose. If wind blows through around your nose, it blows across you eyes and dries them out.

It's worked for me.

I bout forgot. I've got a really nice windshield that I've had for years. Someday I'll clean all of the dust off of it and put it on eBay.

Last edited by bhaxton; 07-31-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: windshield
Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I just use sunglasses with foam around the edges. I also wear contact lenses and they only dry out at night when I'm riding. I get those eyedrops from CVS or any other drugstore that come in tiny plastic single use droppers, just enough for both eyes. Blink a few times after putting the drops in and my eyes don't dry out.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I ride my Dyna using goggles since it has no effective windshield. I bought a set of Harley goggles a few weeks ago. I had been using the Harley brand ones that just cover the eyes but went to a slightly larger style they just introduced. Work GREAT, no tearing eyes, have a foam strip on the goggle that works fine and not uncomfortable, not the big ski type, slightly smaller.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Tracker1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started buying safety glasses at Home Depot that are like wrap around glasses until I found some that fit great and don't let air in around the nose. I bought both tinted and clear. That has worked great for me. They don't cost much and if I pick up a scratch or someting I just buy new ones.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have dozens of riding glasses of every type you can imagine, bottom line is none of those glasses no matter how much they wrap around or fit snug keep the air out of my eyes like a decent pair of goggles do. Those glasses work great if you have some type of windshield to supplement them but when you are goin totally shieldless, goggles are the ticket.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I ride shieldless, and I've got my left over Wiley-X's from Uncle Sam in the sandbox, they suck. I bought some new Wiley-X's that were great in Cabela's and after a 20 minute ride I took them back because they were worse than my Oakley gas cans. What I usually ride in is a no name pair of 15 dollar riding glasses I picked up at my local dealer and I've done 350+ with them and no complaints about my eyes. The lenses aren't as nice as the Wiley-x's but geez, if your eyes are miserable it doesn't matter how clear the lenses are, those cheap *** glasses are by far my all time favorites.

Quick Reply: Riding Goggles That Don't Dry Eyes Out?