General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VA Residents who bought out of state...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Iron_Dokko
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VA Residents who bought out of state...

Dear Virginia residents that require that ugly annual Safety Inspection decal they stick on your cars and bikes,

Have any of you bought your bike out of state, brand new from a dealership? Did they provide you with that ugly, Virginia Safety Inspection tag? Mine did not... they swear up and down it's not needed because it's brand new; not requirement for first year, even though I pointed out every VA dealership has the decals on them. Even if they are technically correct, I might just get the inspection done, anyway. Why give an excuse for cops to pull me over and ask for license and registration?

Anyway, just curious... are they wrong? Were they supposed to provide the inspection decal? By the way, we're talking Maryland (not like shipped over from across the US); a dealership authorized to deal in neighboring states meaning they did provide me with VA license plate with tag, title, and registration... everything except for that safety decal.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I live in NY. The safety inspection can only be performed by a licensed NY state inspection station. When I bought out of state, the selling dealer (Texas & New
Hampshire) could do all the registration paperwork but I still had to have the vehicles inspected in NY

Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Never expect an out-of-state dealer to know ANYTHING about the laws in your own state.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,574 Likes on 2,514 Posts

The state you buy the bike in will put temp tags on, ride it home get it registered in VA before the 30 days are up then get an inspection, good to go

rk classic

Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Dokko
Dear Virginia residents that require that ugly annual Safety Inspection decal they stick on your cars and bikes,

Have any of you bought your bike out of state, brand new from a dealership? Did they provide you with that ugly, Virginia Safety Inspection tag? Mine did not... they swear up and down it's not needed because it's brand new; not requirement for first year, even though I pointed out every VA dealership has the decals on them. Even if they are technically correct, I might just get the inspection done, anyway. Why give an excuse for cops to pull me over and ask for license and registration?

Anyway, just curious... are they wrong? Were they supposed to provide the inspection decal? By the way, we're talking Maryland (not like shipped over from across the US); a dealership authorized to deal in neighboring states meaning they did provide me with VA license plate with tag, title, and registration... everything except for that safety decal.
Out of state dealers can't perform a VA safety inspection, even though many MD dealers can issue VA tags. Kind of a Catch-22. I've bought a number of bikes from MD dealers and had go to VA inspection station to get "legal".

Edit: it's not "good for a year". If you have VA tag, you need the inspection sticker.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Iron_Dokko
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'll be spending $12 for that aesthetically pleasing, reflective sticker. I hope I don't get pulled over on the way.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Bville-Bud
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Two thoughts -

1. Yep you need an inspection.
2. If they are giving you a line of BS about not needing an inspection, what other BS are they giving you? Find a dealer or seller you can trust.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:05 PM
SilverStreetGlide
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Virginia laws are for Virginia dealers. If u buy out of state u must comply with the laws the bike is registered. In Virginia only Virginia based businesses are allowed DMV inspection. Once you have your official VIRGINIA REGIRSTRATION u can go to any authorized VA inspection dealer or shop or garage....etc. for your inspection sticker and paper work.'

Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Move to Florida. Don't need no stinkin' inspection, no stinkin' helmet,no stinkin' insurance; just a stinkin'
registration. And, as long as you ain't bein' a stinker, the cops pretty much stinkin' let you run any stinkin' equipment you stinkin' want,including stinkin' pipes.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Wow, those VA stickers are quite hideous. At least in PA the ones for bikes are smaller than that for cars.

Quick Reply: VA Residents who bought out of state...