General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley Owners Group Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default First Harley Owners Group Ride

Going on my first HOG ride tomorrow. Never been on a group ride of any kind. Usually ride alone. Sometimes with one or two other riders.

Not sure what to expect but it seems like a good group. Just a short breakfast ride with less than a dozen riders.

See if this is my thing or not.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

The HOG haters will be tell you not to bother, but I ride a couple times a month with my local HOG group and go to monthly meetings and do hot dogs/burgers a few times a year. We all ride good together and I enjoy the friendships I've made.

The following users liked this post:
tgmotoman (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree, experience it yourself, don't listen to the HOG haters here. You might actually enjoy yourself and if not well at least ya tried

Rax

Old 07-30-2016, 09:33 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I've had a HOG Life Membership for more than 20 years and I've never been to a meeting or a rally.

However, it is nice to meet new friends and even though you may not enjoy riding in larger groups it's possible that you my find one (or more) folks that can ride with in smaller numbers.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
Going on my first HOG ride tomorrow. Never been on a group ride of any kind. Usually ride alone. Sometimes with one or two other riders.

Not sure what to expect but it seems like a good group. Just a short breakfast ride with less than a dozen riders.

See if this is my thing or not.
I also ride alone the majority of the time. The few times that I rode with some combat vet friends of mine, before we left on our ride, the leader/road captain would explain to us the game plan for our ride and if anybody had any questions, that was the time that we spoke up. I would suggest that if you have any questions/concerns about your ride, speak up it just might make your ride a little more enjoyable. Enjoy your ride.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:31 PM
GADAWGFAN#1
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Been thinking about joining local chapter myself but haven't yet...let us know how it goes.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Bailed on too many of the Fayetteville, NC HOG chapter's rides (20+ years ago) due to stupidity & negligence on the part of other riders.

Only time I've ever been hit on the bike was by another bike on a group ride. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of group rides in general.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

In my experience these can go a couple of ways... a casual friendly ride with fellow enthusiasts or a self appointed dictator barking out orders & demanding compliance.

If the group you're going to ride with doesn't do it for you, find another group.... they're out there. Above all be safe, and have fun.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:13 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

I remember my first HOG ride. Buddy & me bought brand new '90s...him an EG & me a Softie Custom. We met at the Buccaneer Diner in Astoria for our first ride with the NYC HOG chapter. We all pulled out of the parking lot & up to the red light. Light turned green & it was like it was a Christmas tree at the dragstrip. They were gone & we hadn't even gotten our bikes into gear yet. We said "Screw this crap", & that was our first & last ride with HOG...from the diner parking lot to the light. Buncha nozzles.

Yea; I'm a hater! I ride where & when I want. Would be too embarrassed to even wear the patch.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Position yourself at the rear of the group. If you don't like how they are riding, or it doesn't feel right to your safety sense, let them go on their merry way.

Quick Reply: First Harley Owners Group Ride