General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned buying from Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

This is exactly why I quit getting my hookers off Craigslist!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

You're a better man than me. I would not let him off the hook that easy. You don't need a lawyer to prove he sold you the bike. At a minimum, you take him to small claims court, file a police report, and let your DMV know that he sold you the bike unregistered or titled in his name.

This seller obviously flipped the bike. That means he bought CHEAP for a reason that you don't yet know about... But you will. He outright LIED about what he was selling you. Not because he didn't know, because he was intentionally was misrepresenting the bike and purposefully misleading you.

Don't let this scum get away this, and more importantly, don't let him do it to someone else.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
This is exactly why I quit getting my hookers off Craigslist!
Smart move - everyone knows the EBay hookers are a LOT better...

The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lifestarts@40
You're a better man than me. I would not let him off the hook that easy. You don't need a lawyer to prove he sold you the bike. At a minimum, you take him to small claims court, file a police report, and let your DMV know that he sold you the bike unregistered or titled in his name.

This seller obviously flipped the bike. That means he bought CHEAP for a reason that you don't yet know about... But you will. He outright LIED about what he was selling you. Not because he didn't know, because he was intentionally was misrepresenting the bike and purposefully misleading you.

Don't let this scum get away this, and more importantly, don't let him do it to someone else.
And the OP had a dialog going with the previous owner - I would have asked him what he sold it to the flipper for. Nothing wrong with flipping a vehicle as long as you're honest about it - and it sounds like the latest seller wasn't. Me, personally, I'd do two things - one, make sure that the bike was, in fact, an 883 and not a 1200. If it is, you have grounds to legally go after the scuzz you bought it from. If it's not, then there's no real worry, correct?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer

If the bike were converted to a 1200, I'd have no issue with that. It's clear to me that this tool pulled a 1200 AC emblem out of his tool box and called it a 1200.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Cavet emptor. There are those out there who will take advantage of others. Craigslist makes it easier to reach people. Could have been much worse.

There is not a thing wrong with flipping bikes, cars or horses (whatever) and unless it is specifically against the law where you live, nothing wrong with selling a vehicle that you haven't put in your name. If you buy to resell, why go through the time and cost to register something you'll never drive or ride? Don't waste the time of law enforcement with trivial **** like that. As long as the title is good and has a signature of the person whose name is on front, what's the issue?

OTOH, the guy who sold you the bike, if he put a 1200 emblem on it when it is not, is an *******...

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

It looks to me as if he bought it cheap knowing he could slap a 1200 emblem on it and flip it quick for the difference. I haven't been shopping Sportys lately so I don't know what the price difference is between an 883 and a 1200 with all other things being equal - but I bet ya dollars to donuts the last seller sure as hell knew. Figured he could buy an 883 at 883 pricing and sell it as a 1200 to pocket the difference. The fact that he went silent on the buyer kind of drives that point home...

Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakenok
Cavet emptor. There are those out there who will take advantage of others. Craigslist makes it easier to reach people. Could have been much worse.

There is not a thing wrong with flipping bikes, cars or horses (whatever) and unless it is specifically against the law where you live, nothing wrong with selling a vehicle that you haven't put in your name. If you buy to resell, why go through the time and cost to register something you'll never drive or ride? Don't waste the time of law enforcement with trivial **** like that. As long as the title is good and has a signature of the person whose name is on front, what's the issue?

OTOH, the guy who sold you the bike, if he put a 1200 emblem on it when it is not, is an *******...
I don't know about Oklahoma, but here in Florida and in MI it's ILLEGAL to NOT register and title within a short time period. In addition to collecting taxes due, it protects people from crap like this.

I've flipped many cars and boats. Buy them cheap because they need something, fix, clean up, resell for profit. Nothing wrong with that. Blatantly screwing people is not only a dick move, it's illegal.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Assuming that your story is all correct I think you were scammed.
Perhaps not scammed like some overseas lottery but certainly scammed.

The seller obviously felt that an 883 upgraded to a 1200 wasn't all positive or they would have been forthright with that information.

If the seller was selling an 07 Sportster 1200 Custom that's what you should have been informed that you were buying.
If the seller was selling an 07 Sportster 883 that was upgraded to a 1200 that's what you should have been informed that you were buying.

The guy is a lair and a cheat by omission, however to get any satisfaction it's going to take you some time and money, both of which you might not get back.

The blue book difference between the 883 and 1200 is about $1000.
The 1200 upgrade kit is around $7-800, so money wise you didn't get too ripped off that is if in fact the upgrade was installed and done so correctly.

Here's what I'd do; contact the seller and explained to him that the bike is titled as an 883 not a 1200.
He will probably then divulge that the bike was upgraded to a 1200.
Ask him then why he didn't say that it the first place?

If you're not happy with the bike then tell him you want your money back.
He may or may not oblige you.

If you're happy with the bike; anyone of knowledge who buys it from you will need to have some proof of the 1200 upgrade.
To me that proof is paperwork that shows at least the parts that was purchased.

If he doesn't have any paperwork then as far as I would be concerned there's no reasonable way to prove the upgrade was done.

Tell him you either want all the paperwork that shows the bike was upgraded to a 1200 with a written statement that he in fact upgraded the bike or you need the difference in blue book value between an 883 and a 1200 which is $1000.

Since the guy wasn't upfront with you in the first place I doubt you'll get any satisfaction.

As a lesson, don't ever buy any vehicle regardless of how many wheels it has without a bill of sale listing the year, VIN number, make, model, mileage and price of transaction.

Also it's advised to have a witness preferably a notary public.
Any bank has a notary and if you're a member will provide the service for free.

At the end of the day just like anything "if it isn't written, it was never said".

Last edited by Bluraven; 08-22-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If the bike were converted to a 1200, I'd have no issue with that. It's clear to me that this tool pulled a 1200 AC emblem out of his tool box and called it a 1200.
I would.

The gearing is different on an 883 vs a 1200. A 1200 kit only makes a big bore 883. The only bright spot is you may benefit from insurance premium savings insuring a titled 883 vs 1200. Many companies charge less for smaller displacement machines.

OP you went to CL/Harley College. Whether you graduated or not is yet to be be determined. Greed always plays a part in getting taken. An incredible deal is usually just that; "incredible".

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 08-22-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Lessons learned buying from Craigslist