General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Always a hotly debated subject and as always it has to be freedom of choice. Some of us feel much safer without a helmet obviously others feel the opposite. Suggestion, don't think twice about other peoples opinion this has to be yours only.

The following users liked this post:
Robs2KFLHRCI (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Chekoz77
Why do helmet people always gotta put down people who dont wear them? Folks these days can't stand someone doing something different than they do. If they feel one way than darn it, that's the best way and any other way of thinking is just stupid.
Good point bro !

I tried to think of something other riders do or don't do that would possibly matter less to me than wearing a helmet or not. I couldn't.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 782 Posts

It's your choice to wear one but IF you do decide to wear one then go for a good lightweight modular helmet. Those small half helmets are useless in an accident and are for show in states that require a helmet. If you have a $25 head then buy a $25 helmet.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Stop thinking about how you look while wearing a helmet and start thinking about what you may look like after an accident if you choose not to wear one. In the end you are the only one who can decide.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Robs2KFLHRCI
I am torn between wearing a helmet and not. When I know I will encounter heavy traffic in cities I wear one, but I live in rural America and choose mostly not to wear one. I understand that you can get just as dead in rural areas as you can in major cities, I also understand you can get just as dead with or without the brain bucket. My wife will not ride without hers (rarely rides anyway) and hates that I do not, says she don't wanna be changing my diapers the rest of my life. I am 6' tall and at 185 not a huge burly guy, so a helmet makes me look - uhhh weird I guess is my biggest issue. I have considered one of these: http://www.bikerhelmets.com/ I see many bikers wearing helmets and some in full leather even in summer, and I do see some without.

So, I guess my question is do you ride helmet-less and if so when?
I wear a helmet because I have to, WA state law.
Back in MT & WY I did both. In town/heavy traffic yes, out no (most of the time). As far as safety goes it may be safer but you can die with or without one. Ride Safe

Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Wear it if you want to, Don't wear it if you don't want to.
I rode without one for 20 years before California had a helmet law without any problems.
After they put the law into effect, I wore a beanie for quite a while.
I currently have a F/F modular that I wear in the winter time and a beanie that I wear the rest of the time, in states with a helmet law...I don't wear one when it's not required by law.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I travel and daily commute on my bikes. My annual mileage averages 20-25 thousand miles a year. I always wear a helmet. Everytime a bug, a rock, or other debris bounces off my helmet or shield I thank my helmet. Ride a lot and then you see how often that happens. It also protects from rain and cold. I think those Halloween mask some wear look ridiculous . I also have a friend that is here today and not in the graveyard six years ago when he hit a deer. He kept his helmet for show and tell.

Ultimately if you live in a State with no helmet law it's up to you. Make your own choice.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
which color is faster......
Why Black of course!!!!

Originally Posted by Chekoz77
Why do helmet people always gotta put down people who dont wear them?
This is crazy, It's America...Freedom of choice in some states..Do you mean put down on the interenet?...Only time I've ever recommended a rider wear one is if they are a new rider...So Many Obstacles!!!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 AM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I choose to wear one every time. It's not the law, but it's a deal I made with my wife when I got the bike. I have an Akoury AK1 half helmet (google it), so it doesn't give me mushroom head and is lightweight.

Early this year a guy turning left in front of me (in a rural area, no less) caused me to go down hard at highway speeds. Cracked my helmet open, but I walked away with a concussion, broken rib, and some minor rash. Without that helmet I am scared to think what would've happened.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Mikey_P
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got back from a 5400 mile trip out west. Wore a helmet in the states I had to, not in the others. I prefer no helmet but the last 700 or so miles was in the rain so I was glad I had the helmet, wore it all day. I like the feel of no helmet so I'll continue.

Quick Reply: To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?