General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s/o Rider's Edge/MSF Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:54 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s/o Rider's Edge/MSF Question

So anyway, I was supposed to have an MSF course last weekend, only to have it cancelled by Hurricane Rita. The MSF people still can't tell me when they are rearranging the class, so I went and booked myself on a Rider's Edge for the 13th October.

Anyway, being the kind of person for whom time to think about things is generally a very bad idea, I've been panicking about the whole thing. So I have some questions for those that have done an MSF course.

What kind of people take them - are there a lot of novice/nervous riders? - Cause I'd feel better if I wasn't the worst one there LOL.
What kind of stuff do they teach you?
Am I going to come away from the course being able (read confident enough) to finally ride on the roads? - I know legally if I pass I'll get the skills test waiver, but I still have to 'feel safe' KWIM?
Does anyone fail?

I have forced myself to start practicing on the back roads, because I was starting to panic myself into thinking I wouldn't be able to ride - which is totally stupid since I used to ride a 50cc moped about 12 years ago - and I'm sure it has to be pretty much the same thing, apart from having an automatic clutch. My clutch control is not surprisingly awful. But I've managed to beat the lugging tendency in first gear now. I guess that means I found the friction zone. Its just changing the gears .... I'm also having a problem convincing my automatic reflexes that the left lever is no longer a front brake, and more worryingly the back break is no longer on the right lever [] - especially when practicing those tight slow turns. I'm kind of pleased that my riding skills aren't as bad as I thought they would be, I can control the bike pretty well, doing slow (5mph) fairly tight turns - at least under a 25' diameter. (In fact, I'm pretty darn good as long as I'm staying in first gear [8D]) I just need to build confidence I guess. I really hope I get that at the Rider's Edge course, I'm so fed up of not being able to whizz about town on my new bike.

Cheers all
Eva

Old 10-03-2005, 07:12 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: s/o Rider's Edge/MSF Question

scooterbooter,
Yes, some people do fail, but only those who do not listen to what the instructors are teaching. Four very good friends / riding buddies are MSF & Edge instructors and it is rare that people do fail, but it does happen. The course is setup so that someone with no motorcycle riding experience (but can ride a bicycle) can learn and pass the course without extreme difficulty. Just remember to pay attention (especially when riding) and follow what the instructors say and not what others are doing. Soon after the class starts all the anxious thoughts will go away and you will enjoy the class, trust me...

Old 10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

OK Scooter, take a deap breath.....exhale. You will have a lot of fun! When my wife took it she was almost 50, the oldest female in the class, not the oldest student. Ages ranged from early 20's to 55. A couple of people came all decked out in Harley stuff, one (a girl) no-showed the second day. 1 Guy wasn't passed because he really had no business driving a car let alone a bike. Absolutely would not take instruction, argued every point with the teacher. Most had very limited riding experience. A couple of fall downs, nothing serious, everyone helped.

Here in California they will let you do the practice riding and retake the test as many times as necessary. Few need more than 1 try. After Vesta got her license we rode around locally nearly every night. It takes a bit of time to get your 'sea legs'. Be patient, take your time. Within weeks we were riding from home to Santa Barbara (150mi) for lunch. In April we did 1300 miles through the South West.

Again, HAVE FUN! Enjoy and learn.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

David is correct.

As for zipping about town that is another thing entirely. The course will teach you skills that you must practice on your own. It is not like the instructor is going to wave a magicwand over your head and POOF you are the world's most competent rider. It was weeks of backstreet and country road riding for me before I ventured out into knocking elbows with in-town traffic. It took a few months before I got rid of the paranoia of having somebody riding my six.

Take your time and practice, you'll know when YOU are ready to venture out into traffic.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:59 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took the class, we had a few folks that had never been on a bike, so I'm certain there will be folks with less experience and skill. Just take your time, listen carefully to the instructor, follow directions and you will do just fine.

