General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the truth about the new EPA regs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:07 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts
Default What is the truth about the new EPA regs?

I have heard a lot of conflicting info on dealer warranties and servicing.

I read the EPA filing and judgement against HD but wasn't sure about how that will influence model years prior to 2017. I stopped in the dealer today to talk to a few folks who I trust. What I was told is that from now on, any EPA non-compliant accessories or modifications results in the void of drive train warranties on all 2017 and greater models. Apparently, the EPA tried but could not make this retroactive to all model years as warranty contracts have already been signed and this would probably result in litigation and class-action lawsuits over contractual issues.

So, if you have a 2016 or earlier bike apparently you are safe in terms of warranty issues. Going forward, on the purchase of new bikes, part of the warranty paperwork you sign will contain all these stipulations. Dealers cannot install or modify your bike to a non-EPA complaint state and if you bring your bike in for servicing and it has any of these conditions, they are required to null and void your warranty and cannot perform any maintenance or service until the bike is brought to an EPA compliant state. Random audits will take place and any violations will result in the dealer and HD being fined $37,000 penalties per bike per violation. There appears to be some issues still floating on whether they can service bikes prior to model year 2017 that are not EPA compliant.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:15 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't believe many people have powertrain problems within the two year warranty period. As for the mx restrictions--just keep the take-off OEM parts. If the scoot has to back to the dealer then put the OEMs back on and it won't be an issue.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:22 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
I don't believe many people have powertrain problems within the two year warranty period.
Uhm, just for the record he said "drivetrain" and that includes the engine.
Got a bad Idle Air Control valve? Sorry, can't fix it.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:41 PM
MiniWolf

Yeah, the power train includes any component used to deliver power. This includes anything related to the operation of the engine and transmission. You will pretty much lose all warranty coverage on your engine and trans if you even just do something very minor like add a V&H slip-on.

The specifics will likely be detailed in the new warranty agreements. Maybe someone who purchased a new 2017 can give more info.

From what I was told, this is pretty much the EPA strategy to get people to keep their bikes compliant. They figure if your warranty gets popped and the dealer isn't allowed to perform any maintenance or service on a non-EPA compliant bike, then you have incentive to follow the rules and keep it all legal. Every night dealers are required to load all their service reports and the EPA is going to be doing random audits. This will keep the dealers from going astray.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 08-28-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:47 PM
MiniWolf

I don't believe many people have powertrain problems within the two year warranty period. As for the mx restrictions--just keep the take-off OEM parts. If the scoot has to back to the dealer then put the OEMs back on and it won't be an issue.
This applies to extended warranty plans as well. You cannot purchase an extended plan if the bike is not compliant. If it goes out of compliance you lose the extended warranty coverage and the money you paid for it. Can't do anything to the bike that is not within EPA regs.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:55 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Is this different than for example: Chevy and a Corvette with non-EPA compliant cams/intake/exhuast?

The following users liked this post:
MiniWolf (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:07 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Unless they're rewriting new warranties which I doubt most of this talk is bs. Harley is still pushing mods they're all just epa compliant now. Don't believe me go to a dealer or look through the new SE parts catalog. They have kits for stage 3 for the new waukee8. I don't think there are new laws anyway. They just pinched HD because they were selling and installing non compliant parts.

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
MiniWolf

Is this different than for example: Chevy and a Corvette with non-EPA compliant cams/intake/exhuast?
I think this is just the EPA clamping down on HD. They smelled blood and decided to make themselves look important by making going after easy prey. Someone at the EPA must have been really pissed off. Someone probably drove through a regulators neighborhood at night with drag pipes. I think this is a case of a segment drawing too much attention to itself. Pretty much everyone on an HD has a modded exhaust system and the motto has always been the louder the better.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:14 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by wastedranger
Unless they're rewriting new warranties which I doubt most of this talk is bs. Harley is still pushing mods they're all just epa compliant now. Don't believe me go to a dealer or look through the new SE parts catalog. They have kits for stage 3 for the new waukee8. I don't think there are new laws anyway. They just pinched HD because they were selling and installing non compliant parts.
This is done for 2017 and later. You cannot bring the bike out of an EPA compliant status without voiding your warranty. That I am sure of. It's in writing on the EPA settlement and the dealer verified it for me today. Any installation of non-EPA compliant parts on a 2017 or later motorcycle automatically renders the drivetrain warranty null and void. No modded exhausts, tuners, maps, or accessories that are not EPA compliant. Which means you are pretty much stuck with the stock sewing machine sound unless you dont mind voiding your warranty and can service the bike yourself. As per the new decree, it is now illegal for HD to service or maintain any non EPA compliant bike.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 08-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:32 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,054 Likes on 11,067 Posts

All of this means you should vote carefully in November.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
jakenok (08-29-2016), TenMidgets (08-29-2016)

Quick Reply: What is the truth about the new EPA regs?