General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Front Cylinder running SUPER hot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 AM
ramblindan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Front Cylinder running SUPER hot!!!

I've done some upgrades to my '99 FXDS TC88 and now I'm having a major issue. The front cylinder is getting super hot. It actually bubbled the high temp engine paint. Temp reached about 290 degrees.

For upgrades I had the cylinder bored to accommodate Screamin' Eagle 1550 pistons. Screamin' Eagle 203 cams. Screamin' Eagle ignition module, coil, wires, and spark plugs. No head work has been done. Valve springs meet factory tension specs. I still have the stock CV carb. However, I did re-jet it for a 95" motor. Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes and Forcewinder heavy breather. I just tore it down last night to verify that I'm getting oil and that the cams were in time. Sure enough, plenty of oil in the top end, and as I figured the cam timing marks were all in line.

I figured it was in time. The bike ran beautifully at idle and a few mid throttle pulls.

The only thing I can think of is the front cylinder is running super lean. The front spark plug is clean and still white. The rear plug looks like it's supposed to, a golden brown.

I'm thinking about putting it all back together and running a compression test to see if I have some sort of an air leak on the front cylinder. If that comes up good I'm not sure what to do next.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

First thing would be to tear it all down and inspect the damage caused by not having good oil flow.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM
ramblindan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything has been inspected. Oil flow is definitely not an issue. There was plenty of oil in the top end.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,659 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
First thing would be to tear it all down and inspect the damage caused by not having good oil flow.
OP stated he had good oil flow. Check for intake leaks first, OP.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Oil keeps everything cool.

High temps = oil or fuel issue. Since it is a carbed bike, that rules out the need for a proper tune like it would on an injected bike.

At the end of the day, it needs to be torn down to repair what was not done correctly the first time around.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
OP stated he had good oil flow. Check for intake leaks first, OP.
That ^

Old 08-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Agree with the others on an intake leak.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:06 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

Only other factor here, if no vacuum leaks, is the bore/piston fit is wrong, and too tight. need to measure piston skirt, and bore to determine, but its a possibility. Having a vacuum leak on one cylinder that is causing that much heat, would cause a run issue, I would think. You report a seemingly decent idle. I have questions about that. But try first. Spraying with carb cleaner should expose that big of a leak. A compression test will not reveal any vacuum/intake leaks. You can run the comp test without having to reinstall everything. just make sure the valves can open and close, is all thats necessary. You don't run the test with a running engine. just remove both plugs, and when cranking the compression should hit 6 times, and thats it. read the results

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 08-01-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Oil keeps everything cool.

High temps = oil or fuel issue. Since it is a carbed bike, that rules out the need for a proper tune like it would on an injected bike.

At the end of the day, it needs to be torn down to repair what was not done correctly the first time around.
I am afraid, that you may be correct here. something other than a vacuum leak I suspect. I really hope you and I are wrong

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 08-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,659 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I am afraid, that you may be correct here. something other than a vacuum leak I suspect. I really hope you and I am wrong
Might be a plugged up front cylinder oil cooling jet. With no oil spraying on the underside on the piston the front cylinder is going to get hot.

Quick Reply: Need help! Front Cylinder running SUPER hot!!!