Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1131001-to-wear-a-helmet-or-not-wear-a-helmet.html)

Robs2KFLHRCI 08-10-2016 11:53 PM

To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?

I am torn between wearing a helmet and not. When I know I will encounter heavy traffic in cities I wear one, but I live in rural America and choose mostly not to wear one. I understand that you can get just as dead in rural areas as you can in major cities, I also understand you can get just as dead with or without the brain bucket. My wife will not ride without hers (rarely rides anyway) and hates that I do not, says she don't wanna be changing my diapers the rest of my life. I am 6' tall and at 185 not a huge burly guy, so a helmet makes me look - uhhh weird I guess is my biggest issue. I have considered one of these: http://www.bikerhelmets.com/ I see many bikers wearing helmets and some in full leather even in summer, and I do see some without.

So, I guess my question is do you ride helmet-less and if so when?

Jonesee 08-11-2016 12:02 AM

Yes I do and there is no doubt it saved my life.

There are only 2 real reasons riders don't wear a helmet:

1) ego/vanity
2) expression/feeling of freedom

It is your personal choice, but have good health and life insurance.
My helmet protected me and the insurance bills at last tally are north of $1.6 mil.

I'm sorry if that rained on your parade, but it is real world.

GroovusMagnus 08-11-2016 12:05 AM

I rarely check to see how I look when riding with my ginormous head stuffed inside an even more ginormous helmet.

It's your head; protect it if you like the way it works.

Or don't.

GM

SPRINGER 08-11-2016 12:15 AM

Personally, I believe in freedom of choice as to whether or not a person wears a helmet. On the other hand, I know of some that have had an accident and got a direct hit to the top of their head and it helped them out so they could ride another day. Just something to add to it. be thankful that your wife feels the way she does, some might not.

Sling Blade 14 08-11-2016 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Robs2KFLHRCI (Post 15403934)

If I'm riding in a free state, the helmet gets strapped to the bike or a bag- it's a good deflector for hail.
I recommend you try both ways, see what's your comfort zone- you are conflicted because you're not following your true instincts.

Rhino-1 08-11-2016 12:41 AM

If you are torn, then wearing one makes the most sense...

Robs2KFLHRCI 08-11-2016 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesee (Post 15403957)
Yes I do and there is no doubt it saved my life.

There are only 2 real reasons riders don't wear a helmet:

1) ego/vanity
2) expression/feeling of freedom

It is your personal choice, but have good health and life insurance.
My helmet protected me and the insurance bills at last tally are north of $1.6 mil.

I'm sorry if that rained on your parade, but it is real world.

LOL I asked a question, were you trying to rain on my parade? If so you didn't succeed. I asked an honest question, give you my reasons and expected an honest answer! At least you can admit you're sorry! wtf is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14 (Post 15404008)
If I'm riding in a free state, the helmet gets strapped to the bike or a bag- it's a good deflector for hail.
I recommend you try both ways, see what's your comfort zone- you are conflicted because you're not following your true instincts.

hmmm Thanks for the reply, I have tried both ways, on many occasion! I prefer no helmet, but I know it could save me one day. Maybe you misread my post?

I think some are missing my question? I know it's choice, I know the dangers, I know the feel of riding with and without. All valid points I have considered for years, but not the answer to my question.

gusotto 08-11-2016 01:01 AM

Iowa doesn't have a helmet law but I wear one because I want to.
Had a 1st cousin who was the same age as me.
MC accident and she hit her head.
Been dead 50 years ago now.
A life-time lost.
Left behind a one-year old baby.

Interesting because the MC driver had a helmet, she didn't and he lived.

Your choice but it doesn't take much to die from a head injury.
Never want to be a vegetable in a bed.

Robs2KFLHRCI 08-11-2016 01:22 AM

Thanks to all for your replies and I am sure others will weigh in as they see fit. I may be a new member to HDForums (about 6 years under a couple different names) but I am not a new rider so I DO understand the risks yet I find myself rarely wearing a helmet by my own choice. I do see many riders not wear one out on the roads, but it looks like I'll be hard pressed to find many riders here say they don't. I have many acquaintances and a couple close friends that have been in some pretty severe crashes, some ending in death. I've been ran off the road and a deer ran in front of me a couple weeks ago that scared the crap out of me, but it didn't put a helmet on my head yet. Again Thanks for your time and replies!

Jonesee 08-11-2016 01:24 AM

Your only question:

I answered it in my first post. I always wear a helmet and I told you why.

Anymore questions so we can help you make up your mind, or help you rationalize what you really want to do?

Oops you asked a second question.
I sent you private message with my answer.

Originally Posted by Robs2KFLHRCI (Post 15404029)
wtf is wrong with people?