General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Actually, I do - so do you. Thats how things become laws - somebody thinks something should be a law (opinion) and then gets it on a ballot - whereupon others use their opinions to cast votes yea or nay. The winners either get a new law or defeat a proposed law.

So back to your first sentence, there's absolutely nothing ironic about using government laws as an argument against personal freedom - each and every single one of those laws was once someone's opinion... and enough people shared those opinions to turn them into laws.

The fact that you don't want to wear a helmet is fine, I'm okay with you having your opinion. I won't call anyone any names at all about that. You have a right to share your opinion, vote the way you want to vote, and work to convince other people to vote in agreement with you...

I have all those same rights.

Ride on brother!
You are not my brother.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Years ago I flipped a Z-28 at 90 mph. I got ejected thru the tee tops. The car continued to slide about 100 ft upside down taking off the entire top of the car. Had I been wearing a seatbelt I'd of been decapitated. I woke up 3 days later with only minor injuries. I told my buddy that is why I didn't wear my seatbelt. He said you are an idiot. You are using the 1% of cases where a seatbelt would have killed you and ignoring the 99% where it would help.

I dunno what the percentages are where a helmet would help but pretty damn sure it won't hurt.....

Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Thats how things become laws - somebody thinks something should be a law (opinion) and then gets it on a ballot - whereupon others use their opinions to cast votes yea or nay. The winners either get a new law or defeat a proposed law.

each and every single one of those laws was once someone's opinion... and enough people shared those opinions to turn them into laws.

???? You don't actually believe this, do you? In very rare cases things are put up for a public referendum. But most laws are put forth as 'legislative bills' by members of legislatures. Then the bills are voted on, yay or nay, by the present members of the legislature. If it passes, the law is still subject to veto by an executive or being ruled unconstitutional by a supreme court.

Of course the rejected law can still be enacted by more action by a legislature. And then there are things that are not actually laws, in this sense, but are regulations created by an executive. It is a, sometimes convoluted, process.

Of course you are correct, in a way. People elect members of legislatures, executives, and some judges. Of course U.S. Supreme Court justices are appointed by executives and approved by members of a legislature. But the people ARE involved because they elect executives and members of legislatures.

I only post this to indicate that our laws/rights are subject to the actions/opinions of the people we elect.

Last edited by rjg883c; 08-25-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
???? You don't actually believe this, do you? In very rare cases things are put up for a public referendum. But most laws are put forth as 'legislative bills' by members of legislatures. Then the bills are voted on, yay or nay, by the present members of the legislature. If it passes, the law is still subject to veto by an executive or being ruled unconstitutional by a supreme court.

Of course the rejected law can still be enacted by more action by a legislature. And then there are things that are not actually laws, in this sense, but are regulations created by an executive. It is a, sometimes convoluted, process.
Yes, I do understand all that. You do understand that all of that starts as someone's opinion don't you? That's the only point I was trying to make.

Legislative Bills - start as someone's idea (opinion). Regulations start as someone's "good idea", opinion.

And... of course, there's all the legislation and regulation that starts out merely as an attempt to make money, or increase profits.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I always ride with my helmet on.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Yes, I do understand all that. You do understand that all of that starts as someone's opinion don't you? That's the only point I was trying to make.

Legislative Bills - start as someone's idea (opinion). Regulations start as someone's "good idea", opinion.

And... of course, there's all the legislation and regulation that starts out merely as an attempt to make money, or increase profits.
The way you phrased it was far too simplistic. Almost as if you didn't really understand until it was pointed out?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I'm getting bored with this chatter- Lol

Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
What if you live in a helmet law state? Then what?
This deserves, actually begs for, the stupid question of the year award. What the hell do you think anyone who lives in a helmet law state does?