General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To HD Engineering Team

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Blackacre
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To HD Engineering Team

The following is a development story/set-of-requirements intended for Harley engineers.

Use Case: I currently own a 2014.5 FXDL and love the bike and all. It could use more power. I don't need awesome numbers like the kawasaki h2 but I do want more.

I am really interested in seeing what this rumored Milwaukee 8 can do and if the numbers are up then you might get a sale and even some highly publicized R&D out of me.

My life is short, can HD do more for me and America?

As a 3rd Gen. Harley enthusiast, I want more horsepower on a dyna or softail platform so that I can buy a new bike from you and add to my riding enjoyment
Acceptance Test 1: bike has at least 130 horsepower from the factory and torque very near that number.
Acceptance Test 2: a supercharger that doesnt cost more than 3k as an add on option.
Acceptance Test 3: a little more lean angle so that I don't have to keep dragging my pegs on mild roads.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

In other words, you want the bike (V-Rod) they've been making for the last 15 years.

The following 3 users liked this post by 0maha:
Br125 (08-30-2016), rubberfrog (07-30-2016), Uncle G. (08-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

130 hp. Check. We'll get right on it.

Signed,
PT Barn... err Harley Management

The following users liked this post:
Blackacre (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

In all sincerity, you might more pleased with a Ducati, BMW or one of the Japanese sport touring bikes.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Blackacre
Advanced

Thanks for the idea Omaha.

Yeah, I thought about that and took one out for a ride at my dealership; Sweetwater Harley. It didn't do it for me. I'm just asking for more power on a Dyna or a Softail.

Thanks Jonesee, I've owned a few different foreign bikes (Suzuki GSXR, Yamaha FZR, and a Kawasaki Z7) when I served in the military. I've tried a Duc und ich spreche nur ein bissen Deutsch but I'm just not down anymore with foreign bikes. To be honest that Dual Sport thing is kind of interesting and I'd be open to taking a Harley off road. That really seems like a no brainer to me.

But for the riding I do in and around San Diego, I just want more power from my American bike; from the factory.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-30-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I want Timken back.

If they had as many engineers as Iayers they would have a better bike. Less accountants too.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zerk:
Blackacre (07-30-2016), TO34 (07-30-2016), TwiZted Biker (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:34 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Did you see the new metal flake paint schemes we're offering?

FNGonaRK (08-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:34 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I ride those same San Diego County roads, often. I also ride an FXDL ( amongst others.)
I see no reason to increase the current power level.
Now, IF you do get HD engineering's attention, please tell them the "clunky/sloppy" shifting in their transmissions is bad engineering. They've been making transmissions for over 100 years, and every shift sounds like a train wreck.
Also, if a rider decides to "pick up the pace", then have suspension components able to handle the increased speeds/forces.
Speed wobbles shouldn't happen on a new(ish) vehicle with a speed under 120 mph. Not that we should be allowed to ride at a buck twenty, but we shouldn't be spit off by the chassis either. For HD, that speed threshold can be as low as 75 mph. (Think bagger with loaded saddle bags.)

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
Blackacre (07-30-2016), Br125 (08-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

The power is good for me and I'm okay with the transmission... but if you do get their attention please ask them to invent a Road King Windshield that folds into fourths and fits in a saddlebag.

Thanks

Blackacre (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Blackacre
Advanced

I've been a lot of places on this planet. We definitely are blessed to have some sweet rides in San Diego county.

I agree with you about the sloppy shift on some HD bikes yet I personally dig the clunk. Reminds me of my grandpa's tractor...

A friend of mine just bought a '16 Fat Bob and we're both hard pressed to reliably find neutral on his. I've heard this is a general issue from a few others too. I must've gotten lucky, I find that green light 99 out of 100 times.

We can disagree on power. I do love the torque of a Harley. I'm just a little unsettled at the moment and thinking about a new bike and got to thinking that there are some basic things I want; like more power. My '14.5 was one of the FXDL on recall for that ignition switch problem that was in the news. The other day it threw a B2201 code and power is cutting in and out because the ignition. Currently waiting on Sweetwater Harley to get the part in and take care of the recall. So I'm sitting here forced to login to an internet account I made 2 years ago...

I've been mulling over trading the FXDL in for a Softail Slim S in WWII colors or a Road Glide Special (in denim black; which they only offer in the regular RG; WTH HD?)...being fully aware that August 23 should see some announcements in new power mills. Really leaning more towards a Road Glide at the moment but really do love my FXDL. HD does make a lot of really good bikes and I'm thankful Sweetwater Harley let's me take em up on their test rides anytime I want.

Speaking of wobble. You're not the first person I've heard talking about that wobble. I'd really like to understand the root cause of that.

Anyway, take it easy and thanks for chiming in. Keep the rubber down.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I ride those same San Diego County roads, often. I also ride an FXDL ( amongst others.)
I see no reason to increase the current power level.
Now, IF you do get HD engineering's attention, please tell them the "clunky/sloppy" shifting in their transmissions is bad engineering. They've been making transmissions for over 100 years, and every shift sounds like a train wreck.
Also, if a rider decides to "pick up the pace", then have suspension components able to handle the increased speeds/forces.
Speed wobbles shouldn't happen on a new(ish) vehicle with a speed under 120 mph. Not that we should be allowed to ride at a buck twenty, but we shouldn't be spit off by the chassis either. For HD, that speed threshold can be as low as 75 mph. (Think bagger with loaded saddle bags.)

Quick Reply: To HD Engineering Team