From what I've seen, the people who do the worst in the course are the ones who "know how to ride." You know, the ones who know more than the instructor, try to get cute, then dump the bike.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
oldrookie
Cruiser

FYI, if you go to the H-D web site you can watch a set of videos about the Rider's Edge course. Each is about two minutes long and they cover: overview, classroom, range, instructors, and the bike.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer

Oh God, I think I'm going to be 'the one'. The one that turns up entirely kitted out in Harley Gear (yep, thanks to a dealership gift card that came with the bike - my riding gear is a one person mobile advertisment for Harley Davidson - it would only be funnier if I was riding a Honda to learn on [8D])

Although I'm quite thankful my previous experience was on a moped, because my street cred would never allow me to admit that was riding in front of a whole bunch of people riding Harleys. So I'll pretend I've never ever ridden before, and do everything just like I'm told - its got to be better than the course I had to do when I got my moped. I can't remember much, but I do remember being such a chickensh*t that I couldn't comprehend how I was not going to fall off (yes I could ride a bike), so much so, I had to have the instructor ride behind me, holding the bars and the throttle, to show me I wasn't going to die the minute I twisted the grip. It would be so much more helpful if the memories I had of that course, were more the learning to ride and being successful part [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Hopefully, once I get past the nervousness of handling the bike - especially the whole open throttle - VROOOOOOM thing (its a heck of a lot more ooomph than my old 50cc ride - its a tad un-nerving), and I get used to having to shift gears, my head will remember the first driving experience I ever had was on two wheels, and that I learned to handle city traffic that way first. It seems like such a long distant memory.

I must have had no fear back in the day.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scooter,

I wouldnt think about it so much. The courses are really easy and fun and the instructors are there to teach and make sure the students learn as well as have fun. The moped experience is great to have but obviously, it's much different than riding a full size motorcycle. As previously mentioned in the above posts, the course will teach you the basics and you will most likely pass the test to recieve your endorsement. It does not mean you can rush right out into rush hour traffic though. The best thing you can do after the course is practice, practice, practice. They are going to teach you things that might seem unfamiliar to you such as looking through to the end of a turn and keeping your head up when you ride, and of course, the good ol' press and roll. All of these skills take practice. The courses are awsome and I am sure you will enjoy them. Have no anxiety and you will do great! Best of luck to you, and remeber to ride safe!

Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I took the course, there was all kinds of 'experience' in the class. Everything from a guy that had been riding 30 years, to a girl that had been riding a Buell Blast for a month.

Then there was the couple in there 50's. They showed up in their Benz. They had bought a Road King, had had it delivered to their house, and had never ridden it. I could tell they were going to have problems in the class when they couldn't even ride the 'Air Motorcycle.' I'll tell ya, those folks were so uncoordinated they probably didn't have any children cause.....lol...well...you know what I mean!

Before lunch on the first riding day, they left the class. (I coulda kicked myself later for not finding out who they were. I probably missed a great deal on a Road King!)

We had another guy that left the class mid-afternoon.

Everyone else hung in there and passed. The instructors were great and even though I had been riding over 25 years, I learned some things that have saved me more than once!

I highly suggest for anyone that wants to ride, or is already riding, to take the course.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Like most people on this forum, i had started riding bicycles at around 7, graduated to motorcycles at 16 I rode 50 Hondas 90 Yamaha's They were light and easy and you could throw them around if they started to go down. At 19 I graduated to a 650 Triumph and later a 650 Yamaha. Long story shorter, I was riding for over 30 years without getting a Motorcycle License Earlier this year I decided to buy my first Harley. Wanting everything to be legal, not wanting to take the test on a "big" bike and not knowing anyone with a smaller bike I could borrow, i looked into taking the MSF classes. They provide the bike (250 Suzuki) and at the end you get your license, and it is free. Great idea! First day I meet people in my class that have never been on a motorcycle let alone drive one. Whoa I thought this will be fun, but I know how to ride 30 years only two minor accidents (one the guy ran a stop sign and hit me) I know how to ride! Well I can't tell you how many times during the course I said "I didn't know that" but it was quite a few. During the classes we all became fast friends. At the end, we ALL got our licenses. The people who were never on a bike were riding fine. People who started by looking terrified were riding with confidence. I, as a guy who knew how to ride dammit! learned a thing or two that made me more confident also. I think these courses are the best thing for anyone who wants to learn all the nuances and techniques necessary to stay alive on the road. My wife wants to take the course next summer and get her own Bike and I am going back for the advanced rider course. It is well worth the time and effort. My 2 cents

Quick Reply: s/o Rider's Edge/MSF Question