General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership won't do power commander

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM
jayc2640
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealership won't do power commander

I just got some Rinehart slimline duals, a big sucker air cleaner, and a power commander v for my 2016 ultra limited low. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I called the dealership about installing. They told me that they will not install or work on any tuner except Harley.

So, I guess I'll do the installation myself. I've watched videos on installing all three parts, and it doesn't look too hard, but I wondered if there is anything I should watch out for?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could always find an Indy that will install it.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:20 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

It really is simple. the hardest part is routing the cables through the frame.

Find a similar setup (Aircleaner, Pipes, cam) on the dynojet website to what you have, and download the dynojet software and the map. Disconnect the ECM. Pull the rubber boot off the connector, and put it on the corresponding connector on the PC. Run the cable through the frame. Connect one side of the PC to the ECM. Connect the other side to the connector that was originally connected to the ecm. Slide the boot back over the connection. Connect the PC to a laptop & open the Dynojet software. Follow the on site instructions on setting Idle throttle and WOT. Open the map in the dynojet software, and upload it to the PC by following the website instructions. Recheck idle, and WOT.

Get the bike nice and warm and take it for a test ride. If you notice that she does not run right note the gear and rpm ranges. You can tweak it out like that, or take it to a dynojet shop in your area by finding one on their website and having the bike dynotuned.

That will be $150.00 please.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

If you bought the PC5 with a pre-loaded map, it should be a simple plug in.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Call around..... That's the beauty of HD there's a dealership or 2 in every city. Somebody will eventually say yes

Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 PM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership not only installed the PC, Pipes and Breather on my Breakout, but they dyno'd it as well. No questions asked...amazing the differences between dealers.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Because they want you to buy from them.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,150 Likes on 3,797 Posts

Originally Posted by rebeltruce
My dealership not only installed the PC, Pipes and Breather on my Breakout, but they dyno'd it as well. No questions asked...amazing the differences between dealers.

There is a wide gulf of difference when it comes to dealers. Mine installed all the Stage 1 items I bought (DK Custom AC, V&H Big Shots, and Dyno Jet PV2 w/ pre-loaded Fuel Moto map) as part of the deal when I bought the bike.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Because they want you to buy from them.
That certainly is the primary reason; however, I believe installation of the PC V voids any existing warranty. If this is a consideration, I'd look into that issue first before doing a self-install or finding an indy who will do the work.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Installing a tuner shouldn't "void" the waranty- any needed repairs that are attributed to the tuner of course wouldn't be paid for by the MOCO- nor should they be.
But the warranty would still be in force.

Dealers will vary because they are independent business that can operate any way they wish as long as it doesn't violate their dealership agreement.
That's why generalized statements regarding the dealers are quite often incorrect.
There are 700+/- dealers in the USA alone, so your gonna get all sorts of differences in what they will and won't do.

Quick Reply: Dealership won't do power commander